PAREXEL

Be The First To
Add Photos

PAREXEL Chairman and CEO Josef H. von Rickenbach

Josef H. von Rickenbach

Pros
  • Employees are friendly and helpful, and there is a GREAT work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

• work from home option, depends on your manager though(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • They work you very hard here - the work/life balance is non-existent(in 17 reviews)

• no work/life balance, constant overload, good people leave for better companies(in 7 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Used to be good, now crazy town

Clinical Monitoring Associate (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGood solid company with strong revenues.

ConsLack of leadership, vision. Work life balance does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay away from IT.

Generally good place to work, but lack of career advancement opportunities if you do not have a CRA background.

Senior Clinical Resource Planner (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsBenefits and pay are up to par with other large organizations. Up until recently, a growing organization which can be exciting if in the right mindset and staffing levels adequate.

ConsLots of departments restructuring year after year. Very high turnover. My department was small, but I would bet the turnover was higher than the CRA population. I had eight managers in seven years. I know some people that had five in eighteen months. Some were great, but others were not so hot. One time I witnessed one of my supervisors fondling a little baggie of a brownish-white foreign substance. I would classify this supervisor's style as "jumpy." Although some strides have been made, technologies used can be antiquated. Staffing levels are rarely adequate for projects, resulting in burnout of the people currently on them. Talent Acquisition can not hire sufficiently, nor in advance as needed to staff projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality first, which may not maximize profits and require hiring staff in advance of revenue generation. Evaluate in a few years to see if exceeding customer expectations results in greater profits.

PAREXEL - Waltham

Clinical Manager (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGood training ground for people new to the industry

ConsVery little or no support from managers. Too many layers of management. Very secretive culture - can't find where people work in the organization by department. High staff turnover among entry level employees. Very driven female managers. No work - life culture. Metrics set by managers who have never worked in the field they manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the layers of management. Ask JVR why he throws his used towels on the floor of the men's room. Employees are disposable just like used towels.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Impression

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsCompany has a really good benefit plan. You have the opportunity to work with some very smart and nice people.

ConsWork environment is tense and unrewarding. External candidates tend to be hired rather than promoting from within. Compensation is on the lower end for the industry.

Okay Employer

Senior Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsWorked for PXL for a few years, good opportunity if you come in but its hard to progress and youd get further if you left the job and came back but nothing abnormal compared to other CRO's.

ConsThe work life balance could be improved abit further, and career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your staff!

A wonderful and informative summer experience

Research Associate (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsParexel fosters a very professional environment with a talented and friendly management staff. The career opportunities are immense and most employees are very well compensated for their efforts.

ConsYou have to be prepared to work very hard to excell. Most upper level employees put in well north of 40 hours per week, they are still in the process of expanding and probably need to hire more people to balance everyone's workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and don't be afraid to promote from within,

Stay Away....

Director (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsBenefits (health, dental, vacation (3 weeks), global company, ability to be home based)

ConsDoesn't value employees; bureaucratic; cronyism rampant; Sr. Mgmt thinks they are GOD and that they must be treated that way; to many VPs and no resource; no career advancement unless you are a benefactor of cronyism; Sr. Mgmt out of touch and policies reflect that; Workload expectations very unrealistic; don't care about level of education or skills

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to valuing your employees and quit putting so much resource and value into VPs that do nothing. Promote people b/c they deserve it and have worked hard for it. Develop policies that match the real work that is going on; Quit hiring VPs and instead hire resource that is actually needed for projects.

CRA II

Research Associate (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsNew software applications to learn and use elsewhere
    Medium range salary

ConsPetty behavior on management styles; excessive travel; expected to be working on weekends - non stop

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the MBA types who set the companies metrixs they don't know what they are doing setting unrealistic goals for positions they have never held themselves

OK to work for but no advancement

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Pros-Generous vacation (3 weeks to start)
    -Relatively flexible work schedule.
    -Very nice co-workers. There is some very good talent here.
    -Exposure to new technology (though training is usually hands-on, on-the-fly).

Cons-Difficult to get external training.
    -Raises average about 2-3% for workers. Management is a very different story. Very much a have and have-not situation. It pays to be in the clique.
    -Bonus plan not paid out over the last two years
    -Despite the propaganda, upper management sees lower level people as 'resources' not valued and skilled personnel.

Advice to Senior Management-Reward innovative and hard-working employees in an equitable manner.

Great Company, great benefits, decent salaries

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Prosbenefits
    people
    established company growing very quickly

Consvery large (can be a pro)

Worked for PAREXEL? Contribute to the Community!