PA Consulting

Be The First To
Add Photos

PA Consulting CEO and Director Alan Middleton

Alan Middleton

Pros
  • Work life balance better than most in this sector (still a little taxing, particularly with travel)(in 19 reviews)

• Great people; great sectoral expertise; supportive culture(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • the work life balance can be terrible (depending on the job)(in 13 reviews)

• No international travel, very public sector UK focussed(in 9 reviews)

Fantastic consulting firm

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat freedom to progress career at your own pace and in any direction. Good compensation and exciting work. Great people, with a small team feel. Different from other firms.

ConsSmall footprint in the US and size of client assignments here is small. Weaker brand in the US. Very risk averse. Company has not grown in last 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less risk averse and try to grow the business, especially in the US. Get better networked in the US at the board level of large companies. Employ more local sales people.

conservative environment

Prosgood benefits and rather collaborative on junior ranks

Conshard for new joiners to break in, particularly in high ranking jobs

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

PA, an excellent Firm

Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsEntrapreneurial
    Talented staff
    Opportunity for growth limited only by your ambition

ConsSmall boutique with little brand awareness in U.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build brand awareness
    Adjust rates to be more competitive with major big 4 competitors

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alan please make real investments in the firm we love rather than squander all the cash

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart people, one global culture, holds on to talent in down times, shows caring and compassion for people

ConsWhy pa is continually giving money back to shareholders is beyond my comprehension. Is this just a way to keep the cash out of chairman Jon's hands because he will waste it on another silly venture? That's it isn't it, that's the only way to keep the cash safe? Distribute it. Why couldnt we invest it in growing the core business?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing for dissolution of the company. It feels like we're waiting for somebody to turn the lights off and we all go home. Couldn't we think of useful ways to spend 100mm GNP?

Great people and interesting place to work

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosinteresting work, lots of variety, organic

Conssome practices are run differently hard to know your trajectory

Advice to Senior Managementmore interaction with academic experts is needed

Good company, great colleagues

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood colleagues, international work opportunities, rapid career advancement, very smart co-workers

ConsLow pay, not awareness of this firm in the marketplace, small firm so not same number of colleagues as at the bigger firms

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people better. Need better IT

Needs more transparency in renumeration

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsNice people to work with in general
    As Senior Management are rewarded for $ sales this "clouds" their judgement on approaching work on a number of fronts
    Good verity of training offered, however....

ConsA bit English and "clicky"
    To small in the US to be effective and can't recruit the right people to grow the business
    Training seem to be to much role playing and " This is how you did it wrong" after the fact.

A great place for senior partners

Partner (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsInteresting work. Some top people. Very cost concsious management systems which serve them well in slow periods. A large number of offices provides some international insight.

ConsTechnically a second-rate consulting firm with a few exceptions. The best predictor of success at PA is learning to manage to the complex financial and performance systems and learning to share/grab sales and operations credit on a job by job basis. The place is a money making machine for senior partners, not a client-focused business. That's lip service. I've seen many partners gouge clients and pad bills because their bonus was calculated on above the line profitabilily. So overcharging (above published rates) is highly profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward merit rather than rewarding those who play the game well and develop credit-sharing arrangements. Note that new partners, despite industry expertise and past success always fail at PA because they do not have these in-place support groups.

PA is a terrific place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVariety of work experiences available

ConsSome incentives are mis-aligned, so that employees are able to game the system and make poor choices.

Great benefit package, with little to no advancement or promotion mobility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Prosgreat benefit health, dental, vision, 401-k package, 3-4 week vacation paid, 10 sick days, 2 floating days plus any holiday time paid off.

Consless chance of carrier mobility and promotion, company does not give more than the average on annual review ratings.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain top management on how to be more strong leaders and train lower level admins and workers.

Worked for PA Consulting? Contribute to the Community!