Oxford University

www.ox.ac.uk
Profile Unclaimed

A great experience, surrounded by people you have a lot to learn from

Current Contractor - Lecturer in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Lecturer in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work as a lecturer in independent: you have a lot of autonomy, you manage your own time, you get to teach bright students, and learn a lot from your colleagues. The work-life balance depends on you, since research never ends and you need to know when to stop.

Cons

Salaries are not great in academia; also, if you do not have a permanent position you are very likely to have to move to another part of the country for a different job; there is pressure to publish.

There are lots of benefits in terms of housing and meals, which somewhat make up for the low salary.

Excellent three-year postdoc

I have been working at Oxford University

Pros

Work is varied and relatively low-stress; colleagues are wonderful to work with and support for career development has been fantastic. There is plenty of scope to pursue personal research interests.

Cons

Teaching opportunities can be limited; cost of living is relatively high and the city can feel limited for those used to London.

High standard

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation, job standard, relaxed culture

Cons

The cost of living is quite high compared to even a more than average salary.

Great

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

All is good. Big name uni.

Cons

Politics and all the ego boosting

Need to modernise

Good place to study and live

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

University of Oxford is one of the top universities in the world with great prestige. It has the greatest resources for research and study. The town of Oxford is also a great place to live.
    There are lots of research groups in this university. I am in department of Engineering Science, it contains information science, mechanics, computer science, optics, nanotechnology. If you want to have cooperation with them, it will be very convenient.

Cons

If you want to go to London, you will take more than one hour there.

The efficiency of the administration is better to improve.

Excellent colleagues and resources available to conduct projects.

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Vast resources, exciting research projects, plenty to learn from team members, beautiful location, wide variety of disciplines, prestige of organisation, good transport links.

Cons

Low salary, difficult to progress in career, postdoctoral salaries are unsustainable, expensive city to live in, transport is good but also very expensive. Prepare to live well below the average to make it here!

Income is tiered to inflation, but nobody factors in the cost of living or the expenses, especially for students who are transitioning into postdocs.

Unique.

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

General people, core academics have a very idealistic mindset. I have felt myself as Alice in Wonderland. Is definitely not what you could experience in any part of the world. I think their motto might be Work Hard! Play Hard! and they really keep themselves to this. You learn lessons and skills for a lifetime. If I would have the opportunity to become President of a country or spend say 1 year in Oxford studying, I would choose the latter one.

Cons

Suddenly everyone excels in what you did best in the past and thought you can only do. But Oxford's uniqueness then lies in the fact through its human centered to help you find who you really are - and add to your values...

I did not have much contact with them. Thank you for doing it - I appreciate that without them I would not have been able focus on things that were more valuable to me and hopefully to others.

Oxford University - Economics PhD

Current Employee - PhD Student in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

inspiring environment, great opportunities, good supervisors

Cons

scholarship opportunities for PhD students more limitd than at some other top universities

Great place to be an early-career researcher

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Oxford is a magnet for wonderful researchers, conferences and talks. There is always something interesting to be seen
    - The town is beautiful, very green, with very interesting museums and buildings to visit. - The unique collegiate culture provides you with a nice affiliation and facilities like college lunch.
    - Giving tutorials is a very interesting teaching experience. Lecturers do complain about heavy teaching loads, but as a postdoc my teaching load is capped, so I enjoy it.
    - The research facilitators help substantially in putting together a grant application

Cons

- Oxford is expensive to live in! The housing market is unhealthy
    - The pay is so-so compared to other British institutions, and does not take into account that Oxford is next to London the most expensive British city.
    - Because it's so big and because of the collegiate structure, the faculty does have a lack of coherence, I don't even know all the faculty members
    - Most research positions are temporary, and few of these make it as permanent researchers. I for one do not expect to stay on after my fellowship. To pass through for a couple of years it is fine though

Great city great work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful city. International people. World class facilities

Cons

Research can be monotonous and working alone on a specific problem for a long time

Oxford University Photos