PACCAR Reviews

258 reviews filtered by
2.6
PACCAR CEO Ronald E. Armstrong
Ronald E. Armstrong

Pros
  • Also not a horrible place to maintain work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Stable company, 401K match, luckily my supervisor is accommodating with flex time as needed (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The full-time employees seemed to lack work-life balance in certain department (in 11 reviews)

• The dress code is tremendously strict (in 21 reviews)

1. Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Real teams, real goals, and real money. Everyone works to achieve quality results, and are always willing to help. I don't know why former employees think they didn't get paid enough, but PACCAR pays much better than a lot of companies HQ'd in the Washington state.

Cons

I'm just putting a filler here to fulfill the 20 word minimum. But I haven't experienced any cons about PACCAR since I've been here.

Keep doing what you're doing, everything has been smooth sailing for me. 20 word minimum achieved I hope.

Excellent, well-respected company that is stuck in the 1950's work culture.

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Ability to gain excellent work experience, professional environment, respected product, potential for upward growth.

Cons

Militant work culture (strict suit and tie dress requirement, no cell phone usage in building, strict hours, no work-life balance); Extremely top-heavy org chart

Loosen the iron grip on employees. Make it a more positive work environment to increase morale and increase worker retention (ie: lower employee turnover).

hell

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Stuffy company that focuses on profits and not people.

get new management

5. The Internships was a great opportunity to really get to know this company.

Former Intern - Internship in Renton, WA
    Former Intern - Internship in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company makes it a priority to introduce students to all areas of the company so the employee can see departments they don't directly work with. This allows a great understanding of the companies overall opportunities and goals.

Cons

Be prepared to dress in business attire daily however this is very easy to do and puts employees in a good mindset of being focused on the task at hand.

None at this time

Not enough time spent working for company

Former Employee - Corporate Accountant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great reputation and great to have on resume

Cons

Lack of training, misleading benefits before hiring, unclear values, poor communication and lack of team attitude. During fourth quarter, tax season and a team member short they hired me and I was given misleading information by the person i replaced who was more focused on her department transfer than training me. There was no chart of accounts, one week training at the beginning of December so no training on closing entries or duties and no list of anything at all as to expectations or the time to start, and little to no communication with supervisor until getting approval to post entries.

7. Good company. Changing culture.

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

good company for resume development

Cons

hard to compete on salary basis

Life goes on; the grass is really greener outside of PACCAR!

I worked at PACCAR

Pros

New President and CEO – good reputation; intelligent; potential to move the company in the direction they should go in the 21st century if allowed to do so. A lot of talented and hard-working individuals work for this company.

Cons

PACCAR has been outclassed in benefits over the past 10 years regionally by just about any other employer. Salaries are not competitive for the Pacific Northwest. Salary structures only get reviewed/changed every ten years. Very strict workplace environment; independent thinking/actions not welcomed.

To HR management, stop worrying about your reviews on glass door and take time and action to improve perceptions rather than fabricating them on glass door. Clean up your management, stop rewarding the wrong people and encouraging toxic behavior by promoting people that should never have been hired in the first place. Improve your benefits, salary, workplace environment, dress code and outdated expectations on personal appearance. Pay attention to high turnover….there is a reason for it!

9. Not too bad

I worked at PACCAR

Pros

Steady job with good opportunity to move up. Not a ton of stress

Cons

Wearing a suit everyday gets old, so does going home for forgetting to shave.

Good company, if it's a culture fit.

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Trucks are an interesting product line to deal with.
    - Most employees are dedicated and smart.
    - Company loves cross trained employees; they are willing to let you try new roles outside your comfort zone and you can be promoted to do it.
    - Minimal office politics and backstabbing, it's not tolerated by management higher up.

Cons

- Culture fit is not for everyone. It's a conservative company; especially for the Northwest. Corporate office is business attire (suit & tie). Facial hair is generally not tolerated.
    - Company's strong cost control culture can manifest itself in strange ways.
    - Below market compensation structure. Employee benefits which were very good in years past have eroded to average. Salary has never been better than average.

Recent executive management changes are having an impact on the company. Let's see where they go.

11. Over 6 years at PCAR.

I worked at PACCAR

Pros

Great training ground to learn how to be successful at business. The pay and benefits are competitive. Encourage cross training.

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility. Everyone has a role and can be replaced quickly if need be. Pull on peg out put another one in.

Provide opportunities to move up through the organization based on ability not tenure.