PAF

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
2.4

Alan Balch

PAF is a great organization dedicated to making a difference.

I have been working at PAF

Pros

PAF has a work culture unlike any I have ever been apart of. My position works across departments and I have to say it is the best organization I have ever worked for. Leadership is great, workload is manageable and compensation is fair for workload. Training is incredibly thorough; you never have to wonder what your role is.

Cons

I have yet to come across cons. If I ever had questions or issues, they were addressed immediately and fairly. PAF is dedicated to employee satisfaction and it shows.

Keep it up!

Mission Driven Organization making a difference

Current Employee - Management in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization and the nimble, creative, employee friendly environmen are the reasons I choose to work for PAF. PAF helps tens of thousands of people a year who may otherwise not recieve care or be able to pay for their care. The management team works hard to listen to employee feedback and make organizational and environmental changes in response. There are always improvements that can be made in a work environment but I appreciate the expectations that are placed on management to listen, respond and continually focus on the staff and their needs. The benefit package is comprehensive, no vesting period for the 401K plan and the holiday and vacation schedules are really generous!

Cons

Working on behalf of chronically ill patients can be very difficult and frustrating. However, when positive oucomes are achieved, the work is rewarding.

As a member of the managment team, I konw that increasing training opportunities would be beneficial for the staff and the patients we serve.

Not as rewarding as others portray

I worked at PAF full-time

Pros

the pay was good and met some nice coworkers

Cons

there were many people who slacked on the work which increased the caseload of others (often) and the medical benefits were not the best.

be more professional and reduce the change in middle management positions.

Avoid unless you don't have any other options

Current Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Winter breaks, helping patients, free water

Cons

I believe the major downside to working here is senior management. I have been here for a few years now and it is very clear that their senior management team (mostly family and their friends) are underqualified and overpaid. Honestly the "family" clears almost $1 millon dollars in salary each year while laying people off and making other mistakes, but if you are family or one of their friends you are safe and taken care of. When I first started I used to hear all sorts of crazy stories about this place some of which you can't believe because they just sound pure crazy, but over time you realize that they are all true and before you know it you experience it first hand. They call themselves as an equal oppurtunity employers but it really seems far from the truth as others mentioned it is very common for folks to get unadvertised jobs or positions just made up for them if you are liked by the family. I feel like doing this is really just taking away from the patients that need it and the hard working employees. There are so many senior level mistakes made, mostly just by wasting the money it will make you sick to your stomach, but people just keep giving them more and more and their salaries keep getting bigger and bigger. You can't trust HR, or as they are known by their new name "Talent Management" as it seems anyone who complains or exposes something gets the axe or "laid off". How can you lay someone off and hire someone else at the same time? Most of the people here are backstabbing and it is very clickish, but there are some people who actually care about helping the patients like me and that is what keeps us coming back. Most people talk about how they are looking for new jobs and there is a lot of turnover for sure. Ever since I joined it just seems like they have been on a downward spiral, everyone keeps hoping things will get better after they replaced the crazy CEO with a new one but it doesn't really appear that way.

As everyone else has said, please fire yourselves and do the patients a favor. We need real leaders that make smart decisions and can handle the donations as if it was actually their money instead giving themselves raises or bonuses. Trust me we know, because all of the IRS reports are public information and even posted on your website and others. Also management shouldn't always focus on how many patients you serve and concentrate on how well you serve those patients, it's not just about numbers but rather about actually helping people and they keep trying to manage us like we are call center employees or something.

Great for Patients. Horrible for employees, except leadership

Current Employee - Call Counselor in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers, free water and ice machine. free coffee, tea and hot water. Free spacious work areas, vending machines, free parking spaces. Free air to breath, Free stress. Free double monitors- for all the extra work you are given. Weekends off so you can work your extra job (due to lack of reasonable pay)

Cons

The new CEO has been a breath of fresh air. PAF is not what it used to be, and it seems as though he is trying to get it back to that point.You cannot bring any issues to leadership team or Talent Management without fear of retaliation.

I enjoy my co-workers and helping people, This is something I find very rewarding. Surveys were done a few months ago to rate employee satisfaction. While I feel the surveys were a great opportunity to get things off our chests the way the results were relayed to us, was a great disappointment. What most of us took out of this meeting is the problems that we all addressed were our perception, and not reality. Sadly I do feel this is much better than the message we got a few years ago that we were not grateful.

When a majority of the staff feel like favoritism is shown, this is not perception, this is a reality. When co-workers who had a few days training and are not proficient in their jobs are groomed for positions, and told they have a position before it is even posted, given additional duties, and offered over-time, when other staff are not this is not our perception, this is the reality.

We always talk about the patients, however we are the patients. Some of us are in the program. The pay was bought up in the survey meeting; while this is probably not an issue for you, or much of our leadership, it is a problem for your staff. There are departments were the starting pay is only $12.09. We were told in the meeting that we need to look at the whole benefits package. We cannot pay bills with the benefits package. We are struggling every day. I don’t think you all know how many of us have to go without eating, or have to go to a food bank to put food on the table. How many of your staff carpool not because they want to but because they cannot afford a car or gas. Many of your staff have roommates or second jobs.

