PAREXEL

Be The First To
Add Photos

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach

Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
  • Employees are friendly and helpful, and there is a GREAT work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

• work from home option, depends on your manager though(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • They work you very hard here - the work/life balance is non-existent(in 17 reviews)

• no work/life balance, constant overload, good people leave for better companies(in 7 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A wonderful and informative summer experience

Research Associate (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsParexel fosters a very professional environment with a talented and friendly management staff. The career opportunities are immense and most employees are very well compensated for their efforts.

ConsYou have to be prepared to work very hard to excell. Most upper level employees put in well north of 40 hours per week, they are still in the process of expanding and probably need to hire more people to balance everyone's workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and don't be afraid to promote from within,

Join PAREXEL

Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsManagement is great. It's like a family. They understand family issues and are very accomodating when their employees are in need of assistance - both in and out of work. The company has good training and encourages continuing education regularly.

ConsThe pay could be better, but this is the cost of having been given the opportunity to enter the clinical trial industry. Promotional opportunities are usually good, but the company is affected in economic downturns. They do their best when promotional opportunities are not feasible due to financial concerns and make it a point to continually stay in contact with their employees about the company's status.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job - please keep up the good work!

Great Company, great benefits, decent salaries

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Prosbenefits
    people
    established company growing very quickly

Consvery large (can be a pro)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to start your pharma career

Vice President (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSuperb place to start in the pharma industry as there are lots of highly competent and knowledgeable people from who you can learn alot from. What you learn at PAREXEL will make you very valuable at pharma and biotech companies, especially locally.

ConsThere is alot of turnover because clients are always cherry-picking staff. There are also alot of "silos" so departments aren't always working together but often they compete against each other instead.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter incentives and rewards for good performance needed. Also better support for staff under alot of pressure to perform for clients.

Impression

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsCompany has a really good benefit plan. You have the opportunity to work with some very smart and nice people.

ConsWork environment is tense and unrewarding. External candidates tend to be hired rather than promoting from within. Compensation is on the lower end for the industry.

Okay Employer

Senior Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsWorked for PXL for a few years, good opportunity if you come in but its hard to progress and youd get further if you left the job and came back but nothing abnormal compared to other CRO's.

ConsThe work life balance could be improved abit further, and career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your staff!

The industry training was exceptional, but line management's expectations of hours worked per week was unreasonable.

Clinical Data Manager (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThis is the Cadillac of the industry in terms of training. You will learn a lot and learn it the right way. The facility is very nice and fellow employees are generally nice people and fun to work with.

ConsI found it extremely stressful in terms of work life balance. The number of hours per week that line management expected an employee to work was unreasonable, especially for salaried employees. It was not at all unusual to be working 12 hour days and then they still wanted more. Employees who chose to work their standard 40 hours were harrassed by line management and made to feel like they would lose their job. It was very stressful from that perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff a project appropriately to give employees a better work life balance. Contractors may love the overtime because they are earning time and a half, but salaried employees are losing out. Be thankful for the overtime an employee freely gives and don't pressure the employee for more.

Wishing times were better – When times are good it seems the trickle down works and growth is possible.

Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsChance for growth & foot in the door of the CRO industry. They offer a good self-paced training program and resources should you choose to expand your training.

ConsThere is a lack of communication about important issues (i.e. rate of promotions, change of work place location)

There is also little flexibility around the 40 hour week. There is the flex-time to a certain amount around the core hours 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. However, you need to log 8 hours a day. Even if you work a 12 hour day putting in significant time to get deliverables out the door, you still need to log 8 hours the next using personal/vacation hours if necessary. For most positions, there is not an option for a 4 day x10 hours workweek.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more give and take. There are MANY overqualified people putting 120% with hopes of notice.

Used to be good, now crazy town

Clinical Monitoring Associate (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGood solid company with strong revenues.

ConsLack of leadership, vision. Work life balance does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay away from IT.

Generally good place to work, but lack of career advancement opportunities if you do not have a CRA background.

Senior Clinical Resource Planner (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsBenefits and pay are up to par with other large organizations. Up until recently, a growing organization which can be exciting if in the right mindset and staffing levels adequate.

ConsLots of departments restructuring year after year. Very high turnover. My department was small, but I would bet the turnover was higher than the CRA population. I had eight managers in seven years. I know some people that had five in eighteen months. Some were great, but others were not so hot. One time I witnessed one of my supervisors fondling a little baggie of a brownish-white foreign substance. I would classify this supervisor's style as "jumpy." Although some strides have been made, technologies used can be antiquated. Staffing levels are rarely adequate for projects, resulting in burnout of the people currently on them. Talent Acquisition can not hire sufficiently, nor in advance as needed to staff projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality first, which may not maximize profits and require hiring staff in advance of revenue generation. Evaluate in a few years to see if exceeding customer expectations results in greater profits.

Worked for PAREXEL? Contribute to the Community!