PACCAR Reviews

Inventory Planner and Buyer

Former Employee - Inventory Planner and Buyer in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Inventory Planner and Buyer in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong company with stable processes. One of the few companies with a pension at retirement.

Cons

Compensation was OK, work environment was OK, training for the position was very light. Nothing to brag about but I have seen worse. The 401K matching is low and there is a long minimum employment period to be fulfilled before employer matching starts.

Advice to Management

Spend some time and attention to grow and advance the women in the company. My impression was that there was little opportunity for advancement.

It was like getting released from a jail sentence; getting a new job was.

Former Employee - Manager Financial in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager Financial in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Umm, the location. Sadly, company name looks good on a resume; hilarious. That about sums it up.

Cons

Was stuck in a management position for over 6 years. Numerous applications submitted to move up or change Divisions, for the benefit of the company and my career path. Never even had a chance, over and over again. Amazing that I change companies and have been promoted twice since July 2014. Must be the difference of being promoted for your abilities and potential vs. being passed-over because you don't stroke the right executive.

Summing it up: avoid this company for the sake of your career future. I wasted at least 3 years at this place, hoping and hoping to be allowed to move-up.

Advice to Management

Give qualified managers a chance to grow. Your rah rah frat golf boy's club will only last so long. Karma is a bit**.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Good pay, great company benefits, professional management

Cons

Warehouse temps in the summertime reach over 100

Old School

Former Employee - DSM
    Former Employee - DSM

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gained valuable commercial lending experience in my role. The flexibility of my schedule given that I worked from home was also a plus. Good coworkers.

Cons

As many before me wrote, the company approach was very old school, intimidate your employee into obtaining the results. Fortunately, I was a hard worker that got the results, but didn't appreciate being berated along the way. It is true that males are "encouraged"....strongly "encouraged".....to keep a clean face. So much so, that I attended the interview clean shaven. I grew my facial hair back within the month and attended the next couple of sales meetings with a manicured mustache and beard. Let's just say I heard about my choices later.

Advice to Management

Your approach needs to be upgraded.

Not for everyone.

I have been working at PACCAR

Pros

Very solid internship program, good practice of formal business, offers a wide range of skill set and knowledge to learn from, very stable company with consistent growth

Cons

Very old school, disagreeing with the management or exercising creative new ideas might push your entire career into a fire pit. Hard to let yourself be who you really are, have to find that perfect mix of super conservative yet superficially positive attitude in order to fit in. Hard work doesn't matter as much as fitting in with the company culture.

Advice to Management

Keep the things that drive company profit and throw away the strict rules and stiff work environment to let employees feel more "free".

BELIEVE THE REVIEWS. THEY ARE TRUE

Former Employee - Materials Management in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Materials Management in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paccar is and will continue to be a stable company. If you are young in your career, it wouldn't be a bad place to get some good work experience. Work life balance for NON-managers is relatively good. The benefits are good. The senior management is good. My department manager was excellent. He was a good strategic thinker with vision for the department. He was a good person to be around.

Cons

The pay is far below what you could get for the same job somewhere else. The volume of work they expected was completely unreasonable. I typically worked at least 50 hours a week, and usually more. The amount of vacation is not negotiable, and really stunk when compared with the amount of work I had to get done. Delegating to my exempt employees was hampered by immense turn-over and an extended period of time where I wasn't allowed to fill open positions. The dress code is ridiculous. Your desk is not your own. It needs to be kept in a certain way the company defines as acceptable. It needs to look like nobody is working there and forget bringing in personal items. If you do have them, they need to be put away when the "Chairman" is going to be in the building. I could go on, but you get the general idea. The 'culture' is crazy and definitely not for everyone.

Advice to Management

See the cons listed. You will eventually need to come into the current century if you expect to retain the employees.

Unless you are a white, male, (preferably an engineer too) - then you aren't leadership material for PACCAR.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Denton, TX

I have been working at PACCAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company, 401K match, luckily my supervisor is accommodating with flex time as needed. Also, Peterbilt's truly are the best truck on the road & it feels good to have pride in your product.

Cons

Where to start?

The culture is depressing. I am surrounded by employees who have been with PACCAR for literally decades, who think they own the company & are so grumpy. The long-term employees truly get away with anything & most of them (not ALL) treat you anyway they please, as they feel entitled.

The reviews are all true, this company operates on fear from Mark Pigott. Too many horror stories about Mr. Pigott to even count.

If you're a female, best of luck advancing your career because you likely won't. Meaning, the men all promote their male friends & it's a man's world big time here. It's just the way it is. And if you're an attractive female, you will either be shunned & judged for taking care of yourself or gawked at by most of the plant men.

You will be told you MUST have an MBA for advancement here. And then once you get your MBA, you will have to beat out all the male engineers for positions.

And yes, the weird facial hair scandal even gave me the creeps & I'm female. How bizarre that men cannot have facial hair? This place is operated like a backwoods cult by a controlling chairman.

Everyone is married to someone in the plant & their entire family works there too...it's weird to me but maybe that's just me.

Advice to Management

Chill out. Don't be so unfriendly & rigid.

Promote people unbiasedly & bring more female leadership into PACCAR.

Get rid of long-term employees who should have retired already. Ageism is a concern & I get that, however stop allowing employees to "camp out" way past their expiration date. If long-term employees add value then keep them, if they don't add value then let them go.

Requires patience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at PACCAR full-time

Pros

Everything is approved at the highest level.

Cons

Takes a long time to make positive change.

Advice to Management

Task the talented people you have hired with doing their jobs.

Schizophrenic, Mind-numbing, and Fear-based.

Former Employee - SAP IT Functional Analyst in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - SAP IT Functional Analyst in Renton, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Good for your resume.
    2. You learn quickly because you have to, or you'll be on secret probation.
    3. You quickly seek out like-minded people who you quickly befriend solely based on the hubris of middle-management.

Cons

These "Cons" apply specifically to the Information Technology Department (ITD)
    1. Middle-management ruins quality workers. I cannot stress this enough. Middle-management needs to be taken out of the corporate structure because a ton of layers of work is already expected just to get the job done.
    2. Had it not been for my immediate 2 middle-managers, one for Production Support, and one for Projects (both of which I had to report to multiple times per day), I might still be at the company today.
    3. Training was completely OTJ, and there was never any budget for eternal classroom (or even online) SAP training.
    4. If you don't drink the Kool-aid, you're immediately an outcast. This happened to me around the end of my first year working there.
    5. ITD has / had some amazingly talented Functional and Technical employees, but unfortunately the middle-management were successful in driving most away claiming that "they just didn't fit in with the culture"

Advice to Management

Unfortunately I cannot give any advice to management since, if they have not already read these reviews and really soaked them in, there really is no hope.

Get ready to drink the kool aid - and don't forget to shave

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at PACCAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid financials, has been profitable for a long time, stable employment.

Cons

Non-competitive salaries, management is useless, not flexible on scheduling, benefits are nothing special, little to no perks, very negative environment most of the time, everyone always acts as though they are about to lose their job if they don't impress. Culture is suffocating.

Work/Life balance is ok...but you are often indirectly suggested to put in more than 40 hours a week. Paccar (Kenworth) runs very lean, so expect to have a very heavy workload.

Paccar has done things a certain way for a long time, and they don't want to change and adapt to more modern styles of management and culture. So get ready to drink the Paccar kool aid if you want to fit in. Oh, and don't forget, facial hair isn't allowed.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the employees and new technology. Get out of the 1950's culture and step into the 21st century.

RSS Feed </> Embed