Oxford University
www.ox.ac.uk Oxford, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Oxford University Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 9, 2014
Oxford University – Oxford – “University of Oxford, Computer Science Department”

Not yet rated.

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten

Christopher Francis Patten

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsSmart people, lots of seminars and research talks. The culture of out-of-the box thinking is very appealing. Free lunches and dinners. The city has a lot going on, with places to go out and a proximity to London.

ConsThe separation of University into colleges isolates people and does not seem to serve any good purpose. Administration may not be very efficient, depending on which division you're in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

A great experience, surrounded by people you have a lot to learn from

Lecturer (Current Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsWork as a lecturer in independent: you have a lot of autonomy, you manage your own time, you get to teach bright students, and learn a lot from your colleagues. The work-life balance depends on you, since research never ends and you need to know when to stop.

ConsSalaries are not great in academia; also, if you do not have a permanent position you are very likely to have to move to another part of the country for a different job; there is pressure to publish.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are lots of benefits in terms of housing and meals, which somewhat make up for the low salary.

Excellent three-year postdoc

ProsWork is varied and relatively low-stress; colleagues are wonderful to work with and support for career development has been fantastic. There is plenty of scope to pursue personal research interests.

ConsTeaching opportunities can be limited; cost of living is relatively high and the city can feel limited for those used to London.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High standard

Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsCompensation, job standard, relaxed culture

ConsThe cost of living is quite high compared to even a more than average salary.

Great

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsAll is good. Big name uni.

ConsPolitics and all the ego boosting

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to modernise

Good place to study and live

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsUniversity of Oxford is one of the top universities in the world with great prestige. It has the greatest resources for research and study. The town of Oxford is also a great place to live.
    There are lots of research groups in this university. I am in department of Engineering Science, it contains information science, mechanics, computer science, optics, nanotechnology. If you want to have cooperation with them, it will be very convenient.

ConsIf you want to go to London, you will take more than one hour there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe efficiency of the administration is better to improve.

Excellent colleagues and resources available to conduct projects.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsVast resources, exciting research projects, plenty to learn from team members, beautiful location, wide variety of disciplines, prestige of organisation, good transport links.

ConsLow salary, difficult to progress in career, postdoctoral salaries are unsustainable, expensive city to live in, transport is good but also very expensive. Prepare to live well below the average to make it here!

Advice to Senior ManagementIncome is tiered to inflation, but nobody factors in the cost of living or the expenses, especially for students who are transitioning into postdocs.

Unique.

Graduate Student (Former Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGeneral people, core academics have a very idealistic mindset. I have felt myself as Alice in Wonderland. Is definitely not what you could experience in any part of the world. I think their motto might be Work Hard! Play Hard! and they really keep themselves to this. You learn lessons and skills for a lifetime. If I would have the opportunity to become President of a country or spend say 1 year in Oxford studying, I would choose the latter one.

ConsSuddenly everyone excels in what you did best in the past and thought you can only do. But Oxford's uniqueness then lies in the fact through its human centered to help you find who you really are - and add to your values...

Advice to Senior ManagementI did not have much contact with them. Thank you for doing it - I appreciate that without them I would not have been able focus on things that were more valuable to me and hopefully to others.

Great place to be an early-career researcher

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

Pros- Oxford is a magnet for wonderful researchers, conferences and talks. There is always something interesting to be seen
    - The town is beautiful, very green, with very interesting museums and buildings to visit. - The unique collegiate culture provides you with a nice affiliation and facilities like college lunch.
    - Giving tutorials is a very interesting teaching experience. Lecturers do complain about heavy teaching loads, but as a postdoc my teaching load is capped, so I enjoy it.
    - The research facilitators help substantially in putting together a grant application

Cons- Oxford is expensive to live in! The housing market is unhealthy
    - The pay is so-so compared to other British institutions, and does not take into account that Oxford is next to London the most expensive British city.
    - Because it's so big and because of the collegiate structure, the faculty does have a lack of coherence, I don't even know all the faculty members
    - Most research positions are temporary, and few of these make it as permanent researchers. I for one do not expect to stay on after my fellowship. To pass through for a couple of years it is fine though

Oxford University - Economics PhD

PhD Student (Current Employee)
    Oxford, England (UK)

Prosinspiring environment, great opportunities, good supervisors

Consscholarship opportunities for PhD students more limitd than at some other top universities

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oxford University reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oxford University CEO Christopher Francis Patten. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Oxford University employees.