P.F. Chang's Reviews

Reset
3.3
P.F. Chang's Chairman Co-Chief Executive Officer Richard L. Federico
Richard L. Federico

Pros
  • Good money, flexible schedule, young staff (in 17 reviews)

• very flexible schedule, great people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, constantly changing schedule (in 12 reviews)

• work life balance is horrible, managent doesnt give two s**ts about you or anything about your life at all (in 6 reviews)

1. Want to hate your life? Work at PF Chang's!

Current Employee - Cook in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Cook in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at P.F. Chang's

Pros

I can't think of any reasons to work for them. I saved a butt load of money eating for free though. Some of front of the house employees were cool too.

Cons

Everything. Especially the managers. One of the managers tried to set me up. The sous chef was a douche bag. Working at PF Chang's left a bad taste in my mouth towards the food service industry

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees better.

2. Nightmare

Former Employee - Bartender in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Bartender in Rogers, AR

I worked at P.F. Chang's

Pros

Busy location in high traffic area. Better clientele than most other area restaurants.

Cons

Harrassed by management on personal level. Never praised for reaching goals, achieving high sales. Forced to take tables after hours.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings rather than slaves and you will have more success. A happy place to work is a productive place to work. Lying to the EEOC when valid records indicate otherwise is not a good idea.

3. Do NOT work for this company!!!

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Dedham, MA

I worked at P.F. Chang's

Pros

Good money due to the overpriced menu Popular franchise...these stores tend to get busy

Cons

-No paid vacation benefits -No health benefits until a YEAR of service -Rude and angry managers -Corrupt corporation which doesn't care about the workers -Cheap company that doesn't want to pay for absolutely anything -No bussers...and limited amount of runners. You'll find yourself serving, running and bussing. -Dirty dishes, scarce flatware and silverware. You'll find yourself washing them yourselves -Massive turnover. You'll see new people every other week -Long ticket times and food that gets sent back constantly. Alot of food comps and voids.

Advice to Management

Take care of your workers and they'll take care of your guests.

5. Operating Partner should be flagged

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at P.F. Chang's

Pros

Working with mostly genuine staff.

Cons

Dishonest management, unfair staff evaluations and very upsetting kitchen conditions make this PF Chang's go 'round.

Advice to Management

When management shows favoritism towards a few, and consistently regulates that all other workers work for those few with preferential treatment, then still rewards them for the work that others did for them fashions for a disheartening work environment.

6. Culinary Partners were unorganized, extremely disrespectful; is this the business model for all locations - WOW?????

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at P.F. Chang's

Pros

Orientation was very organized - this is a new location. Company philosophies were impressive - the language and content make you want to work at PF Changs. Organizational structure and strict adherence to policy was well documented in the manuals and publications presented during this orientation period.

Cons

Unfortunately, everything that was presented in the orientation is not, in fact, part of "real-life" daily management practices. No cross training. Hard work is never recognized. Management has "employees" are expendable attitude. The 1-800 number is referred to 1-800-GET-URAF. Broken equipment not fixed or replaced; Fundamental Five - NEVER enforced - accept when "regional" is watching. Great employees will quickly find other opportunities and resign - leaving the mediocre, at best, to crank out impersonations of "PF Chang" recipes. I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

Follow your "printed" company philosophy - it is what propelled you to success. Your original quality has been replaced by a facsimile that is driven by quantity only. This continuing philosophy will be the destructive catalyst that spurs a decline that cannot be stopped. Remember where you came from - big is not better if you do not consistently practice what you preach.

Going down in flames

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Nashville, TN

I worked at P.F. Chang's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% off meals (with the exception of the sea bass and mini desserts). Co-workers are pretty cool. Food tastes good.

Cons

"Family Meal" is a joke. You're supposed to get one free meal cooked twice a day, but it's made with scraps so sometimes you'll get bone and cartilage in your food :-X. At my location they cut out the night time family meal, so you pretty much have to buy dinner before you go into work now (for the night shift). The company is cutting hours (I know at least at my location they're cutting hours, but I was told it's happening nationwide) which is unfortunate for our blind silverware roller who can't get another job and can barely support himself. Sweet and Sour sauce is ketchup with a lot of added sugar, the food is crazy fattening and the clientele is also going downhill (people who order the cheapest dishes and tip anywhere from 5%-10% regardless of the quality of service). If you're newly hired and are looking to be a server, be prepared to make $30 a night running food for anywhere from a couple of months to half a year (for some people it's taken as long as a year to become a server, but often people will quit after a couple months).

