PAREXEL Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.1

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach
Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
  • Employees are friendly and helpful, and there is a GREAT work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great people, good benefits, not micro managing, ability to work from home as a LM (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They work you very hard here - the work/life balance is non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• no work/life balance, constant overload, good people leave for better companies (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

very career-growth oriented company

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time

Pros

company provides great career growth opportunities, training, and flexibility with schedules. Also, working from home is very comment at PAREXEL.

Cons

The pay is lower in CROs than in the rest of industry. This is the only con I've noticed so far.

Good Starting place to gain clinical exposure

Current Employee - CMA II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - CMA II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to global experience, work/life balance acceptable

Cons

Lots of turnover... promotions are hard to get, salaries are lower than average in the industry

Management need to stay consistent and employ techniques to retain their good employees

Work long hours but satisfying

Former Employee - Clinical Operations Leader
    Former Employee - Clinical Operations Leader

I worked at PAREXEL as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contract employee. Had a wonderful manager. People that I worked with worked at Parexel for over 10 years

Cons

I was home based and therefore can't comment on the office culture. Contract compensation was good. Benefits to contract employees were good too.

Great Company

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

They Believe in new grads

Cons

Are Competitive but worth it

As a CMA II, I am involved in providing all services to the site; not just monitoring per monitoring plan.

Current Employee - Clinical Monitoring Associate II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Monitoring Associate II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. They encourage added learning, career development. Many experienced coworkers. They offer a lot of resources, sometimes it's difficult to find and narrow down, but it is usually there! Fair salary.

Cons

The company has made many changes (read: added responsibilities) to the CMA role. In addition to these responsibilities, my sites have tripled. This makes routine, thorough monitoring difficult.

Training is certainly available and encouraged; but we need more study-specific training. ICF customization training for our protocol, not just in general.

Fine

Former Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, recognized clinical research organization.

Cons

Could be better about career advancement.

Try to be more efficient

Good starting point for career in clinical field but not much room for advancement

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

Autonomy, no micro-managing, global company, flexible working hours, learn a lot about clinical field

Cons

No room for advancement, advancement for a select few, promotions not based on merit, favoritism in the work place, small bonuses and raises, lots of turnover

Work on employee retention. You need to treat your employees better and give them more incentives.

Clinical Research Associate

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Remote, OR

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is great. There are bonus opportunities throughout the year (controlled by your LM).

Cons

Clinical Operation Managers will not follow company SOPs, force CRAs to accept extra trips (so they will not have to take them), and will force you out of the company if you are harming their metrics. I have seen minorities and those with health issues written up and fired at higher rates for problems that are not their fault or are known issues within the company worldwide. HR will take the side of the managers if you have a problem. CRAs support each other on a study because managers are either clueless or unresponsive. The work-life balance is a myth. One to one verbal communication from management is very condescending. There are ample training programs. But caution, if you are not well liked or a new employee you will only receive the online training.

A change is needed within the management structure. When minorities or those with health issues leave or are fired at higher rates than others; the directors in the company need to address the issues and change the managers.

Good pay.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Durham, NC

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Depends on your manager and you will have a lot of managers. In four years I have had eight managers. They only promote a select few to move up in the company. Then they hire the rest from the outside. As a CRA there is no work life balance. For the last several months I have worked 6 to 7 days a week, traveling 5 days, report writing and other duties on weekends. It's the only way to stay caught up. Asking a question is like talking to a wall you will never get the same answer from anyone if you do get an answer.

Practice work life balance instead of talking about. Work the same hours you require people under you to work.

Drowning in inefficiencies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Decent benefits. Potential for flexibility but it depends on who you work for.

Cons

Terrible culture of rampant micromanagement, red tape, and inefficiencies. Highly political. Forget about advancement unless you are chummy with the right people. Hard work is just not rewarded here but gossiping, backstabbing, and general incompetence are the way to thrive. You'll likely spend 80% of your time justifying and running reports on what you do the other 20%; and that's when you are not wasting your days in pointless meetings where nothing actually gets accomplished. Good luck getting your hands on assignments which require the very intelligence, skills, and experience that got you hired. Salaries are adequate at the start, but do not keep up with the market, so you'll be training and mentoring new people that are clearly less experienced than you, but earn 15-20% more.

Stop being delusional and recognize that you'll continue to lose talent if you don't provide intellectually stimulating work and treat people and their time with respect they deserve. Look critically at the work and stop the endless meetings and assignments that pose no value to the company or its clients.

PAREXEL Photos