Oxford University

www.ox.ac.uk

Oxford University Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Oxford University – Oxford – “University of Oxford, Computer Science Department”

Not yet rated.

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten

Christopher Francis Patten

Pros
  • The town of Oxford is also a great place to live(in 5 reviews)

• Top people to work with and a beautiful city to live in(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • highly competitive, no job security(in 3 reviews)

• A bit old fashioned and a little too 'British'(in 3 reviews)

Horrible place to work or put a loved on in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe food served is of great quality

ConsPlace smells
    Nursing staff and management or inept

Advice to Senior ManagementFire existing management staff and hire qualified people

Great researching resources and students; poor salaries, employment rights and support

Tutor and Instructor (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsThe students are ambitious and wonderful to teach (mostly), and the libraries and community of scholars is vibrant and ambitious, if occasionally overly-competitive or a few years behind the trends.

ConsFew, and increasingly fewer, tenured jobs, with more emphasis on by-hour and adjunct teaching, which means no payment for marking and prep. I was once told that, because I was based at a different college to the one I was tutoring for and was a grad student at the time -- that I had no right to photocopy for my students and that therefore any photocopies I needed for class would come out of my £22 per (classroom) hour wage. In general, Oxford knows that the brand has capital, and that academics cannot be choosy about their jobs in this market, and it seems to take full advantage of these facts by treating their employees as people who should be grateful just to be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessionalise your approach: ensure that everyone ranging from full professors and chairs to graduate tutors can benefit from salary and per-hour wage transparency, a clear year-by-year salary/wage ladder, and a federalised expectation of what colleges should be providing to their tutors outside of basic wage and/or salary. In general, federalise teaching provision and payment as much as possible: opportunities, hierarchies and support ranges far too drastically from college to college.

Smart people, good work experience, but poor quality of life on the salaries available to postdocs.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsThe lab I work in has lived up to my exceptions. My supervisor and lab mates are intelligent, friendly, well spoken, and very hard working. As anywhere, it's hard to find a good work/life balance, but I no one is pressured to work beyond a standard work day.
    The labs I've been in are well funded, well equipped and well stocked.
    The city is beautiful. There is amazing architecture, as well as wonderful countryside walks very nearby.

ConsThe departmental bureaucracy can be painful to interact with.
    Oxford (and the south of England in general) is expensive to live in, and the postdoc positions do not pay enough to make living here truly comfortable.
    The university college system does not work well for postdocs. Opinions vary, but I feel that the system tends to make socializing more difficult - i.e. it tends to be isolating.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

i am a postdoc in genetics

Clinical Research Project Manager (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

Prosif you want to do cutting-edge science, and the projects are truly challenging.

Consit's low paid, could be frustrating and sometime political

Great experience.

ProsGreat start to grow your career. Great work and life balance.

ConsYou are unable to move ahead unless you know the right people.

Feudal-In a good and a bad way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFascinating people, Some remaining emphasis upon scholarship. Can be a wonderful place to pursue your unique passion. Can be supportive of genius, but only the right kind.

ConsFeudal! Fewer opportunities for women. Things really shut down after 5pm. Not very cross disciplinary. Increasingly corporate and not accepting of differences or 'unsexy' academic topics.

Research Student

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGreat tradition, nice town, many chances to meet others.

ConsWorkload really varies lab to lab, and people can be very reserved. Expensive living as well, and technological support can be rather behind (e.g. no wifi)

Advice to Senior ManagementCan be more efficient. Colleges and departments don't really talk to one another. Should be improved.

Research associate

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

Pros* Lots of academic freedom.
    * Good environment for conducting interdisciplinary research.
    * Good reputation.
    * Easy to get commute to from other parts of the SE.
    * Lots of networking opportunities if you are out-going

Cons* A very expensive place to live. One bedroom flats are upwards of £800, and many people have to share houses and flats.
    * Meritocratic nature of the university is such that there aren't many opportunities to progress beyond your career level without leaving the university to get elsewhere and return.
    * The city becomes very crowded with tourists and language school students in the summer.

It's OK, but not as good as you can think of.......

Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

Pros1) The name
    2) good job security as it attracts more money/funding than many other UK universities.

Cons1) Dull and boring city, 2) arrogent people, 3) very expensive city, 4) too much politics and research collaboration is not as good as you expect. Oxford is good when you have children and family here to maintain good life quality. However, if you are a young, single bachelor (and also a rising star on the peak of career). You may have to commute to London to have some fun as nothing really you can do it here.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

postdoctoral research in Oxford

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsAcademically stimulating environment, interesting people allround. Tip: as a postdoc make an effort to join a college / other social environment.

ConsSomewhat transient and very student oriented. Could do with a better set-up for postdoctoral researchers that are new in town.

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!