PC Connection

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy McGrath

Highly educational and profitable, hard to imagine staying for 10+ years as a career.

Portsmouth, NH

I worked at PC Connection full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is great, company bonuses around every corner, the culture is friendly and supportive.

ConsThe workload is intense and as in any sales community you start at the bottom and work your way to the top.

Account Manager

Keene, NH

I have been working at PC Connection full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with and the opportunity to grow your business and build you own success

Consnothing that doesn't exist elsewhere

PC Connection is a pretty good place to work

Government Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at PC Connection

ProsPC Connection and its subsidiaries offer a decent income with a pleasant work environment. There are many layers to the company so there are plenty of opportunities for advancement and new challenges. Rewards from the company and its vendors make PCC positive place to be. The training is a plus as well. The cons below have little effect on the entry level or middle management positions.

ConsSenior management tends to be obsessive about metrics and do not always manage to the strengths of the individual. There is a tendancy at the upper echelon to be very wishy washy about direction and focus. Middle-upper management is averse to change and wields a lot of power in thwarting positive direction changes and planning. There tends to be a lot of political infighting amongst the higher ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a positive direction for growth and stick with it. Changing paths on a regular basis, setting a course and then not having the fortitude to stick with it for the long hall, always falling back on what worked yesterday instead of trying to add to the company's strengths...these weaknesses will drive the rank and file crazy and geatly diminish their respect for you. Treat your people like people, not sheep who can be fed drink tickets at corporate events, given a few meaningless platitudes in a slick video presentation, and then put back in the pen.

Fun place to work, but not for average performers

Marlborough, MA

I worked at PC Connection

ProsFree lunches several times a week, an employee purchase program, great benefits, a decent base salary, you learn a lot about the IT industry.

ConsOften dealing with inter office politics, management can be rigid at times, they don't do much in the way of marketing so you have to market the company yourself to land accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementProgress to catch up to competitors offerings is very slow, expedite the growth of the line card and put a serious focus on increasing your your authorizations.

Great Company to work for if you can stand sitting in a cube and cold calling all day.

I worked at PC Connection

Prosprizes, food, outings, good training program, their is potential to make very good money however need to be there for a long time because beginning pay is not enough to live off of

Consmonitored dials and outgoing talk time instead of total talk time and you're in a cube all day. Accounts of employee's leaving are given to favorites instead of those who deserve them sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of outgoing talk time look at total talk time, spread accounts more than just one team when people leave the company

Great place to build a resume, then find better money elsewhere.

I have been working at PC Connection

ProsGreat sales team
Spiffs
Getting to play flag football on the field at Gillette was a once in a life experience!

ConsBase pay
Painfully boring mandatory vendor trainings

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us more! When the company crushes it, take better care of us.

It is a fair company that requires that its employees work hard.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PC Connection

ProsGood software/hardware that allows for effect job productivity
Great community of people
Great benefits
Onsite dry cleaning and food services

ConsYou are only as good as what success you have coming down the pipe - forget what you did yesterday!
The middle management ranges in ability from great to horrible

Advice to Senior Managementtake the time to learn about those that have been there a long time. 10+ years. Those people have great insight and could grow the company in unexpected ways.

Training Specialist.

Training Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at PC Connection

ProsGreat coworkers,systems are technologically advanced, and great support from management. Company supports and promotes training for sales staff. Professional at all times.

ConsThe workspace cubes were too small. There isn't many downsides of working at PC Connection. I would say the downside for me is that I am not working there anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the training staff was removed during the layoffs PC Connection had back in 2009. Recently a training specialist position has been posted. It would of been nice to receive feedback on why I was not called back.

Don't waste your time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PC Connection

ProsThe potential to make decent money is there but it's a slow and steady process and they usually dont keep you around long enough to hit that potential.

Consunrealistic goals considering the current economic state, which would continuously go up even if you dont hit your numbers the previous month. There is not enough praise for employees that really work hard and the pay is awful.

Advice to Senior Managementthe compensation really needs improving for the people that actually bring in money for this company and demoting people because your goal structure is what needs work is the fastest way to loose great employees.

Good place

I have been working at PC Connection

ProsThis company has a work hard and play have mentality. Any time I have needed time off they are flexible as long as you are meeting retirements.

ConsIn the beginning you can expect long hours, and lots of cold calling. Although you are calling folks that will most likely need your service and products.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a few different career paths to get to management, you can start as an AM go to sales manager, then senior sales manager, and the dir so on and so forth.

Worked for PC Connection? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PC Connection reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PC Connection CEO Timothy McGrath. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by PC Connection employees.