P.C. Richard & Son

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
2.5

Gary Richard

PC Richard is a demanding, high energy, company where you are paid modestly for your production.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot of freedom to perform your job and create sales. Their benefit package is good and they will match up to 3% in your 401K. Product training is available every year. They cover expenses for the outside sales reps and everyone is relativily nice.

Cons

The executive management team is hard to break into. Most workers are disgruntled and morale is low because they are overworked and under paid. You have to have a great sense of humor and be very self motivated. Trying to get a raise is like going to the dentist. They could afford to be more generous but believe it would not result in more productivity. It is a catch 22.

This is a tough and difficult commodity type business. I believe annual reviews should always include pay raises when an employee is performing at high levels. Not sure any advice would help change the culture.

Great job an amazing mangers

Former Employee - Sales Person in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing staff an benfits

Cons

Meeting curtain quotas could be hard at times an some employees were a lil overwhelming

Keep doing what your doing it's a wonderful company

Aggressive Sales Environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Back office sales support is very reliable which makes doing business much more efficiently. Steady flow of customers, and most customers are very loyal, often return and refer family and friends.

Cons

Co-workers very untrustworthy. There is a lack of teamwork and very poor assistance from sales managers.

Spend more time and dedication to mentoring new staff. Establish a team environment.

Anybody can work there

Former Employee - Store Manager in Nassau, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Nassau, NY

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sorry, but not many pros.

Cons

Long hours and weekends, commision formula always refigured against the salesperson.
    the you pay what we pay sales are rubbish. Only real cash is to Richard family and relatives.
    Lots of pressure to sell add ons and service contracts. Most people that work there can't do anything else.
    So they stay.

Actually care about your people.

I loved my job, the customers, the experience.

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits not bad, learned a lot about appliances and electronics.

Cons

Very political, had to be part of inner circle to advance. Work most holidays, weekends, no summer life (work six days).

Once the draw was increased, it was more difficult to receive commission (unless you were a shark in the night, and ran over your co-workers or had unspeakable advantage)

Stay away.

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son

Pros

Decent hourly rate, good tips, enjoyed working with the other stock guys in my store.

Cons

Strenuous at times, cynical managers and sales people, degrading, rude, inconsiderate.

One of the worst jobs I have ever had. The company treats you like a dog. They expect you to work regardless if you're sick or have something serious going on. I had to resign from my stock position after 2 years being with the company. I had pulled my back and could not perform my job duties any longer. As I informed the DM and she gave me the okay to sign release forms, my manager wasn't moved by it at all. He rolled his eyes and looked at me saying you haven't been here in weeks. He didn't ask me if I was okay nor did he wish me any luck in my future endeavors. I spent over 2 years with the company and that's the goodbye I get? I simply don't understand what I ever did to any of these people to not even get a little respect for the hard work I've put in for this place. When my grandfather passed back in march I had to miss work unexpectedly. My general manager was annoyed that I couldn't work and didn't care at all about my grandfathers passing or how I felt. My first day back after the funeral and wake he starts cracking jokes at me and treating me rude and disrespectfully. Not once did he show any compassion and ask me if I was okay, nor did he even say sorry for my loss. I can go on and on about how terrible my experience with this company was. I truly suggest you stay far far away from this company. Although the money may be good, it's not worth the strenuous work we go through and the only recognition you will get is a pat on the pack. I would give my all to this place, trying to finish the huge truck we received or trying to finish up work that wasn't finished. 9 out of 10 times a manager would make a cynical comment or would laugh at you when if you showed any sign of fatigue. They truly have no compassion or appreciation for their workers. I will never step foot in PC Richards again and I strongly suggest you don't either.

Have some respect for your employees. Treat them like human beings and encourage an optimistic, encouraging environment.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like to work long hours, never want time off and see your commissions dwindling as management cuts prices to the bare minimum or item gets put on sale within 30 days of purchase.

Cons

Watch commissions disappear when items go on sale after you sold the item. I sold a Bluetooth speaker at $199, comm was $32, company put it on sale for $69 comm was reversed to 69 cents.
    My son made more money delivering pizza in 4 hours on Black Friday than I did working 2:30 am to midnight

Take a management course and learn how to support your sales force not screw them out of their hard earned money after working 60 plus hours a week.

Good company

Current Employee - ACE Sales in Patchogue, NY
    Current Employee - ACE Sales in Patchogue, NY

I have been working at P.C. Richard & Son part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability as long as you do whats asked of you. Decent pat if you sell a lot

Cons

Closed mouthes dont get fed. If you want something you must ask for it and go get it. Also worked outside of my job descrioption numerous times without compensation

Parts Logistics Supervisor

I have been working at P.C. Richard & Son full-time

Pros

If your looking to join a company with many different career options to pick from this is a great choice. There are tons of different options and it is a growing company so there are always opportunity's.

Cons

Its a family owned business so there is little room for advancement. Once you pick a career its really difficult to move your way up.

work too many hours and make no money

Current Employee - Sales in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at P.C. Richard & Son full-time (less than an year)

Pros

employed...will hire just about anybody so if you are desperate makes a nice filler in between the real job search (though you wont have much time to search

Cons

too many hours, holiday, weekends, spoiled customers, no money make about 30k and work 45 hours a week and even more hours during the busy time

treat employees like human beings and be fair

P.C. Richard & Son Photos