PAREXEL

Be The First To
Add Photos

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach

Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
  • Employees are friendly and helpful, and there is a GREAT work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• work from home option, depends on your manager though (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • They work you very hard here - the work/life balance is non-existent (in 17 reviews)

• no work/life balance, constant overload, good people leave for better companies (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights
24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CLINICAL MONITORING ASSOCIATE

Clinical Monitoring Associate (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsGreat company to gain experience from if you are looking for an entry level position

ConsThere is no room for negotiations for salary. The workload can be a bit overwhelming. Training is less than par. High turnover rater

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at why people are leaving the company in such large numbers in start to make changes to retain employees.

Good stepping stone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsBenefits/ Company Picnic/ Winter Gala/ Flexibility/ Tuition reimbursement

ConsLow starting salary/ Minimal raises

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees. Let them know you appreciate their hard work.

good

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsWork culture.
    Good Team.
    Lots of new Practices.So in Learning curve highly helpful
    work from home option, depends on your manager though.

ConsCafeteria can be improved with more options

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Making me weary

Senior Quality Specialist (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsThere's good job security here. I'm closing in on a decade with this company and have the benefit of primarily working from home. At the very least, it's a steady paycheck.

ConsThe pay here is lousy compared to Pharma companies. They also are very top-heavy and tend to overextend and burn out lower-level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to use the management they have and get more lower-level employees. It would help with productivity and improve retention as well as reduce stress. They also need to make promotions more available to those who deserve it by creating more levels within levels.

Good work-life balance, fair compensation

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsExpectations of employees were reasonable, goals were clearly communicated, sufficient and valuable feedback from management, flexible hours.

ConsIn-fighting at the director level can impact employee work, some coworkers tend to coast and let others pick up their slack, it can be hard to make changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your best employees and get rid of underperformers, or the good people will end up leaving.

Stay away from IT and the PMO Departments

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsDecent benefits. Some really great co-workers (if they last).

ConsTwo of the worst run departments I've ever seen in my career - IT and the PMO (all headed up by the CIO). They typically promote the worst people into management which only makes the departments that much worse (there are some good managers but they have no 'voice' to make changes in the departments as upper management doesn't care).

They will spend millions of $$ on creating applications that don't work; aren't useful to the end users and waste valuable time and resources (yet they keep putting money into these failed systems).

They implemented 'Agile' yet providing little to no training for the business side of the ideology. Not to mention that it wasn't a good methodology for many of the projects they were implementing. Projects that should have taken 6 months to a year to fully implement were still in the beginning stages after 2 YEARS (I'm not even exaggerating).

The PMO had some great PMs and BAs but they don't typically last long unless out of necessity or convenience. Almost the entire PMO left when I had only been with the company for 3 months (huge red flag and the department didn't get any better.... it got worse with the same person leading it.)

The IT department is one of the worst I've ever seen. All of the best developers and programmers end up leaving. There is no meta data; no governance; multiple systems that do the same things and are mostly 'home grown' (with little or no documentation).

IT and the PMO should work together harmoniously but they don't. They are often pitted against one another making for a very poor working environment and very poorly run projects (no matter how good the PM, BA or even the developers).

Upper management gets these grandiose ideas to implement projects that do not work well and are not accepted well by the actual people who have to use the applications or systems. Not to mention a huge lack in training for these poor people.

I wish I could say it was a good CRO IT experience but it wasn't. With the lack of governance and poor quality in IT, you'd be better off reading a book if you want to get into the industry or getting a job with a company that isn't constantly in utter chaos. Unfortunately it won't change since the same people are involved in ruining... I mean running these departments.

My best advice is to stay away from these two departments and the company overall. (actually... literally RUN away if you see a job posting!)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is going on in your departments!! You keep promoting the worst people and then wonder why the employees actually doing all the hard work leave. You have probably lost thousands of extremely excellent employees due to your thorough lack of having a clue as to what is going on in your company.

Able to work from home a plus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsI have been working from home for 3+ years. It's great when you have kids in Elementry aged kids. But the decentralized community can feel isolating.
    Hard to advance at PXL. They prefer to reward the folks in South Africa, rather than US workers, it's cheaper to employee in SA, rather than in the US. My LM in SA, works crazy hours.

ConsHard to advance, pay is not great.

You're just a dime a dozen!

Research Associate (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsGreat benefits, good for new college grads trying to get experience in the full-time work experience

ConsI have always put in 150% into my work, ensuring the quality and deadlines by far exceeds what is expected. But that doesn't matter to them........ Morale in the workplace is very low, burn out rate is so high - they don't want to hire anyone locally due to "cost control". But they would rather shift the labor to Asia. Well, that will go to bite them in their rear based on the poor work quality that has already been portrayed. Growth potential is obsolete - only if you had the right connections in the department, regardless of your qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to retain your good employees, and not treat them as just a $$ value to you.

a good learning experience, but no room to move up

Clinical Trial Associate (Former Employee) Billerica, MA

Prosgreat place to learn, and make contacts

Consno room to move up, management does not listen to needs

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to motivate employees

Frustrated

CTS (Current Employee) Billerica, MA

ProsIt's a pay check. The location of the facility is in close proximity to my home.

ConsThe workloads and expectation to provide quality work is so off base. You cannot produce quality if you are so overwhelmed with no sight of relief until you are placed on a PIP ( Personal Improvement Plan). By then management has beaten you down so much that you start looking for employment elsewhere because the company just isn't promoting from within like they should. The benefits could be better, especially when it comes to the cost per paycheck for the family plan. Its quite a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a Mentorship program and do not rely so heavily on WebEx or Powerpoint presentations that lack the face to face human interaction component.

Worked for PAREXEL? Contribute to the Community!