PAREXEL

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach
Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
  • Great people, good benefits, not micro managing, ability to work from home as a LM (in 25 reviews)

• Salary, time off, training department is outstanding, average work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • They work you very hard here - the work/life balance is non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• no work/life balance, constant overload, good people leave for better companies (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A constantly growing and changing environment

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

Growing, challenging, and constantly redefining which provides ample amount for new opportunities.

Cons

Because of the growth and constant desire to grow more, the policies sometimes take longer to change in a good direction, but they do try

Buttoned up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I worked at PAREXEL

Pros

Everyone was professional.
    My bosses were generous.
    Offices are not in downtown so commute is great!
    Benefits package is competitive.

Cons

Definitely will end up working your full week if not overtime.
    Hard to take time off not too flexible.

Become more family and pet friendly :)

2015 Will be a Pivotal Year - and Culture is the Issue.

I worked at PAREXEL

Pros

First and foremost, CRO's are a very important business in the modern world of Biopharma, and PAREXEL is well-positioned as a leader in this field.

- The culture - when it's working - is a nice reflection of the overall Massachusetts business culture, good people all around. But at the same time it's a very international company.

- Lots of work to be done and people are working hard, but there's also good camaraderie at the team level.

- Compensation is good, if you can ask for what you want up front. Nice picnics in the Summer and holiday parties in the Winter.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover lately, some voluntary and some not-so-much. Much of It is a reflection of Corporate America in 2015. Things are healthy and stable, right up to the point where they aren't. I see a lot of HR bashing in these reviews, but the real issue is at a deeper level.

- The good people have to stay good by swimming against the tide, but it's a scientifically proven fact that any system that relies entirely on willpower will eventually fail. The bad people sell out, the good ones just get up and leave.

- Cynicism and Ennui are rampant (I'm serious, go look up the word Ennui in the dictionary.) As the Eagles famously said, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." I saw it up and down the management chain, no one completely escapes from this.

- The problem has an international dimension, you can actually feel the friction caused by the European labor laws. Things are more stable in the countries where you can't let anyone go without well-documented cause, and even then it's a lengthy and difficult process. Over time you see the invisible hand at work, and you begin to understand the realities of how international companies function (or fail to do so).

My heart goes out to you, I'm sure no one wants to change the culture more than those whose job it is to steer the ship and keep it on course.

- Ideally, there would be an effort to address cultural issues by soliciting feedback at all levels.

- Good luck.

paycheck & benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

pay
    health benefits
    vacation benefits roll over to new year
    some are great people to work with

Cons

Sr. Management cares more about stock price and their personal bonuses than their employees or clients
    Resourcing is "temporary challenge" that never is fixed - 1.5-2 FTE workload is expected (but not appreciated)
    over promise work/life balance - very difficult to achieve AND still meet expectations (but sr level management will repeatedly denies this)
    good vacation time but rarely approved to use - management attitude is it rolls over into new year and you'll get paid for when you leave the company
    metrics metrics metrics - systems systems systems - spend as much time reporting what you do as actually doing

How many years is "temporary" ? Upper management needs to be less focused on current quarters' $$$ and their personal bonuses and actually fix the resourcing and operational issues.

Some Great People -- Constant Change is Hard

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance was generally fine. The work and culture ebbed and flowed. Leadership within the business was wonderful. Benefits were fine. Work was good. The company has an incredible mission that I am proud to have supported.

Cons

Constant change made work difficult from time to time. There were some leaders within the HR group during my tenure that had ethical challenges; however, I understand they have moved on from PAREXEL.

Be careful when hiring leaders within HR. Keep supporting the great mission of the company. Keep the strong sense of customer service both internally to the business and externally to the clients. Keep the employee development programs in place.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Principal Developer in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Developer in Billerica, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

Great work culture and work life balance

Cons

low salary and not much scope for growth in IT

Not the best CRO, but not the worst!

I worked at PAREXEL

Pros

Work/life balance depends on the department and line manager. You will learn a lot about the industry and have a variety of therapeutic area to learn from. Benefits are good.

Cons

Upper management! Employees are just a number. Will low ball salary if you let them. No upward mobility. Constant changes in processes. CTMS (IMPACT) not the best. Systems don't interact properly. Bonuses are for management only. Overworked!

Care about your employees! Share the wealth.

ok place to work

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

large company, SOPS in place,

Cons

lay offs occur frequently
    middle management bottle necks

Good as a stepping stone

Former Employee - Senior IT Support Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Support Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at PAREXEL

Pros

A great place to learn and be exposed to various aspects of the business.

Cons

Too rigid. No upward mobility.

Loosen up, respect the employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, everyone is helpful and friendly, a lot of knowledgeable people who are willing to answer questions on a daily basis. Lots of training and places to look for information. Processes are well documented. Hard work is noticed and rewarded. Benefits are wonderful and they consistently promote from within so if you work hard and do a good job, you will never have to look for another job if you are successful at PAREXEL.

Cons

While they give you an abundance of vacation and personal time, it's hard to take it all because we are so busy all the time, maybe they should pay out excess vacation but that's about the only negative thing I can say.

Just more hiring! Other than that, I'm a very happy employee.

PAREXEL Photos