Oxford University

www.ox.ac.uk

Oxford University Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 29, 2014
Oxford University – Oxford – “University of Oxford, Computer Science Department”

Not yet rated.

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten

Christopher Francis Patten

Pros
  • The town of Oxford is also a great place to live (in 5 reviews)

• Top people to work with and a beautiful city to live in (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • very expensive to live especially the housing (in 3 reviews)

• highly competitive, no job security (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unique.

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGeneral people, core academics have a very idealistic mindset. I have felt myself as Alice in Wonderland. Is definitely not what you could experience in any part of the world. I think their motto might be Work Hard! Play Hard! and they really keep themselves to this. You learn lessons and skills for a lifetime. If I would have the opportunity to become President of a country or spend say 1 year in Oxford studying, I would choose the latter one.

ConsSuddenly everyone excels in what you did best in the past and thought you can only do. But Oxford's uniqueness then lies in the fact through its human centered to help you find who you really are - and add to your values...

Advice to Senior ManagementI did not have much contact with them. Thank you for doing it - I appreciate that without them I would not have been able focus on things that were more valuable to me and hopefully to others.

Oxford University - Economics PhD

PhD Student (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

Prosinspiring environment, great opportunities, good supervisors

Consscholarship opportunities for PhD students more limitd than at some other top universities

Great place to be an early-career researcher

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

Pros- Oxford is a magnet for wonderful researchers, conferences and talks. There is always something interesting to be seen
    - The town is beautiful, very green, with very interesting museums and buildings to visit. - The unique collegiate culture provides you with a nice affiliation and facilities like college lunch.
    - Giving tutorials is a very interesting teaching experience. Lecturers do complain about heavy teaching loads, but as a postdoc my teaching load is capped, so I enjoy it.
    - The research facilitators help substantially in putting together a grant application

Cons- Oxford is expensive to live in! The housing market is unhealthy
    - The pay is so-so compared to other British institutions, and does not take into account that Oxford is next to London the most expensive British city.
    - Because it's so big and because of the collegiate structure, the faculty does have a lack of coherence, I don't even know all the faculty members
    - Most research positions are temporary, and few of these make it as permanent researchers. I for one do not expect to stay on after my fellowship. To pass through for a couple of years it is fine though

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great city great work

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsBeautiful city. International people. World class facilities

ConsResearch can be monotonous and working alone on a specific problem for a long time

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat intellectual stimulation, good research facilities.

ConsCan be a bit siloed

Great experience of my life

ProsGreat benefits and prompt payment

ConsCity can be small sometimes

A mixed bag...........

DPhil Student (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsGood prospects and enjoyable college life

ConsPoor work-life balance, often poor supervision

Doctoral research in the University of Oxford.

Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsUniversity of Oxford is one of the most competitive universities in the UK, which makes it a very interesting place to be a part of.

ConsIt is a very competitive environment that requires lots of dedication. Hours can be long and working during weekends is common among researchers.

Very enjoyable, laid back experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe department I worked in was laid back and had a friendly atmosphere. The environment was also very comforting, there were three of us working in an area most companies would cram 10+ people into.

ConsThe pay was on the low side, especially when you consider the living costs of the area. Otherwise, not much to complain about.

Stimulating but old-fashioned

Academic Lecturer/Researcher (Current Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsFriendly support staff, intellectually stimulating work, positive and intimate work environment, talented students and colleagues, interesting and lively city, good resources (labs, libraries) depending on your field

ConsLack of centralization means inefficient day-to-day operations and bad communication between departments, pay is low v cost of living, city is crowded and student-dominated, operations and general outlook can be very old-fashioned and many higher-ups are resistant to change

Advice to Senior ManagementCentralize and modernize

Worked for Oxford University? Contribute to the Community!