PAREXEL

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach
Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
  • Great people, good benefits, not micro managing, ability to work from home as a LM (in 25 reviews)

• Salary, time off, training department is outstanding, average work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • They work you very hard here - the work/life balance is non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• no work/life balance, constant overload, good people leave for better companies (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

principal software

Current Employee - Principal Software Quality and Test Engineer in Billerica, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good env. for working .

Cons

higher mgmt is a problem

OK..

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time

Pros

Good place for entry level. Worked with some of the most dedicated and wonderful people in the industry.

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours on a regular basis. Poor pay and growth stagnates after a year or two leaving no room for further development. High turnaround.

Good Starting place to gain clinical exposure

Current Employee - CMA II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - CMA II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to global experience, work/life balance acceptable

Cons

Lots of turnover... promotions are hard to get, salaries are lower than average in the industry

Management need to stay consistent and employ techniques to retain their good employees

very career-growth oriented company

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time

Pros

company provides great career growth opportunities, training, and flexibility with schedules. Also, working from home is very comment at PAREXEL.

Cons

The pay is lower in CROs than in the rest of industry. This is the only con I've noticed so far.

Work long hours but satisfying

Former Employee - Clinical Operations Leader
    Former Employee - Clinical Operations Leader

I worked at PAREXEL as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was a contract employee. Had a wonderful manager. People that I worked with worked at Parexel for over 10 years

Cons

I was home based and therefore can't comment on the office culture. Contract compensation was good. Benefits to contract employees were good too.

Great Company

I have been working at PAREXEL

Pros

They Believe in new grads

Cons

Are Competitive but worth it

As a CMA II, I am involved in providing all services to the site; not just monitoring per monitoring plan.

Current Employee - Clinical Monitoring Associate II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Monitoring Associate II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. They encourage added learning, career development. Many experienced coworkers. They offer a lot of resources, sometimes it's difficult to find and narrow down, but it is usually there! Fair salary.

Cons

The company has made many changes (read: added responsibilities) to the CMA role. In addition to these responsibilities, my sites have tripled. This makes routine, thorough monitoring difficult.

Training is certainly available and encouraged; but we need more study-specific training. ICF customization training for our protocol, not just in general.

Drowning in inefficiencies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Decent benefits. Potential for flexibility but it depends on who you work for.

Cons

Terrible culture of rampant micromanagement, red tape, and inefficiencies. Highly political. Forget about advancement unless you are chummy with the right people. Hard work is just not rewarded here but gossiping, backstabbing, and general incompetence are the way to thrive. You'll likely spend 80% of your time justifying and running reports on what you do the other 20%; and that's when you are not wasting your days in pointless meetings where nothing actually gets accomplished. Good luck getting your hands on assignments which require the very intelligence, skills, and experience that got you hired. Salaries are adequate at the start, but do not keep up with the market, so you'll be training and mentoring new people that are clearly less experienced than you, but earn 15-20% more.

Stop being delusional and recognize that you'll continue to lose talent if you don't provide intellectually stimulating work and treat people and their time with respect they deserve. Look critically at the work and stop the endless meetings and assignments that pose no value to the company or its clients.

Clinical Research Associate

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Remote, OR

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is great. There are bonus opportunities throughout the year (controlled by your LM).

Cons

Clinical Operation Managers will not follow company SOPs, force CRAs to accept extra trips (so they will not have to take them), and will force you out of the company if you are harming their metrics. I have seen minorities and those with health issues written up and fired at higher rates for problems that are not their fault or are known issues within the company worldwide. HR will take the side of the managers if you have a problem. CRAs support each other on a study because managers are either clueless or unresponsive. The work-life balance is a myth. One to one verbal communication from management is very condescending. There are ample training programs. But caution, if you are not well liked or a new employee you will only receive the online training.

A change is needed within the management structure. When minorities or those with health issues leave or are fired at higher rates than others; the directors in the company need to address the issues and change the managers.

Fine

Former Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Billerica, MA

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, recognized clinical research organization.

Cons

Could be better about career advancement.

Try to be more efficient

PAREXEL Photos