PBS Reviews

Reset
3.5
PBS President, CEO, and Director Paula A. Kerger
Paula A. Kerger

Pros
  • Great benefits and good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• If you're f/t contract, you should do fine (great pay, many great people, and you can easily move on when you've had enough) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement in company (in 5 reviews)

• no room for advancement or hire afterward (in 4 reviews)

1. Great mission; great opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at PBS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is not your grandma's PBS - there are a lot of exciting projects happening at PBS these days, and if you enjoy a fairly independent work environment and find the projects you want to work on, it might be a great fit. Pay is lower than commercial, but higher than some other non-profits. To me, the trade-off has been well worth it. One note about some of the reviews posted here: many seem to be related to individual member stations rather than to PBS, the national organization. PBS HQ is located in Arlington, VA. It does not produce shows directly, so anything referencing another location or show production is related to a local station rather than the umbrella organization.

Cons

Politics come into play sometimes, like at any organization. Some departments are small and there may be limited ability to move within them; however, I've found that HR really wants to keep good people and has helped employees move across departments when they don't have the mobility within their current assignments.

Advice to Management

Silos are slowly being eliminated, but this could move faster. Prioritize improvements to support processes as well. This would make a lot of things much more efficient.

2. Production Assistant

Former Employee - Assistant Producer in Christiansted, VI
    Former Employee - Assistant Producer in Christiansted, VI

I worked at PBS (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment for teamwork and individual growth.

Cons

Working part-time was a con

3. Major politics, favoritism, constant threat of layoffs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at PBS

Pros

It's a great product, one that you can be proud of vs. having to apologize for at parties (e.g., defense contracting, pharma etc). Attractive work environment, good location.

Cons

Frequent layoffs, incompetent management who make bad decisions, wasteful management of public and private funding, and frankly, PBS's model has been antiquated. They simply haven't evolved. It's a sinking ship, sadly.

Advice to Management

Take a Management 101 class... hire good people and get out of their way. Stop lifting your leg on every piece of work to simply justify your existence in the process.

5. Great Benefits, Solid Mission

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at PBS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits, nice co-workers, solid mission

Cons

Senior management politics, president who does not really care about the "masses" (mid-lower level employees), trend of hiring senior management from cable networks has diluted commitment to supporting local PBS stations-- they pay dues to be PBS stations but mgmt doesn't seem to care about them, it's all about the internal here at HQ, glorifying what happens here

6. Marketing and Production Assistant

I worked at PBS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for PBS is awesome in terms of the people. I would work for PBS again if the right opportunity came up because the people are really a family and I loved doing good. It was a wonderful workplace.

Cons

There is not enough opportunity to advance. I spend many years working for PBS and there were very few job openings and there wasn't a clear path to work at another station (I did, but only because I sought it out when I relocated).

Advice to Management

There should be more opportunities for staff to advance if that is what they would like to do. Continue to keep the family feeling of PBS. It is absolutely the best place I have worked in terms of I felt respect and like I mattered as a person. Sadly I have yet to find a new PBS to work for, but someday perhaps. The one I live near now pays so low compared to the last station I worked at in a smaller market it is insulting and undoable (I am not taking a $10-15k pay cut).

7. Long hours not much life outside of work

I have been working at PBS

Pros

You will meet a lot of people. You get to experience a lot of fun community activities.

Cons

You will have no outside of work life. A typical work day is 8:30 am until 10:30 pm for a straight month during busy months.

Advice to Management

Higher more part time to help during busy months.

8. Manager

I worked at PBS

Pros

Good benefits and vacation time.

Cons

There was an ongoing fear of being fired.

9. Brilliant People, Good Learning Experience, but Poor Management/Communication & Limited Growth Potential

I worked at PBS full-time

Pros

The editorial teams (i.e. reporters, editors, producers) and even some of the senior-level producers are absolutely brilliant, good-natured, and amazing to work with. These few people made the job worth it and encouraged my hard work and abilities often. Many of them are brilliant journalists, great delegators, great communicators, and treated me with dignity and respect.

Cons

Some of the on-air senior correspondents (not all) as well as senior producers in management positions that have been with the company for years are very much set in their ways, have poor management skills, and seem to be unconcerned with the growth and development of entry-level employees. They do not conduct timely performance reviews. Additionally, the efficacy of these reviews are seriously hindered by their apparent hesitance or perhaps inability to give clear and concise feedback. As an employee who was determined to succeed, I felt every one of my attempts to improve at my job was stifled by the reality that no one ever was willing to clearly tell me what I was doing right or wrong. Additionally, some correspondents often treated me condescendingly and with meanness. Other employees even suffered the same experiences. What was even more surprising is that despite common knowledge of this apparent lack of courtesy or empathy in management is that these flaws were almost always deferred to and ultimately ignored. This often created a hostile working environment where fear ruled the atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Be more honest about what a particular job entails, both in the job description and the title. Be willing to provide adequate feedback that allows the employee to leave a performance review with actionable takeaways to improve their performance. Do not support a culture of meanness, denigration, and condescension from some senior staff toward lower-level staff. Embrace technology. It streamlines jobs and increases productivity. Incorporate this into company culture. This is possible, even in a company that struggles financially with limited resources.

10. Very good company to work for overall.

I have been working at PBS

Pros

-Great Family Culture -Convenient location outside of the city but still accessible via Metro -Great Benefits, including an automatic 8% retirement contibution

Cons

-Because it is a non-profit, payscale is low -Can feel like there aren't many jobs between entry level and director -Don't always promote from within -No parking

Advice to Management

Promote more from within, pay employees better and they will stay longer and get parking access for the employees

11. Great foot in the door

I worked at PBS

Pros

If you are young, you will have an opportunity to learn a lot, especially if this is your first job.

Cons

Certain departments are favored and the promotions occur regularly in those departments and not in others. Equal pay for equal work is not practiced.

Advice to Management

Look at each employee individually and assess their value.

RSS Feed </> Embed