PA Consulting

Updated October 29, 2014
3.7

PA Consulting CEO and Director Alan Middleton
Alan Middleton

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are a PA Partner and in the club (in 20 reviews)

• Variety of work, progressive pay, very employee share plan, great people to work with (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • the work life balance can be terrible (depending on the job) (in 13 reviews)

• No international travel, very public sector UK focussed (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

PA is a terrific place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at PA Consulting

Pros

Variety of work experiences available

Cons

Some incentives are mis-aligned, so that employees are able to game the system and make poor choices.

Great benefit package, with little to no advancement or promotion mobility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

great benefit health, dental, vision, 401-k package, 3-4 week vacation paid, 10 sick days, 2 floating days plus any holiday time paid off.

Cons

less chance of carrier mobility and promotion, company does not give more than the average on annual review ratings.

Train top management on how to be more strong leaders and train lower level admins and workers.

Excellent company: interesting and fun, but inflexible culture

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at PA Consulting

Pros

PA has a very unique culture and approach to consulting. They pay very well and the benefits were great, especially for the US. Very talented people that provide high-value consulting services.

Cons

Their business model is inflexible and it was difficult to find and stay engaged on projects. Consulting gigs have to meet criteria set by the parent company and they are very proud of their brand (expensive) and risk adverse. Due to their high cost and inflexible engagement criteria, it was difficult to find and stay engaged on projects. When on assignment the work was fun and challenging, but they price themselves out of too many opportunities.

Need the flexibility to compete in good or bad times and to be more price competitive in the US market. PA would be a top-tier consulting firm in the US if they were competitive on price and less risk adverse. You can maintain a strong brand and still engage in a mix of high / lower value work. PA should be killing the competition, the only thing holding them back is PA.

Great company for progression

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

1. Opportunity to progress at your own pace

2. It's a small company with the potential to get noticed and take on extra responsibility quickly

3. PA is fair and rewards well for good performance

Cons

1. You have to be flexible and wear many hats

2. Expectation of travel

3. Team spirit is not what it used to be as the recession continues to bite

Take time to motivate junior staff

Great place to work for the motivated, entrepreneurial consultant

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment; you can do pretty much anything you want to do in terms of focus - the challenge will be for generalists trying to find their "brand" or niche
    Colleagues are for the most part collaborative
    Great opportunities to learn

Cons

Still very much a British company. Not enough American leadership in the US.
    Could do more marketing to get the company's name out
    Consultants have so many responsibilities it is easy to take on too much

No advice

Good place to learn the 'ropes' but you have to be proactive to shape your own career

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

Small firm culture in the the US which makes it easy to network with in the company and find projects in areas you want to work in.

Cons

Low brand equity which makes it very hard to do business development which is needed to move up the ranks.

Need to attract US based talent and leaders if you really want to be successful in the US rather than moving folks from UK!

Great company

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

Management truly support people
    Entrepreneurial spirit
    Reasonable compensation model
    Benefits are excellent (22 days vacation, very good medical, etc)

Cons

Travel expectations
    Difficult to become a specialist as short-term utilization takes precedence
    There is too much focus on the bottom line, without taking into consideration impact on staff moral
    Company is becoming SOP centric

Keep focusing on making PA a great place to work and we will be successful

Some good opportunities, but depends on location and field

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

* great opportunities to work with challanging and interesting clients
    * put in front of clients immediately and at high levels of responsibility within projects
    * strong group of intelligent, motivated people worldwide

Cons

- If you aren't in one of the bigger offices difficult to network
     - incentives not necessarily aligned to grow the US practice
     - bonuses not what described when joined

Update your US Strategy to support growth, encourage partners to work together, do more activities to raise brand awareness in the US (on campus MBA interviewing, etc.)

PA - Build your career then get out

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

Though it's standard for most consulting companies (I've worked for three now), the people are the best reason to work for PA Consulting. The employees are some of the smartest and hardest workers I have worked with my entire career. Everyone in the organization challenges each other to do better, and it's welcome at all ranks, but everyone shares equally in the benefits of a job well done.

To a lesser extent, especially in the US, the organization is very entrepreneurial. I've done more marketing and business development work than at any of the other consulting organizations I worked with previously. The opportunities to grow your skills in these areas are significant for employees at all ranks.

Additionally, you are expected to be involved in the development of Thought Leadership throughout your career, which gives many the opportunity to get published and start developing a name for themselves outside of the organization. This is critical as you move through your career.

Cons

The key challenges of any consulting job are the travel and work/life balance. At PA, in the US, these are magnified. For the most part, our client base is not aligned with the geographic locations of our offices, so most people are on the road 4-5 days per week. If you're young and have nothing to tie you down, this is great, but for those people with families, the strain starts to show.

Additionally, the company has difficulty in the US keeping Americans on staff. The culture here is different than most US-based consulting organizations, which sometimes makes it difficult for Americans to fully fit in. PA's employee growth in the US has been based more on transferring disaffected employees from the UK, rather than trying to build a solid foundation of American employees. Unfortunately, this tends to show, and, I think, sometimes turns clients off.

Finally, our portfolio of clients in the US is very limited. We have several very strong accounts, but the tendency with the Partner group is to milk those accounts dry. This results in a very cyclical sales pipeline, and has only been made worse as the recession took hold. Unfortunately, most consulting companies take the mindset of "what have you done for me lately", which drives these behaviors.

There is a fear by Senior Management at PA of over-communicating, which I think is completely unfounded. In the US, we sometimes feel starved for information about what is going on, and can't seem to find it anywhere. Though the weekly results and metrics are readily available, the lack of communication makes the various parts of the organization seem like islands.

Unfortunately, this isn't helped by the fact that most of the Partner group are poor communicators themselves. The collective MBTI profile tends towards ISTJ, which makes them excellent at analytical and technical work, but makes for poor dissemination of information.

PA Consulting is a great place to work and build a career in management consulting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PA Consulting

Pros

my colleagues, the intellectual capital and the leadership; the ability to be innovative, creative, and create work that is meaningful and of true value to clients; our work is embedded in key company values which we value individually and collectively. Working at PA is what you make of it. There is intense opportunity if you are willing to seek it out and put in the hard work. Opportunities to lead and develop oneself are endless but don't look for someone to hold your hand - you have to be willing to figure out what you are good at, what your areas of development are and continue to develop both.

Cons

Travel is often required to the client which is standard for consulting.

none - they do a great job