PC World Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
Updated August 31, 2014
2.8

Sebastian James

As a contractor I had the ability to make a little or a lot of money, and I could work whenever I wanted. Awesome!

Former Employee - Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PC World as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Very nice people. Better pay than most writing jobs. The leadership has experience, and they know a lot of people that can help you get additional contract jobs.

Cons

Nothing significant really. Sometimes it was difficult to meet a strict and important deadline for a column, but the quality pay was worth it in the end!

I have no advice to management. I am and was rather satisfied with the ability to manage work and life as a contractor. They couldn't do too much to improve the quality of work.

Boring and uniformative.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The money was quite good, some of my colleagues were lovely people and it should have been an enjoyable experience where I learnt quite a few new things about technology.

Cons

I was constantly undermined as a teenage woman, I had no beneficial training (part of my 'training' involved trying not to say the word 'unfortunately', which I personally see as a pointless exercise, considering we were given NO product training whatsoever), and I was often mocked or ignored as the youngest member of staff, and told my opinions were wrong on several occasions. Not only this but I had one customer in particular who said they did not want to be served by me because I was female, and when I brought this to my manager nothing was said or done about it. Not only this, but the company have (in my opinion) a terrible waste procedure, where whole sheets of A4 paper were wasted in order to print one small price tag and so on. I left because of these reasons and more.

I advise a refreshment of policies, where people are reminded of their rights in work and as a human - I was a hard-worker and tried my best to be diligent, and in my current job which I have had for over a year, I have been praised for my good work ethic, and likewise in previous positions, and therefore I know I am not at fault for not enjoying this role. I would also like to add that a fellow colleague suffering with depression was not treated with the respect they deserved at work, subsequently terminating their contract because of this.

Great company with little chance of progression as Currys and PC World fight to exist in the same shop. Too many KPI's

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with very few competitors in the market now comet has gone. Stable business plan with growth potential after years of worry

Cons

Lessen the KPI's and focus on delivering great service to customer

Disappointing, decisions were made by senior management with no first hand experience in store.

Former Employee - Business Account Developer in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Account Developer in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

keep relatively up to date with technology, learn a reasonable amount about retail. i learnt alot about business during my time as a business advisor - lots of overtime.

Nice colleagues.

Cons

The work and life balance is poor. To progress up the ranks takes far to long, despite being a colleague who could do everything in store from sales to customer service, warehouse etc.... I only got a remotely significant pay rise £0.30 per hour extra 2 weeks before I left after 6 years... store management seem to have no control over payrole in there own store.
    The way to get paid was to complete training and go to workshops but the workshops were few and far between and very hard to get a place on.

Pressure - of course there is pressure on sales staff, it retail, however the quantity of targets is just silly and far to much to think about when your having a conversation with a customer. colleagues will give stuff away just to hit random targets, the amount of different ways stores and colleagues would play the numbers just so they don't get in trouble with senior management.

For example store hits targets but has low margin, this store and manager are praised for making less money.

Store exceeds its margin and sales target but doesn't hit all its figures - there told its unacceptable.

It gets to the point where most colleagues will just send customers to other stores even though they have stock, just to avoid a bad sale. - this happens a lot.

Targets are important as you know but keep it simple, Margin and Cash Sales - you can't fabricate those kind of figures this way you can see which stores are making you money, this will also stop sales colleagues sending customers to other stores if they just want "a box".

Senior management should spend at least a few days each year in store as either sales or customer service just to understand how things work and more often don't work.

Arrange more social events for the staff or encourage store management to do so, happy colleagues means happier custumers and a more productive store.

Stressful

Former Employee - General Manager in Harlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

seeing the new technology come in, getting real bargain deals on clearance stock, making friends.

Cons

Rude and ignorant customers, lazy student staff only there for the beer money, salaried for 39 hours but expected to work about 50 hours with no overtime "because you are management", undue pressure from area managers to meet targets on redundant kpi`s, office politics, no transparency on feedback UP the chain.

