PBS Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.7

PBS President, CEO, and Director Paula A. Kerger
Paula A. Kerger

Pros
  • Great benefits and good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• If you're f/t contract, you should do fine (great pay, many great people, and you can easily move on when you've had enough) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Erratic scheduling, little room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• no room for advancement or hire afterward (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work and a great public mission

I have been working at PBS full-time

Pros

Really excellent, talented and intelligent co-workers who all believe in public media and creating a unique not-for-profit space in the modern television landscape. The retirement benefits are quite good and the company believes in a family-friendly workplace. My kids think my coworkers are Curious George and the Cat in the Hat, and they love telling their friends where I work. I've grown a tremendous amount since I started here and would have a hard time being quite as satisfied anywhere else.

Cons

Not many downsides. There are still silos within the organization and even within departments, but we have been working hard to work through them.

intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at PBS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-hands on experience for just about anything media related you want to learn
    - flexible understanding staff
    -modern hip facility
    -credible company

Cons

can't think of any
    - maybe.. very little supervision.. they expect you to be an independent worker, self starter

Telesales

Current Employee - Telesales in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Telesales in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at PBS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Soft cold calls to past due members in order to get them to make donation for continual support. Selling PBS products and concert tickets. Hourly pay and bonuses. Easy to talk to members who share the same passion for PBS.

Cons

Difficult turn over for supervisor in charge. The time frame that I worked there was during the stock market crash and many memebers who were already retired lost savings. Very sad.

Very nice management team.

Eight, Arizona PBS/KAET 8

Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PBS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eight, Arizona PBS is a wonderful company that works to bring the factions of the community together. They provide local news, entertainment, and public outreach at no cost.

Cons

The only con is that PBS relies on public contributions for operating funding. Therefore, if you can, donate to Eight! They rely on you in order to bring the best in community outreach for free to underprivileged youth and adults.

I hope you continue to grow and play an essential part in public broadcasting.

Looking up

I have been working at PBS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong mission-oriented culture. Good finances. Revitalized senior leadership team (finally working together and breaking down silos.)

Cons

It's a non-profit, meaning there are lots of really smart people who are making far less than they could in the commercial world ... and a handful of overly comfortable people who have no idea how hard their lives would be if they were in the for-profit world.

Great company if you want no growth

Current Employee - Corporate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at PBS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good work life balance

Cons

No room for growth. No room for changes due to top level management being "old school". Pay not competitive

Allow your workers to shine. No point in hiring young, new, bright, innovative talent if you would like to comform to the same old things. Allow the monetary success of PBS to flow throughout the company, not just the top.

Great mission

I worked at PBS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best mission in the country. Great content and coworkers makes for a really fun, engaging environment with a lot of personality.

Cons

No room for advancement. If you like your job, you're good, but there's very little internal mobility. Otherwise, it's fine.

The silos the company operates in really need to be reviewed for balance. There's a lot of inequity between departments. People with similar responsibility levels have widely varying titles and compensation.

Frustrating to watch the internal struggles

I worked at PBS

Pros

Collaborative environment, great benefits, good mission

Cons

PBS is struggling to determine their relevancy in the future as broadcast and cable landscape changes-- they seem to be in a "throwing spaghetti on the wall" stage--tying everything and anything without much thought.

Love the environment

I have been working at PBS

Pros

I technically work for an affiliate of PBS (local station). The environment is usually great. People are friendly and helpful. PBS is always helpful and informative with everything.

Cons

It is hard to move up in the company unless you're willing to do a 40 year stint. It is also unusual to get a pay increase at all.

Needs to have more of a focus on employee growth, professionally speaking.

Nice work environment

I have been working at PBS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours, great training, volunteers opportunities, open communication with general manager, great place to grow if you are entry level

Cons

part time hours, no room for advancement if you miss your opportunity it could be years before anything would come up again.

Continue to talk with your employees and open discussion for younger programming