Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Updated October 26, 2014
3.3

Ozburn-Hessey Logistics CEO Randy Curran
Randy Curran

Pros
  • Company is growing rapidly and lots of room for promotions within the east coast (in 3 reviews)

• There is plenty of opportunity to learn at OHL (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours worked are tremendous and expected, so Work/Life balance is difficult to achieve (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management did not help when new areas were expanding (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Grest place to work

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Pros

Great working hrs nice environment

Cons

More money
    More vacation time holidays with family it's open 24/7

Get more organized in management and HR

Plenty of opportunities for hard work and showing your merit. Low pay, however.

Former Employee - Import Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Import Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A large 3PL, there are a lot of parts of the company that one could potentially move to. I imagine that moving upwards within your department/division is possible too. There is a lot of work and plenty of opportunity to stick out and do well.

Cons

Low pay. Nepotistic upper management. Not enough reward for hard work.

If you want better talent, offer higher salaries.

Great talent and opportunity, good career growth.

Current Employee - Inventory Control Lead in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Lead in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A professional atmosphere with plenty of talent to learn from and observe. If you are a hard worker you can good far if you reach out to the right people. Find someone that is a positive leader and you will go far with this company. Remember to stay positive and professional and it will be noticed over time. Do not get caught up with drama or gossip, as people can be negative but it stems from ignorance. There is always opportunity in 3PL. Overall a good company to grow with or continue a successful career in a struggling US economy.

Cons

At times there can be staffing issues due to budget constraints and lack of talent from staffing resources. There have been a few poor promotions appointed which can lead to situations that may be stressful because of ignorant decisions by these team members, however in time it all works out. Biggest advice I can offer is to remain positive and don't allow it to compromise your own integrity.

None. Management knows their strengths and weaknesses... There is more going on behind the scenes then most know. Personally I would put more emphasis on training your entry level staff, as some good potential has been lost due to ignorance on this level.

Good company to work for. Honest work, benefits.

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Edwards, CO
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Edwards, CO

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to relocate if desired, as well as cross train (changes jobs) with the company. Diversity of people that you will work with.

Cons

Not really "set" hours. They will change if you come in an hour early, or stay an hour late last minute. Constantly on your feet.

Come around your employees occasionally.

Great work environment!

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Pros

Able to learn several different operations responsibilities

Cons

Things change a lot in a hurrry.

Very Satisfied with my experience at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics.

Former Employee - Export Account Representative in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Export Account Representative in Humble, TX

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would still be working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics had I not moved to another City, State.
    The workplace was freindly and personable. Flexible with their employees.

Cons

One major drawback would be available growth. Not too much room to move up at the local level.

Consider additional promotional avenues to encourage growth.

Not good.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Chambersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ok company to work for.

Cons

Upper management, needs to start taking care of the lower echelon.

Take care of your associates and lower management, and your company will go further.

Tons of potential to advance up in your career

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is growing rapidly and lots of room for promotions within the east coast.

Cons

Pay seems to be a little on the low side.

Sorry I took the job.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a job. Work there if you need a job, if you have other options, be wise.

Cons

At the account I was at, it was the most back-biting and deceitful place of work I had been in. It was that bad. The culture is not good, and no one at that account could reasonably disagree with that statement. The management did not defend me when they had miscalculated an important order and did not prepare. Instead, I came in at 2:00PM (I was second shift) and as they were all going home had to complete this monster order with regular staff, and do all the regular orders. You do that math. It obviously did not get done on time. I worked 27 hours of the next 32 hours to get the order done. A manager even wrote an email stating he was proud to work with guys who would do what it takes to get the job done. Nonetheless, the client was angry for the order going a day late and instead of management admitting they had missed it, they simply decided to terminate me so that their embarrassment could be superficially avoided. I had seen this done to lower employees as well. Oh well, I am happy to be out that horrible place, it was literally sucking the life out of me.

Those business books are not hogwash, you can treat employees very well and still be financially viable.
    OHL has a first-cost poverty mentality, but would make more money looking at the longer term.

Plenty to do but just not much room for advancement due to typical bureaucracy.

Former Employee - Import Account Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Import Account Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are actually interested in the industry and like to ask questions, you will actually learn something that you can take somewhere else

Cons

Not much training at all. Questions are initially frowned upon and if you get hired as an entry writer or something similar you will just be expected to get as many done as possible instead of actually learning proper Customs regulations to apply.

Management was solely concerned about numbers only because they were pressured from above. I actually have no advice to mgmt because they are all super knowledgeable but they are just following orders from above. I feel that when importers actually start to notice the cost savings and straight-forwardness of self-filing entries with third party software, the customs brokerage business will drop for the company.

Ozburn-Hessey Logistics Photos