PACCAR

Updated January 30, 2015
2.3

PACCAR CEO Ronald E. Armstrong
Ronald E. Armstrong

Pros
  • Also not a horrible place to maintain work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Stable company, 401K match, luckily my supervisor is accommodating with flex time as needed (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The full-time employees seemed to lack work-life balance in certain department (in 11 reviews)

• The dress code is tremendously strict (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a great place to retire, good money w/ little expectations.

Cons

Not a great place to work for a young guy, you will learn paperwork but no skills.

People are your best tools, HR needs a good judge of personality like Jenny Hall.

Welcome to the Stone Age!

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to put on a resume and benefits are at best average amongst the industry. Great place to work for a steady paycheck.

Cons

Care far more about the bottom line than any employee. Employees are an expense to management not an asset and very little investment is put towards infrastructure.

Solid

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

opportunities are good for solid employees

Cons

salary can be better, but work/life is good

more money for people that deserve it

Great place to work

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Great work life balance and people to work with

Cons

Dress code is very conservative

Ron Armstrong is a great leader and CEO

Stay away for your own good

Current Employee - Engineer in Mount Vernon, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mount Vernon, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location: The West Coast natural beauty and scenery.
    You have a job and no unemployment gap in your resume

Cons

Too many to list:
    1 - old managers that still think we are in the 60s
    2 - no technical challenge for any smart engineer, most of the engineers here are just there because they really have no other choice.
    3 - lot of grumpy people who think working at Paccar is like working for NASA.
    4 - no room for growth, unless you are a white male or willing to let yourself be intimidated.
    5 - you will learn nothing and may lose what you have learnt somewhere. You want to work on engine go to companies like Cummins or Volvo

Treat your employee with respect and hire young and talented engineers from different walk of life.

Depressing

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our Bellevue, Renton and Kirkland locations are easy to access from I-405.

Cons

We focus 90% of our energy on putting our colleagues down, to highlight our own meager successes.
    We spend half of each Friday drumming up a report of "significant events", to give Sr. Management an inflated picture of the things we have accomplished.
    We stress WAY too much over each other's attire and grooming. If someone shows up wrinkled, dirty, or immodest, we literally make note of it, and include it in their performance appraisal and/or discussions for promotion.
    We think semi trucks are exciting.

Everyone knows we need a complete culture overhaul.

Depressing

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a great place for Type A's to feel important.

Cons

We ruthlessly tear each other down to buoy our own careers up
    We stress over irrelevant details (required, standardized power point fonts, facial hair)
    We LOVE talking about professional attire, and we terrorize colleagues who don't dress perfect business professional. As a result, we all dress like grandmas!

We need a total culture overhaul here.

Solid, secure job with a proven company

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work hard, and it'll be pretty difficult to lose your job. PACCAR take care of their employees. I had two supervisors during my nearly five years there, and both were excellent. They were mentors and guides more than supervisors. I know bad supervisors existed, but I believe this is the exception rather than the rule. They still have a pension, so far as I know (vested at five years). Seventy-four or whatever STRAIGHT consecutive years of profit can't be argued with. They have a good employee review process; I never had to ASK for a raise, they were already on top of it.

Cons

PACCAR are not afraid to cut the fat when they have to, but don't be the fat and GENERALLY you won't have a problem. If an old-fashioned conservative company (nice dress, no shenanigans, etc...) isn't for you, this probably isn't your company. There are definitely a fair amount of old and cranky people who have been there a few years too long and hate anything new and different. I can't speak to the new CEO, but Mark Piggott was pretty darn successful by most metrics.

Keep up the good work, maybe try and weed out those managers who aren't well-liked. Watch out for the cranky old people who have been there too long and hate anything new and different. Mentor and guide more than supervise and manage.

A good place to be creative; a bad place to be a girl.

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard work and innovative thinking are rewarded. If you present your ideas with evidence and the enthusiasm to lead the charge- you get support. As with all large companies, there is a range of how you can participate- from hunkering down and performing an 8-hour day role, to collaborating across work groups and needing to stay over time to meet a project deadline. The work is engaging and often requires creative thinking and working in groups. The people in all areas are dedicated and willing to pitch in for mutual successes.

Cons

Managers spend a lot of time away from the office travelling and make decisions without having a good sense of what their employees need to achieve the goals they set for them. There is a lot of gender bias where women are expected to take care of the social and emotional needs of staff and men are allowed to perform at a lower level of collaboration, and even productivity, without consequences.

Pay atttention to decisions you make and how they affect the work you want done.

Stable, but frustrating

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment, lots of good people to work with, wide variety of projects to work on.

Cons

Raises are random and not tied to performance reviews, and far from annual even though the company is very profitable. Senior management seems to operate more by fear than actual leadership.