P.F. Chang's

www.pfcb.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great training but hard to get ahead financially

Former Employee - Server in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Server in La Jolla, CA

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training and teamwork structure.

Cons

Too many servers on the floor during lunch shifts resulting on average $30-40 in tips. I would say 3-4 times a week I would get cut from the floor after being at work for only 2 1/2 hours. This restricts servers from making any kind of decent living or ability to commit to a second job.

Only the closing servers usually make decent money. 25 servers for a lunch shift is way to many.

Love / Hate Relationship.

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager

I have been working at P.F. Chang's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at two separate locations, and both of them showed just how close the staff is. Everyone is really good friends and have a good time at work together. Compared to other restaurants I've worked at, the "front of house vs back of house" friction is almost non-existant. They take pride in their Training Program, and even use Certified Trainers to travel the world and open new locations.

Cons

Working as an hourly employee is fun, but nothing really differentiates PFCB from any other chain restaurant. Once you get promoted into management, you are completely taken advantage of. I was 100% team PF Chang's until I got promoted. 60 hour work weeks are totally normal, and you get grief from upper management if you make comments about the working conditions. You never get a lunch break, unless you sneak food into the office while doing paperwork or reading emails, and if the restaurant stays busy then you can't leave. It's great experience because once you've managed PF Chang's you can literally do anything.

PF Chang's is supposed to embody the "Better World" but that is only true until you become a manager. The turnover rate is incredibly high because the pay is low, the hours are high, and there is never any positive feedback. I think if managers felt more appreciated for putting PF Chang's as a priority over family, life, etc then it would make a huge difference. Maybe allow for little things like holiday parties to boost morale, or saying a simple "thank you" to your staff that has commited to pouring their entire life into Chinese food.

Great coworkers and flexible hours

I have been working at P.F. Chang's

Pros

Flexible hours and busy a lot so you can make money serving, just need to put in the hours you want. New management team which cares for the employees and asks if you need help with anything and really cares, and just needs another month or two to get things rolling in a good direction. Aces in places, so if you work hard you can get the hours you want.

Cons

Not every co worker likes to do their side work but that happens. New management still making new decisions that you'll have to be patient for another month or so.

Nothing really just keep focused on how you want things done and keep listening to employees for small tweaks that may help

great place to work if you know what you are doing

Former Employee - Server in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Miami, FL

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

hardworking group of people. good place to refine skills with technical measurements. diversity with fellow emplyoees makes for an outstanding work environment

Cons

managers are too concerned about numbers at the end if the day and it creates a conflict of interest for new employees. training is focused on learning on you own with a lot of telling you what you did wrong rather than what you did right

We'll run operation

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Princeton, NJ

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PF Changs is a very well-run business they handle things the way that they should be handled.
    Management and staff at this particular location were very professional

Cons

Depending upon the clientele at your particular location as a server or bartender the tipping could vary greatly and affect your income

Keep up the good work

Server

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in Troy, MI

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice management, very professional environment and a great place to build connections.

Cons

For first time servers working at PF Changs is difficult. Understanding all the foods and drinks is tough to learn in the beginning so you will struggle.

Maintain a relationship with your employees because how the management speaks with the employees reflects on how the employees will respond to the customers.

The job review I wish I had read before I stepped into PF Changs.

Former Employee - BackWaiter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - BackWaiter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at P.F. Chang's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Majority of the staff are nice people. Most the managers are nice. Decent clientele. Uniform isn't that bad.

Cons

Be prepared to bust your butt for less than minimum wage. I was pulling 40 hours a week. Bringing home 300 bucks every two weeks. That was after 2 raises in the first 2 weeks. I had years of serving experience. When you go to the interview. (There is 3 by the way.) They will tell you that they don't hire servers, they hire back-waiters first. They sugar coat it in the interview.Telling you that it's up to the individual for when you move into the server position. (Which is where the money is and that's how they get you.) I'm saying this because I wish someone had said this to me. They hype it up in the interview and once you start working there you quickly feel like you just got the old bait and switch and now are stuck. Unless of course you leave. Like most people do. I worked for 3 months until I finally moved on. I was well liked by everyone, and gave over 100% at my job. You see no one wants to do the job, because it's all grunt work and if you are a grown adult. You will be lucky to have enough gas to get you to the job. So they can't keep people. The guys I worked had been doing this job for almost a year and they were still waiting to move up to a server. That's the trick they use to keep this position filled and it's wrong to manipulate people that are just trying to earn a decent living.

Stop Posting jobs for the server position. it's false advertising. Just be honest with people and just hire 16 year olds to bus tables. 300 bucks every two weeks is probably ok for someone still living with their parents. Not for a grown up. Don't waste people's time. It's not nice.

Pretty cool spot to work. Always on the move though.

Former Employee - Food Runner in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Food Runner in Providence, RI

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Staff were friendly and polite. Also pretty good money for not having a B.A.

Cons

Can be the occasional drama queen.

Better than most restaurants!

Former Employee - PF Changs Server in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - PF Changs Server in San Jose, CA

I worked at P.F. Chang's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, everyone gets along and works on team service. Managers are caring and understanding, they get to know you on a more personal level than if you were just their employee who clocks in and out.

Cons

A lot of favoritism from management

Server

Current Employee - PF Changs Server in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - PF Changs Server in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at P.F. Chang's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Popular Restaurant
    Professional co-workers
    Great Location

Cons

Management team is friendly, however needs to learn to communicate from the top down better.
    No vacation time

Develop better communication between the management and the staff. Focus some attention on the guests not just administration duties and operation logistics of the restaurant.

P.F. Chang's Photos

The "trio" sauces that servers use to make their special sauce at your table

+ Add Photo