PA National Guard

Updated Apr 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Major General Wesley E. Craig

Outstanding! Great people, great mission, great camaraderie

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe people, the mission, the satisfaction of serving.

ConsNone...it is difficult work and some weekends are required, but...it's still all good.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

One of the true embarrassments and let downs of my lifetime

Cavalry Scout (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsYou get an idea of just how desperate many men are to play out the biological impulse to protect everyone. The id is king.

ConsOh god, where does one begin? I know, let's start with the officer corps. One searches in vain for role models but is are bombarded by rightwing idiocracy from every angle. For as dumb and fat as many of them are it's surprising they'd essentially want to live in Sparta. The NCO corps isn't quite as off-the-rails in *that* way, but some are even more outrageous in other ways. For instance, leading a column of soldiers to the bathroom takes on the gravity of the invasion of Normandy, digital terrorism lurks behind every flash drive. By blaring heavy metal from your diesel truck, you assert western values against Obama and his Muslim-loving compatriots. And then the lower enlisted ranks are a hodgepodge of the relatively sane and the mercifully infinite varieties of Forrest Gump that end up in the Army. These guys are truly a pleasure to know, and really are the only thing you can tell yourself you've gained in the positive from your National Guard experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of this is your fault.

A little more than promised

ProsThe people that you serve with.

ConsNot really possible to keep up a civilian career. Many Fridays have to be taken off and deployments put a huge burden on building a career. While I do love serving the country, I chose to join the national guard so that I could also build a civilian career at the same time. The mindset that being in the national guard is a full time job makes that very difficult.
    Being on unemployment and therefore having the time to attend multiple military schools is absolutely not grounds for promotion. I can very easily say that many of my "leaders" have only made it to their current positions by being total failures in their civilian life.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on the saying "citizen soldier."

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Annville, PA

Prosgreat coworkers a lot of subject matter experts

Consgetting deployed post police officers are difficult

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work, the post is rapidly expanding thanks to extended funding from the PA government. All in all a great place

Excellent career organization

Medical Group Administrator (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsExcellent training, flexibility, professional growth, benefits and future retirement plan is better than most. Stong leadership that understands the unit's mission and the needs of it's members. Opportunities for experiences that go well beyond the norm and the chance to give back to the communicty and the coutry is a very satisfying experience overall. The relationships that you build with your unit members last a lifetime and cannot be equaled in any other environment.

ConsNone that I can think of at all, unless it's getting up at 0'dark 30 on a regular basis. Not exactly an early morning person.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Excellent possibilities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Annville, PA

ProsThere are many hard working dedicated Soldiers and leaders in the PA National Guard. Benefits are excellent, and the opportunitiy for paid secondary education is there. With a few minor changes listed in the cons this could be the best place to work.

ConsCronyism, to many people get positions they are not capable of handling due to who they know. Standards are not equally enforced. The military lays out clearly what is expected of their Soldiers however some leaders fail to meet them or enforce them. Do as I say not as I do, some Soldier are told to deploy multiple times while their leaders do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure standards are equal across the board. The promotion system is still manipulated and the good old boy system is at an all time high. To bad because there are a lot of great leaders and Soldiers in this state.

Best job ever!

Grenadier (Current Employee)

ProsLearn to blow stuff up!!!!

ConsKnow what you are committing to when you join. You may be asked to give your life for your country! But I think it's worth it.

Disbursing Officer

ProsMilitary is a great place to build leadership skills
    Becoming an officer is a great salary for starting off out of college
    You can be proud of your work

ConsAs with any military service, you don't control all aspects of your own time.
    You may have to put personnel goals aside temporarily to complete mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe military standards are in place, enforce the standards, but do your best to mentor the soldier to make them better overall.

Worked for PA National Guard? Contribute to the Community!