PACCAR Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
2.2

PACCAR CEO Ronald E. Armstrong
Ronald E. Armstrong

Pros
  • Also not a horrible place to maintain work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Paccar is a very financially stable company, and has made a profit every year for decades on end (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The dress code is tremendously strict (in 20 reviews)

• And yes, the weird facial hair scandal even gave me the creeps & I'm female (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Current Employee - Facilities  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Facilities in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are pretty good, Lots of challenging projects

Cons

Lots of turnover, don't always promote within

More Flex time

Inventory Planner and Buyer

Former Employee - Inventory Planner and Buyer  in  Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Inventory Planner and Buyer in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company with stable processes. One of the few companies with a pension at retirement.

Cons

Compensation was OK, work environment was OK, training for the position was very light. Nothing to brag about but I have seen worse. The 401K matching is low and there is a long minimum employment period to be fulfilled before employer matching starts.

Spend some time and attention to grow and advance the women in the company. My impression was that there was little opportunity for advancement.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Great experience
    -Good pay for an internship
    -Very nice, intelligent people in the corporate accounting group
    -Great Hands-on experience

Cons

-Outdated systems
    -Stodgy corporate culture
    -The full-time employees seemed to lack work-life balance in certain department
    -Business formal attire is depressing, particularly since most other companies in the Seattle-Bellevue area have casual dress

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Employee

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

People and financial security are good

Cons

Senior leaders are out of touch

What Is The Message When HR People Keep Leaving?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job security
    Decent benefits
    Work schedule is predictable
    Good coworkers

Cons

People don't matter. Acknowledgment and expect from upper leadership is lacking and that attitude trickles down. When you have as much turnover in HR as we do, there is no continuity. If the people who support management and company policies can't handle it, who can? We keep losing good people and it sends a strong message.

You have a problem with senior leadership that will probably get your attention when you can no longer attract talent in a good labor market. You have no HR department, maybe you should look for some good leadership there.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Good pay, great company benefits, professional management

Cons

Warehouse temps in the summertime reach over 100

Old School

Former Employee - DSM
    Former Employee - DSM

I worked at PACCAR full-time for more than a year

Pros

I gained valuable commercial lending experience in my role. The flexibility of my schedule given that I worked from home was also a plus. Good coworkers.

Cons

As many before me wrote, the company approach was very old school, intimidate your employee into obtaining the results. Fortunately, I was a hard worker that got the results, but didn't appreciate being berated along the way. It is true that males are "encouraged"....strongly "encouraged".....to keep a clean face. So much so, that I attended the interview clean shaven. I grew my facial hair back within the month and attended the next couple of sales meetings with a manicured mustache and beard. Let's just say I heard about my choices later.

Your approach needs to be upgraded.

Get some experience here then get smart, and go elsewhere.

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company does everything it can to ensure employees show up for work; pay for vanpool costs. Clean work. Lots of clear goal setting opportunities.

Cons

The culture. New managers fear for their jobs. They are asked to identify on a bell curve who is the lowest and highest performing employee. They do this to allow HR to identify who to eliminate and who to overload with more work while at same time cycling in new eager grads. Exceptional workers are simply engineering heads that are not compensated via a variable pay incentive or bonus but simply identified to take on more work. Consequently the new managers themselves are terrified they do anything even lie about an employee to get rid of them to cover their behinds. True, an employee reaps what he sews but you are measured upon yearly goals from executive management down and some managers set goals for you...watch for that. Paccar (PACCAR) the latter being correct type font does not care about employees as much as the fancy brand identity seems to suggest; so benefits are terrible. Only 5 sick days a year. You must come in clean shaven if the company asks you or you can look for work elsewhere. Salary is well below other major firms for experienced engineers and project engineers. Company encourages you to get a PE license to which you will never need or use; they do that to retain the very best employees or at least those who behave and follow the company doctrine. You are suggested to read and follow the who moved my cheese book and mentality obey it. Benefits are being reduced every year: As such, employees now pay one third of their own medical costs for only 80% health coverage ($600 per month) for Premera. Company claims to have an open policy so say you want to talk to the director versus your boss they encourage it...only later to tell you that you did a bad thing..."bypassing your boss to discuss an issue - we noticed that". The firm is very conservative. Mark Pigott is a master of making money and a good showman businessman. Case in point he dodged a bullet when the last company revenue press release was held. A person asked...how much of the 2billion dollars in PACCAR profit was made via sales of parts on the new PACCAR engine? He responded... oh, very little. Our engines are bullet proof. He is very cunning and as such people are worried they might upset him which is absolute rubbish. Only God can judge you... most of us can go on and on but unless you really want a job where you are simply a "head", don't come here except to get some experience or employee references. If anything employers elsewhere will say this felloe learned how to behave as they worked at PACCAR.

