PACCAR Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
260 reviews filtered by

Depressing

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our Bellevue, Renton and Kirkland locations are easy to access from I-405.

Cons

We focus 90% of our energy on putting our colleagues down, to highlight our own meager successes.
    We spend half of each Friday drumming up a report of "significant events", to give Sr. Management an inflated picture of the things we have accomplished.
    We stress WAY too much over each other's attire and grooming. If someone shows up wrinkled, dirty, or immodest, we literally make note of it, and include it in their performance appraisal and/or discussions for promotion.
    We think semi trucks are exciting.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows we need a complete culture overhaul.

Depressing

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a great place for Type A's to feel important.

Cons

We ruthlessly tear each other down to buoy our own careers up
    We stress over irrelevant details (required, standardized power point fonts, facial hair)
    We LOVE talking about professional attire, and we terrorize colleagues who don't dress perfect business professional. As a result, we all dress like grandmas!

Advice to Management

We need a total culture overhaul here.

Solid, secure job with a proven company

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work hard, and it'll be pretty difficult to lose your job. PACCAR take care of their employees. I had two supervisors during my nearly five years there, and both were excellent. They were mentors and guides more than supervisors. I know bad supervisors existed, but I believe this is the exception rather than the rule. They still have a pension, so far as I know (vested at five years). Seventy-four or whatever STRAIGHT consecutive years of profit can't be argued with. They have a good employee review process; I never had to ASK for a raise, they were already on top of it.

Cons

PACCAR are not afraid to cut the fat when they have to, but don't be the fat and GENERALLY you won't have a problem. If an old-fashioned conservative company (nice dress, no shenanigans, etc...) isn't for you, this probably isn't your company. There are definitely a fair amount of old and cranky people who have been there a few years too long and hate anything new and different. I can't speak to the new CEO, but Mark Piggott was pretty darn successful by most metrics.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, maybe try and weed out those managers who aren't well-liked. Watch out for the cranky old people who have been there too long and hate anything new and different. Mentor and guide more than supervise and manage.

5. A good place to be creative; a bad place to be a girl.

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard work and innovative thinking are rewarded. If you present your ideas with evidence and the enthusiasm to lead the charge- you get support. As with all large companies, there is a range of how you can participate- from hunkering down and performing an 8-hour day role, to collaborating across work groups and needing to stay over time to meet a project deadline. The work is engaging and often requires creative thinking and working in groups. The people in all areas are dedicated and willing to pitch in for mutual successes.

Cons

Managers spend a lot of time away from the office travelling and make decisions without having a good sense of what their employees need to achieve the goals they set for them. There is a lot of gender bias where women are expected to take care of the social and emotional needs of staff and men are allowed to perform at a lower level of collaboration, and even productivity, without consequences.

Advice to Management

Pay atttention to decisions you make and how they affect the work you want done.

Stable, but frustrating

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment, lots of good people to work with, wide variety of projects to work on.

Cons

Raises are random and not tied to performance reviews, and far from annual even though the company is very profitable. Senior management seems to operate more by fear than actual leadership.

7. Solid company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have great training
    They promote from within, so high career mobility
    Very stable
    Good work life balance

Cons

Compensation is middle tier at best
    You will need to attend grad school to progress to senior managment

Advice to Management

You are a great company but your locations are a bit dated.

8. Great company!

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Excellent pay and good people.

Cons

You have to know someone to get promoted up

9. It's a good place to get hands-on experience. They teach you a lot.

Former Intern - General Accounting in Bellevue, WA
    Former Intern - General Accounting in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They all work very professionally. Managers are good, patient, and easy to work with.

Cons

The working hours are too strict.

10. good learning experience

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good place to learn how a successful old school company can be run.

Cons

old school, silo environment. very little flexibility.

Great Place to gain experience

Former Employee - Associate Engineer Post
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer Post

I worked at PACCAR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PACCAR is a reasonable firm to work for but you'll probably need a working spouse to justify being here. The pay for an average engineer is not stellar for the Seattle region. The firm allows clean dress codes, and strict adherence to work schedule and provides a vanpool for employees and mileage reimbursement for travel to nearby plant and tech center.

Cons

PACCAR is an assembler type of firm. A Bachelor's degree "Gets you in the door" but one will never need the four years of study you took during your employment. for example, an EE wil lstudy PLC programming, printed circuit board design, Matlab, LT Spice, VFD, Motors, Simullink, Labview but a typical day for an EE at PACCAR is....answering the phone, dealing with suppliers, vendors, cross functional departments, setting up meetings, presenting at weekly team meetings, creating ECN's and preparing for design reviews. Cad work is outsourced so at most your job is to feed work requests to cad designers so if you learned cad in your studies it is not a necessary skill. You will need to know how to operate the 1980's industry standard cobol based terminal programs that all the OEM's such as PACCAR, Daimler, Navistar use. Besides your job being boring, the pay is below average. The culture at PACCAR makes it very rigid and un-flexible. On a cyclical basis the economy and truck industry will drop and you might find yourself out of a job. When you apply for a position outside of PACCAr your best bet is to go for re-training as you won't have any skills related to your chosen degree profession as a senior employee (say you've been with PACCAR 10+ years) as if you are applying for EE jobs those employers expect VFD, PLC, Spice simulations, and the like while those types of work are outsourced to the "black box manufacturer" at PACCAR which is an "Assembler". We are not talking about Mercedes Benz here which designs every last nut and bolt. AT PACCAR if a truck needs to be designed for powertrain the firm typically calls up a supplier such as Eaton, DANA, Fuller, and Cummins and your job is to integrate what they tell you into your frame rail. It's mostly an assembly environment with not a lot of your own enginuity required and typically cost reduction and warranty reduction is the most important to your goals. In closing PACCAR would be a great place to intern and try out. If you are struggling to find work and you like it then by all means you will do well in the firm. If however, you intern there (like some have and found) the job you hired on as may be nothing like your internship (often times PACCAR will place an intern in a high profile job such as R&D then drop them into a bottom of the totem pole spot when hired on full time) you then should sharpen your resume and post it and get out so that you aren't a 10 year employer that then gets pulled into a cyclical downturn and you find yourself out of work. My advice is to get an MBA so that you can advance while at same time don't expect PACCAR to compensate you 100%. Those tuition programs are a thing of the past so a $65k dollar MBA at Foster will be covered by half. Consider your average salary at PACCAR and you might research other firms to work. Unless, your commute is less than 2 miles, are a foreigner who can't find work elsewhere, you'll probably learn quickly that a huge employer like this makes it hard to advance.

Advice to Management

Stop placing interns in high profile R&D jobs then dropping them into bottom barrel jobs that even senior engineers still do. Be honest about the job so that the best students can decide if PACCAR really is where they want to be. In time this will force the company to change so that, yes the job is nothing like the education but at least it pays extraordinarily well. Right now, that is not something anyone can say! Instead what you'll hear is "you'll never need any of your schooling and the pay is below average".