PC World Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
42 reviews filtered by
2.7
Sebastian James

1. As a contractor I had the ability to make a little or a lot of money, and I could work whenever I wanted. Awesome!

Former Contractor - Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Writer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PC World as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Very nice people. Better pay than most writing jobs. The leadership has experience, and they know a lot of people that can help you get additional contract jobs.

Cons

Nothing significant really. Sometimes it was difficult to meet a strict and important deadline for a column, but the quality pay was worth it in the end!

I have no advice to management. I am and was rather satisfied with the ability to manage work and life as a contractor. They couldn't do too much to improve the quality of work.

2. Sales Colleague

Former Contractor - Sales Colleague in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Colleague in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at PC World as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are very supportive, you always get access to the latest technology, and hours are very flexible. Getting experience in selling directly to businesses is also fun, and a good CV builder.

Cons

Considering it is a technology company, the till computers are embarrassingly slow and unresponsive.
    Sales roles focus on selling add-ons (Anti Virus, Cloud, Care Plan and Setups), and there is pressure to deliver good results, but NO COMMISSION.
    Bonuses are based on so many various Customer Satisfaction targets that they are virtually unattainable.
    Career progression from the sales floor is incredibly slow, even if you have good sales figures.

Invest in an up-to-date till/computer system, because it is currently embarrassingly slow for staff.
    Focus more on whether sales colleagues are meeting margin targets, rather than looking at KPIs.
    Make the bonus system more transparent for staff.

3. All over the place.

Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you like a fast paced retail environment dealing with Customers and selling the latest techy products and all the accessories then you'll love it!

Cons

Not much structure. Often pressured into selling products. Unrealistic KPI's. Inconsistent training. Only real way to learn is to try on your own, mess up and hope someone spots it. Policies in place mean difficult conversations with customers. If your good then your expected to do everything, even if this task is way above your pay grade!. (As a customer service advisor i have had to run the store for weeks at a time, commit the payroll, generate rotas and even sacked someone before).
    More in the last 5 years there have been experiences where if you sell a 1 or 2 laptops with no extras (although this may just a be a blip in your day) you end up being told not to sell anything else that may affect figures that day and shoved on a till or smaller areas.

Allow time for new starters to learn. I appreciate you may have customers waiting but all you are going to do is give those waiting customers an even worse service if the advisor doesn't know what they are doing.
    Also don't be afraid to jump on a till once in a while! They employees don't have 8 arms. We can only do so many things at once.

5. Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World

Pros

Hours busy good training new product

Cons

Long Hours short staffed high sickness

Improve team work

6. Alright

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Somerset West (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Somerset West (South Africa)

I have been working at PC World part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you put the work in you'll get as much hours as you want. Never really had a bad Store Manager

Cons

Pay isn't in line with some other retailers. Lots of targets but little to no rewards for meeting them

Reward colleagues for working hard and exceeding their targets. Time and a half on bank holidays also!

7. RUDE, Selfish management, awful pay, high demands,questionable practices

Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist
    Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist

I have been working at PC World

Pros

discounts on end of line products, a job suitable to my skill set

Cons

Under payed, I am a knowhow colleague, i can do every role in the store from warehouse, to sales, to high skilled repairs, yet i am payed less than the 17 year old girl on the till because she has completed some BS training.
    minimum wage btw (£6.50).... THE PERSON WHO CAN FIX ANYTHING and deals with ...s itty customers gets £6.5hr
    The till worker at tescos gets £8.70
    6 years and you may make team leader

stop walking around with a clipboard, passing off every job to someone else so "you can help a customer ifthey need it".... like the one you just passed off....

8. Worst experience ever

I worked at PC World

Pros

10percent discount on products and services, lowest in the industry can't think of any positive but had to fill this section of the review .

Cons

Management treat colleagues like donkeys means you do the hardwork and they get all the benefits . There is no reward for your hard work and if you want a career growth please dont go there .Dixon retail doesn't even know what career growth is . They normally hire illtrained staff with no product knowledge and pay them pennies , rather then retaining experienced and knowledgeable staff ,feel sorry for customers .
    There is a myth that sales staff gets commission by selling add-ons on the laptop and other products . No sir, that's not the case . If you are not good at selling these add-ons you won't be able to keep your job so poor employees just pushing these add-ons just to keep their jobs and no wonder why they have done well in this recession . They are best in exploiting employees .
    Similarly, there are nearly 20 kpi which sales staff have to maintain and meet .failure to do that . You won't get any support rather store manager will see you the next day if not the last hour on the day .
    Yes dixon retail bringing life to technology but they are taking life out of sale staff . They hire you on minimum wage and try to keep you there for as long as possible and if you ask for it no matter how good you are . The pay rise conversation always ends up bitter .
    Oh have you seen those poor souls working on Sunday.and bank holidays dont get any extra pay anymore under new contracts . Old staff do get time and half on bank holiday nonetheless. There is catch tho if you are old staff and want to change your store location . You will be hired as a new staff thus loose your bank holiday extra pay .
    Finally . I wish I cloud write some thing positive about a company where I spend nearly a decade .but I couldn't find anything . However I did meet some wonderful people who are still my best mate . Thanks God I am out of that jail and praying for my mate to get free as soon as possible . One might wonder why I stayed that long .well I was a international student and job market is rough in The UK and since I was computer engineering I found is easy to survive due to my knowledge and sale skills . But guess what I never get promoted even tho I had more product and business knowledge than management .

Please , please ,please listen to your sales staff , the colleague survey is just a joke . Most of the time floor manager are filling it and if they are not putting the data in they make sure you do what they want . There should be other way to judging employee satisfaction.
    There should be proper reward structure especially for minimum paid staff . don't get rich at the expense of poor staff .
    And retain your experienced and knowledgeable staff by giving them promotion and pay rise .
     Reduce Kpi and make realistic targets for sale colleagues .

9. hate it

Current Employee - Business Account Developer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Account Developer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

product discounts, keep up to date with technology

Cons

bad shifts, poor pay, confusing bonus system

help out rather than standing with clip boards

10. Boring and uniformative.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The money was quite good, some of my colleagues were lovely people and it should have been an enjoyable experience where I learnt quite a few new things about technology.

Cons

I was constantly undermined as a teenage woman, I had no beneficial training (part of my 'training' involved trying not to say the word 'unfortunately', which I personally see as a pointless exercise, considering we were given NO product training whatsoever), and I was often mocked or ignored as the youngest member of staff, and told my opinions were wrong on several occasions. Not only this but I had one customer in particular who said they did not want to be served by me because I was female, and when I brought this to my manager nothing was said or done about it. Not only this, but the company have (in my opinion) a terrible waste procedure, where whole sheets of A4 paper were wasted in order to print one small price tag and so on. I left because of these reasons and more.

I advise a refreshment of policies, where people are reminded of their rights in work and as a human - I was a hard-worker and tried my best to be diligent, and in my current job which I have had for over a year, I have been praised for my good work ethic, and likewise in previous positions, and therefore I know I am not at fault for not enjoying this role. I would also like to add that a fellow colleague suffering with depression was not treated with the respect they deserved at work, subsequently terminating their contract because of this.

11. Great company with little chance of progression as Currys and PC World fight to exist in the same shop. Too many KPI's

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with very few competitors in the market now comet has gone. Stable business plan with growth potential after years of worry

Cons

Lessen the KPI's and focus on delivering great service to customer

PC World Photos

Knowhow Technican Area @ PCW Tottenham Court Road
PC World, Hove (Photo thanks to Geograph user Paul Gillet, Some Rights Reserved)
PC World (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo