Ozburn-Hessey Logistics Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
88 reviews filtered by
Ozburn-Hessey Logistics CEO Randy Curran
Randy Curran

Pros
  • There is plenty of opportunity to learn at OHL (in 4 reviews)

• Company is growing rapidly and lots of room for promotions within the east coast (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The hours worked are tremendous and expected, so Work/Life balance is difficult to achieve (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management did not help when new areas were expanding (in 6 reviews)

1. Excellent Company for IT - Fast paced with a very smart/ fun team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time

Pros

Ability to work on several big time Projects with big technology vendors, You get to design, architect, deploy and support your own solutions and grow as a person. Experienced management in IT is very helpful in cutting through any red tape or political agendas. The company is growing and doing the right things technically and financially to withstand an economic recession and retain good talent.

Cons

Don't listen to the Sour Grapes on this site. Growth is good but the pace is too demanding for some, mainly for those who are not experienced or technical enough to be fast paced thinkers.

Keep up the good work, fund IT and Enterprise projects. Need more Career opportunities in IT.

2. OHL supports a friendly working environment and has a heavy emphasis on work-life balance.

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a mid-level employee, I've had many opportunities to meet with the CEO, President, etc. Those in leadership roles aren't "the men behind the curtain." Leadership visibility is huge.

Cons

Interdepartmental communication and understanding. I've worked closely with many departments since starting and a lot is misunderstood from department to department (ex: why one does what they do). Company-wide education would be extremely beneficial.

For the most part, management maintains a macro-managerial role.

3. No room for advancement

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Pros

M-F work every second Saturday.

Cons

Management sucks. Unprofessional racist no room for advancement

Listen how to listen and not just give orders

5. Below average.

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Pros

Average starting pay. Nice and friendly co workers. Decent PTO structure.

Cons

Poor 401k match, they match 50% up to 3%. Expensive insurance, small yearly raises. Last minute schedule changes. Make you come in on your day off and then send you home after two hours because there wasn't enough work to merit you coming in the first place. Poor communication between departments.

Invest more into your employees in order to retain talent.

6. Bad

Former Employee - Operator I in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Operator I in Allentown, PA

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics

Pros

There is really nothing good that I can say about this company except that they sometimes do fun stuff for their employees. However with that in mind I can not think of any other pros.

Cons

-bad pay
    -bad work schedule
    -bad management
    -they take advantage of their employees
    -bad benefits
    -long hour but hat is to be expected at a warehouse

re-evaluate how the warehouse is being run before you take it out on the hard work employees. Offer better pay and benefits to make employees happy

7. I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the only pro I can think of is the pay

Cons

they want you to do 100% everyday even if you run out of work all the time

Lots of long term opportunity, good people and culture

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time

Pros

If you are willing to work hard and smart, challenge status quo, accept responsibility, follow through on commitments, and make an effort to improve the organization, there are many opportunities at OHL.

It's a fast growing and adapting company, so there is room for promotions and to work in different roles. OHL is fortunate to have a great group of people. They bend over backwards to make our customers happy, doing whatever it takes (even if that requires long hours). They are also trustworthy, genuine, and are willing to help each other out. This isn't the kind of place where you have to worry about your back or being undermined by your colleagues.

Many of the employees at OHL are young, fresh talent from regional leading universities. This culture opens to door to many friendships

OHL is headquartered in Nashville, an awesome place to live with a reasonable cost of living. For those working in Nashville, there are many fun things to do both culturally and for a nightlife.

Benefits seem on par or better than the industry.

Great opportunities to learn about the industry. Training is "on the job", but most employees come to OHL and develop skills rapidly.

OHL is a small, nimble, non-bureaucratic organization. The command structure is quite horizontal, so employees are empowered to bring new ideas to the table. It is very possible for the most entry level of individual to bring ideas to or shoot the breeze with C*O level upper management.

Cons

Work life balance can be an issue, but it is not a constant problem. Our industry, like retail, has peaks and valleys where hours can be long or light. A bigger problem is where peaks are not well predicted, leading to surprise long hours.

Pay can be on the middle to low side for certain roles, especially entry level. Since we do not pay at the upper ends of the market, high performers will come to OHL, learn about the industry, develop their skills, then will move to other companies where promotability is faster or pay is greater. This causes turnover to be higher than what would be desired. Although on the low side, OHL definitely pays more than some competitors in the Nashville market. New employees should look at the bigger picture. High performance is rewarded with promotions, higher pay, flexibility to try new positions, job security, and long term advancement.

Establish a clear picture of what you would like OHL to be in the coming years. Invest in high performing emerging talent, encourage and empower them to bring new ideas to the table, and pay higher salaries at lower levels to secure and retain the top talent.

9. Worst Place that I have ever worked and I do mean ever worked

I have been working at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

if you need a job really bad, but other then that there is nothing

Cons

pay, hours you must work, and no management to back you or help you.

need to treat your employee's better, that is what makes a great company. My bosses boss told me that they know the pay is low and the hours are long but this is only a transfer spot they know the turnover will be high and new people will be around always so the supervisors and mangers must always be training and dealing with the high turnover rate.
    I AM AT A LOSS AS TO THIS KIND OF THINKING. COMPANY WILL NEVER BE GREAT, WITH THAT KIND OF THINKING!!!

10. No Work Life Balance and Low Pay

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work side by side everyday are wonderful.

Cons

Pay is terrible; especially for the amount of work the company expects. There is little to no work life balance. Very long hours. If you are a manager or supervisor, be prepared to work very long hours with few days off.

People are spread too thin. Hire additional people so that employees don't work so many hours.

11. Supervisor

I worked at Ozburn-Hessey Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, work hours were good. Opportunity to learn and advance

Cons

HR cares about no one. Senior management will sell you out in a minute. Unfair HR practices. Would rather destroy a location and cause OHL to loose a major account than work with management and staff.

Get a clue and put HR back in your managers hands and not the bunch of vengeful individuals that they have there.

Ozburn-Hessey Logistics Photos