Advice to Management

PF Chang's is becoming the Denny's or TGIFriday's of Chinese food, where it once compared to places like Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's. The good waiters, cooks and hosts are quickly realizing what a terrible place this is to work and you're going to lose them. It's true that people are looking for jobs all over the country, but pretty soon the only people who will apply are the ex-con's and the drug addicts. The day staff at PF Chang's will be the night staff at Waffle Houses. And once the service quality diminishes, you'll lose your customers, cut costs on food quality to compensate and screw yourselves over. DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THIS COMPANY WORTH WORKING AT.

8. No respect for managers! No company support for employees.

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Dedham, MA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Dedham, MA

I worked at P.F. Chang's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is getting free food when you work there. The food can be good depending on which cook is cooking it.

Cons

This place goes through General Managers (Operating Partners) like water. 4 in 2 years. 15 managers in 3 years. The managers are not respected by these Operating Partners. The servers run the place. All they have to do is make false claims about managers and the managers are fired or written up. The Operating partners have been incompetent at their positions and because of this, the managers have to do everything, yet, the OPs get all the praise, but when the OP fails, the managers get blamed. The worst restaurant to work for!

Advice to Management

Support your Managers. Do not let the hourly drama queens run the place.

They don't care about you.

Current Employee - Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at P.F. Chang's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Name is considered as upscale to people you tell you work there.

Cons

Everyone was lured in with a small base salary and potential for big bonuses. But now bonuses non existent. Bought out by Centerbridge in May 2012. Have been cutting salaries and bonuses ever since. Way underpaying their managers and have taken a huge chunk of money out of their pockets. Everyone is trying to abandon ship. Only thing keeping managers there is the economy and lack of other job openings. Operating partners get one more big payout this upcoming February from old bonus program. I'm sure they will be looking right after that. Everyone has loss confidence in upper management, and there is complete lack of ownership by managers, and for good reason. It has come to a point where many of us cannot afford to stay with PF Chang's. What a shame.

Advice to Management

If economy gets any better, you will lose lots of talented people. Sure you can get a replacement for less. But you get what you pay for. "A better world"????...I think not.

10. Disgusting

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Long Beach, CA

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

More money than your average corporate restaurant job.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing. Chipped glasses because they stack them, an easy fix but they don't acknowledge it. Dirty plates and dirty glasses. I had to pick up 4 glasses before finding one clean enough to serve (this is not an exaggeration). We "polish" the appetizer and entree plates (aka wipe the excess off from the dishwasher). Told friends and family not to eat there even while I worked there for fear of sickness. If I ordered food, I would have them put it in togo boxes, most of the staff does this. They use the same schedule every week so you can be a server breaker 5 weeks in a row and they don't change it until you ask them to. After silverware was run through the dishwasher, it would still be dirty so someone would have to run it under hot water (not using soap or sanitizer and get the excess off). I've worked in 6 different restaurants from dishwasher/busser to management and this was by far the dirtiest and most repulsive of all. I gagged when I pulled a couple supposedly clean ramekins apart and found what looked like a chicken bone.

Advice to Management

Don't stack glass cups on top of each other, it causes chips and is unsafe. Tell the dishwasher person that the dishwasher machine should only be meant to sanitize and that they have to do most of the work. Give the good shifts to the good or senior staff members. You have a great restaurant concept here and great opportunity to make this restaurant great but you are failing. Take a little more pride in your job.

11. Horrid place to work

Former Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great and truly care about each other. You become a big family. It's a good place to work if you're in school since you'll work mostly nights, weekends, holidays.

Cons

The management doesn't care about anyone, except themselves and guests who complain. They play favorites and only promote people who they like. A lot of hard working people get passed up for opportunities simply because they don't suck up to management. In my particular store we often never got lunch breaks and NEVER got a paid break. We also had to eat in the backroom, which is where they kept cleaning chemicals, a dumpster and it was also filled with roaches We were never busy and thus made very little money. Despite being such a slow place, we still had to stick around for 6-8 hours even if we had no guests coming in. We also had to claim our tips before we even knew how much we made. Managers often rushed us out after closing then got angry because nothing was clean.

Advice to Management

Stop denying people promotions for absurd reasons and promote those who truly work hard. Don't force employees to stay on the clock when they haven't had a table in over an hour. Don't give employees so much crap when they call out or show up sick. Do all this and you wont constantly lose good people.

RSS Feed </> Embed