Oxford University

www.ox.ac.uk

Oxford University Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Oxford University – Oxford – “University of Oxford, Computer Science Department”

Not yet rated.

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten

Christopher Francis Patten

Pros
  • The town of Oxford is also a great place to live(in 5 reviews)

• Top people to work with and a beautiful city to live in(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • very expensive to live especially the housing(in 3 reviews)

• highly competitive, no job security(in 3 reviews)

It's OK, but not as good as you can think of.......

Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

Pros1) The name
    2) good job security as it attracts more money/funding than many other UK universities.

Cons1) Dull and boring city, 2) arrogent people, 3) very expensive city, 4) too much politics and research collaboration is not as good as you expect. Oxford is good when you have children and family here to maintain good life quality. However, if you are a young, single bachelor (and also a rising star on the peak of career). You may have to commute to London to have some fun as nothing really you can do it here.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Experience depends very much on where you are working within the University

Development Officer (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsUnique experience and steeped in history.

ConsVery slow to change and tends to keep inefficient systems and staff for a long time.

World class

ProsOutstanding research and world class environment

ConsHighly competitive expectations very high

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment for research

ProsFaculty members are world class, with research work well supported by industry and government grants.

ConsGraduate student support is limited. Libraries (atleast for engineering and the sciencies) are crummy. The collegiate system is designed to support undergraduates -- while academic terms and the concomitant social buzz lasts for 6 months a year, a PhD cannot help but feel isolated the rest of the way.

Great Experience

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to be to learn and to meet great crowd of people

ConsToo much old senseless traditions

Advice to Senior ManagementSmile

It's not only the type of work but also the type of life that matters

PDRA (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsEnjoy the life at Oxford is a one-time-in-a-life experience. The spirit energised in academic/research work often makes you feel so previliged to work there

ConsIt's lack of mordern facilicities, but for a 900 year old univ/city, what can you complaint for? However look out for the slow pace of life since it may well kill your ambition slowly...

Great place to work

Principal Bioinformatician (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsLocation - Oxford is a great city specially if you like Science and Academia in general as there is plenty with free talk by very important lectures every so often.
    Salary - for a being a non-profit organization the pay is good. For many positions, University of Oxford staff get better salaries than in other other university in the UK including London based institutions and the increased cost of life there.
    Flexibility - as for most non-profit organization in the UK you have flexible hours and home-work when necessary.

ConsYou still probably would get pay better in a company, but the pay is nonetheless good.

Good place to do research work

Post Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsLife and work balance. Multiculture working place. A lot of internal support.

Consnot much rewards and benefits

Excellent first post-doc in Oxford

Post Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGood working environment and friendly coworkers. First and second post doc positions have been similar and worthwhile. Research is fun and interesting with good development progress.

ConsTeaching opportunities have been fine and easily attainable for me as I was an undergraduate here, however many colleagues haven't been able to get experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost docs should be found college affiliation.

Your ideas are heard attentively by experts

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsI spent 3 months at the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Oxford during my PhD studies. I was a great opportunity to work with state-of-the-art medical devices such as MEG and fMRI sanners, with best processing techniques. The Principal Investigators were very welcoming, we had meetings to share ideas, and the data was provided to me, so that I could develop my own ideas.

ConsNo compensation. Went at my own costs.

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!