If this company is to succeed then it needs to change it`s whole approach to customer service and staff training.

Okay

Former Employee - Salesman in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Salesman in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at PC World part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was an okay job if you got your head down and did the work without getting into the politics.

Cons

Managers are worst gossips and for politics, overpromising roles to multiple employees

look at your managers closely

It's ok if you get a good store..

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Lincoln, England (UK)

I worked at PC World part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, great technology to work with, good training programs and the opportunity to do extra specific courses with different brands. The company also often run competitions, one of which I won once, which was a nice perk!

Cons

Some stores are very old and dull-looking, which isn't a great environment for customers. Progress is very slow with regards to promotions. The job is seen as the be all and end all - life can wait.

Promotion opportunities need to be more present in the workplace to give employees something to aspire to - otherwise it can seem like a dead-end job.

Terrible working environment, sales pressured, minimum wage dead end job dressed as a fancy "technology role".

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at PC World part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None whatsoever. A 10% staff discount is offered, but to be frank it is pretty pathetic. My only pro? looking forward to leaving the store after glancing my watch upon closing time.

Cons

If you value your self worth and dignity as a human being I implore you NOT to ever consider working here as a sales assistant. No matter how appealing the idea may be that you could work in a technological environment, forget it. However they try to dress it to you with all the bells and whistles, it is a bottom of the ladder gutter minimum wage retail job, which holds no value nor respect in the public domain - and in the current job climate isn't sustainable to live on.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to calculate that PC World is on the ropes in the retail environment. Just look at the public customer service reviews on the company on sites such as trust pilot. Dissatisfaction is rife, the level of so called service is appalling, and it all relates back to the working situation and the company as a whole. Sell.sell sell sell some more. Continual pressure, that is unrelenting and unsympathetic.

Now, selling in normal circumstances is fine, if you are a good communicator, possess an effervescent personality and actually listen to customers you will find it pretty easy.It's all the bull add on services that you have to flog that becomes the real issue.

Given an average laptop for example, you have to attach nonsensical anti-virus, their own cloud service and office at a wondrous rip off cumulative price of approximately 125 quid on top of the value of the machine!

But that's not the end of it,oh no. While you're developing your sales patter, you have to be mindful and be somewhat mentally distracted knowing you have to scratch out more on top in order to appease the superiors. Their crappy "set-up" service, which involves scratching off download cards and going to websites putting the above aforementioned software package on, a job a monkey could do but PC World will charge 35 quid for the privilege.
    Then there's 'showhow' for the truly inept, a patronising demonstration for the princely sum of 20 pounds. And, just to try and make it seem somewhat worthwhile to the customer in forking out nigh on 165 quid on top of what they intended to pay, a "recovery media" USB drive is supplied with windows backed up in case you fluff things up.
    Sold as a 'specialist service' designed to blindside the average consumer in to convincing them a technical service is being applied for piece of mind, in essence it is another simple monkey exercise that can be done at home with windows built in recovery utility. Yes people, you are paying PC World to pop a cheap USB flash drive and pressing a few clicks on the laptop.

This diatribe of piffle and nonsense has to be shoe-horned into every attempted sale, with each sales assistant often employing their own deceptive techniques and scare tactics to ensure the customer walks away with one of their rip off packages. Such misselling was investigated in many Watchdog and Which investigations that further highlights the deceptive tactics PC World introduce to right Royally rip you off.

Oh but that's not the end. The final, insulting and grandiose shameful attempt to claw more money from you is the "whatever happens" insurance policy...sorry I mean 'care plan'. You can't call it an insurance policy otherwise It makes the company liable for all other legislation and legal requirements. Therefore provides them the right to bull customers, fob them off and slither out of anything that goes wrong. It can be a horrendously expensive add on, squeezed via direct debit or a rip off lump sum, anything to the tune of 150 pounds a year. Not worth the paper its written on.