We spend so much time caring for our patients but we are not looked after. Your staff are very giving to each other, we share our homes, cars and food with each other, not just out of kindness but out of necessity. It is not our perception we do not get paid well, the reality is we do not. We were told in the meeting that we make a comparable salary to others in the area. Talent Management rattled off some data that was used in the figuration used. This is difficult to hear from someone who makes enough to be able to take a voluntary pay cut, like she did a few years ago. PAF’s founder made almost a half million dollars, yet you have staff that cannot provide the basic necessities to live. I would give up winter shut-down, and even the company paid benefits like life insurance and short and long term disability if I could be paid more.

We are always told we should be accountable for what we do, however excuses were made for our leaders failing their staff. We are micro-managed, favoritism is shown, and management is not approachable. These are not perceptions, this is reality. We just want to be able to come to work and get paid for the hard work we do. If we are trying to be a preferred employer, we need to be able to be paid enough, so we do not have to rely on food stamps, food banks, other co-workers or family and friends to make it.
    The new CEO is trying to fix this sinking ship. We are number one as far as the patients are concerned. As far as the staff, this would not be the case. As a whole everyone I spoke with from the different departments are very dissatisfied with the survey. We feel it t was not even worth the time as it is unlikely things will change. Instead of being called into meeting to tell us we are messing up, it would be nice to hear something positive. We are not children and do not need to be given treats (Ice cream, candy, or cookies) to keep us motivated.

Keep the new CEO and fire all upper management and HR. Give your underpaid employees raises so we can pay our bills.

Management Lacks Integrity

I worked at PAF (more than a year)

Pros

Winter Shut-down. Some employees are really nice. HSA Plans and Weight Watchers and walks

Cons

Very low pay. Do not honor commitment. If you are close to one in management, then you may get ahead but if not they will tell you point blank, there is no opportunity for growth. Employees are bad mouth and there are always issues sent to HR daily because of women brawling/fighting on the workplace. Some employees are so foul mouth and disrespectful to their supervisors and HR DO NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. You will never get out at 5pm.

Instead of flat out lying to your people why you have to lay off people, why not cut your six digit paychecks? All you do all day is sit on your cozy offices chit chat on the phone for hours, watch your stocks go up and down and go to lunch each day almost company paid. It is a shame to be a wasteful non-profit organization. You thrive in this business because of peoples and pharmaceuticals donation yet when you spend them you feel like its your money. So wasteful, not a dime for employee increases yet top management gets a raise every year doing nothing!!!!

No Experience Needed to Get Ahead

Current Employee - Call Counselor in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping patients. New CEO. Applications Supervisor.

Cons

Low employee morale. Low pay. Unrealistic expectations. Not enough employees for the work load. Management. Lazy co-workers.

We can all see this ship is sinking fast. When the person you picked for this new position starts, it will be nothing but a disaster. If you are going to pick someone to take a position you have groomed him for at least make sure he can keep his mouth shut. No one wants to take advice from someone who has no clue what they are doing.

This place sucks. if you kiss enough butt you can go far, and even get management positions. Take a good look around you are losing great employees but advancing ones that are mediocre at best. No one is happy and if the job market were better 99% of your staff would leave.

It's a paycheck

Current Employee - Call Counselor in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Winter shut down. Co-Workers. Helping patients.

Cons

Pay- not enough pay for the work that is done. No breaks. Staff treated like toddlers. Have to wait for an email at the end f the day to be "released from work", even if this is after 5.

Trust that your staff will do what they are supposed to do. Stop all the emails about the phones, no one cares and everyone ignores them. Don't ignore us when we are at standing at your desk, that is rude. Actually return calls, Provider and patients get pissed off when they leave you a message and you Never respond to them. Turn the phones off before 5 so we can leave on time.

Hypocritical Business Model - Be Careful

Current Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been working at PAF full-time for more than a year

Pros – winter break (4 - 5 day), 30 minute walk break (once a week), 1 hour lunch break (once a week), early off on Fridays (1 hours). This is a two-sided coin here; the case managers are wonderful people who for the most part enjoy helping customers and you can feel the energy resonate off of these workers on first impressions. Nice and approachable people.

Advice to Senior Management – fire yourself

Cons

Work life balance (governed by ADP portal and no flex time on arrivals), extremely incompetent senior management, nepotism (no diversity at all in the senior management ranks), unrealistic expectations (governed by non-statistical quality measurements). In short this organization is a wannabe corporation and can not retain talent/bright minds from larger organizations due to unrealistic expectations.

Initiate a SWOT analysis on yourself as an organization, what you do, and most importantly the workforce who gets the job done. Understand that currently you do not have the skill set to retain and keep engaged the talented workforce and allow flexibility in work schedules to compensate for lack of pay (Market Rate). While we understand this is a non-profit, we need to act like one and not like a practice corporate environment. Also, you need to address the diversity factor in your senior ranks i.e. Mom, Daughters, and friends in key spots = not a good look.

Big Disappointment

Current Employee - Call Counselor in Hampton, VA

I have been working at PAF full-time

Pros

Winter Shut down, closed on the weekends.

Cons

Leadership, Health Insurance Cost, Compensation, lack of breaks other than lunch, workload, unrealistic goals.

Stop advancing people with no experience or education. If you have no actual education or experience you will go far in this company. This should not be the way things are. Actually listen to your employees. Stop treating everyone like children, and stop showing favoritism to certain team members. Stop rewarding hard workers with extra work and lazy, inept workers with less work. In a job were we help people, your employees should not hate coming to work or have to feel like we are coming to prison, where our every move will be scrutinized by management that has nothing else to do.