This is advice to employees which includes management. Now that Mark P. Has taken a back seat and will eventually go to the perverbial truck stop or nearest retirement home across the street...stand up for yourselves. A call to all of you. Say something when the company yells at you or demands you to shave. Does that make you a better employee the opcom saw a bunch of sad employees walking around known as engineering heads looking like sheep and demanded they all look a certain way!
    Do you fear for your job or that if you stand up for something you might get fired? Put an end to this. If you plan to do all the negative things all the reviews tell tales about at least compensate employees with 100% tuition reimbursement, a top salary, and then you can boast that Mark Pigott strolled in and demanded specific employees with facial hair shave, or face immediate termination. Think of employee moral. Advice to employees:

. Keep working and plugging away. Take your career elsewhere. Keep your resume and LinkedIn updated every month. PACCAR is a great place to gain resume experience easily but not a place you will ever need what you learned in school. Beating up on suppliers, using a phone and powerpoint...endless meetings and overworked employees, and vice versa being yelled at from the plant is what you need to be prepared for at PACCAR. 75 years of consecutive profit means...we don't care about employees at cyclical downturns, you will see loss of your livelihood...and during profit years we don't share it with employees except senior management and executive opcom. Change or eventually the worker pool will all be leaving or become sadly contractors...

Not for everyone.

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Very solid internship program, good practice of formal business, offers a wide range of skill set and knowledge to learn from, very stable company with consistent growth

Cons

Very old school, disagreeing with the management or exercising creative new ideas might push your entire career into a fire pit. Hard to let yourself be who you really are, have to find that perfect mix of super conservative yet superficially positive attitude in order to fit in. Hard work doesn't matter as much as fitting in with the company culture.

Keep the things that drive company profit and throw away the strict rules and stiff work environment to let employees feel more "free".

BELIEVE THE REVIEWS. THEY ARE TRUE

Former Employee - Materials Management  in  Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Materials Management in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paccar is and will continue to be a stable company. If you are young in your career, it wouldn't be a bad place to get some good work experience. Work life balance for NON-managers is relatively good. The benefits are good. The senior management is good. My department manager was excellent. He was a good strategic thinker with vision for the department. He was a good person to be around.

Cons

The pay is far below what you could get for the same job somewhere else. The volume of work they expected was completely unreasonable. I typically worked at least 50 hours a week, and usually more. The amount of vacation is not negotiable, and really stunk when compared with the amount of work I had to get done. Delegating to my exempt employees was hampered by immense turn-over and an extended period of time where I wasn't allowed to fill open positions. The dress code is ridiculous. Your desk is not your own. It needs to be kept in a certain way the company defines as acceptable. It needs to look like nobody is working there and forget bringing in personal items. If you do have them, they need to be put away when the "Chairman" is going to be in the building. I could go on, but you get the general idea. The 'culture' is crazy and definitely not for everyone.

See the cons listed. You will eventually need to come into the current century if you expect to retain the employees.

Worked for PACCAR? Contribute to the Community!