So as you can see, the job for a normal sales assistant is horrid.Each and every time you speak to a customer and give them advice, you have an unnerving uncomfortable feeling inside you will soon have to ream off all the above rubbish to appease management you're following the line. Reason being? The hardware itself makes PC World next to no profit, so the rip off add-ons are the source of their income.

All the more worse knowing that everything they sell as a 'service' is created to confuse and distract the uninitiated and uninformed, convincing them that it is essential and a required supportive upgrade- designed to confuse consumers such as the elderly, women and families with nonsensical jargon. Being very computer literate and a current Product Design student, I felt this cold sense of guilt in lying in order to achieve my targets.

Credit agreements, floods of paper work and print outs, a decrepit old tired intranet till system on 10 year old slow computer terminals ( how ironic!) A shoddy 'B2B' service, a rip off hire purchase scheme on computers( that deserves its own write up), everything is bamboozling and makes your life harder. All do do, learn and repeat in parrot fashion to every customer.

On top of this, despite what the public may think, there is no commission system at work here for justification of such forceful sales tactics. Just a pathetic, lowly, insulting minimum wage salary. Due to this, staff turnover is high, most employees are in their 20s and students, as no mature worker could possibly survive on meager earnings without government assistance and tax reliefs.And those that do, struggle.

Breaks are terrible and only offered at 30 mins for every 5/6 hours worked, which are diligently monitored by management to the minute.A 9 hour day only allows for a 45 minute lunch.

Management are inept, lazy, feckless and dismissive of customer complaints and returns. They stand around, do next to nothing each day bar firing off end of day reports and emails to the area managers and leave all the delegation and dirty work to be done by their 'team leaders'.

Due to all this, staff morale is in the pits, the prevailing atmosphere is of utter despondency and despair. Progression is non existent, and in order to even climb the slimy slippery ladder you have to be a complete sycophant to achieve a tiny increase in wage to go on 'training schemes' to raise the pay grade. Which takes years. I know of at least one individual who was still a sales assistant after 9 years working there!

Working at PC World is a prison sentence of a job. I'm glad I'm out and dont have to suffer any longer. If I were you, reading this - I would say this - better yourself, go in a trade, apprenticeship, university, give yourself ambitions and targets and dont put your career in the hands of retail. You will then simply use this job as I have as a means to an end to pay the short term bills and achieve more than you could ever hope to in such an environment as this!

Pay the staff better or re-introduce a proper commission system in order to provide real live incentivised sales. No rubbish add on sales and reduced emphasis on such products. Cater to the hobbyist and specialised computer market rather than blanket whitewashing of general consumers.

Fantastic colleagues but high expectations and little pay

Former Employee - Customer Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor

I worked at PC World part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic colleagues and some unique opportunities (for retail). Generally busy which can make the days fly-by.

Cons

Poor pay compared to the expectations - you can't expect someone to sell (it's a sales job!), hit targets etc if you pay them less than any supermarket would. Expect "bonus schemes" with multiple get outs to avoid paying out which can lead to a feeling of resentment on the shop floor.

A lot of people join but don't enjoy it - they find the sales aspect hard (and because of this, have poor performance) and it makes their day very difficult. I've seen a *lot* of people in this situation - my advice would be to leave! It's better for both them - and the company. It's difficult to manage out a poor employee and so most stores have a lot of "dead wood" which can lead to poor customer experiences.

The bigger the store, the better the experience

Current Employee - Sales Colleague
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague

I have been working at PC World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to see new tech

Cons

Too many kpi's and bickering between stores. Management can be quite numbers orientated rather than people orientated. No set structure to shift patterns and if request days off then seen as less available. Bonus scheme is just pants. All too much just for basic salary or 10p above minimum wage

PC World Photos

Knowhow Technican Area @ PCW Tottenham Court Road
PC World, Hove (Photo thanks to Geograph user Paul Gillet, Some Rights Reserved)
PC World (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo