PC World Reviews

2.7
Sebastian James

1. good

I worked at PC World

Pros

good hours was able to fit other things around

Cons

not good pay, could be better

2. Sales advisor

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at PC World (More than a year)

Pros

can be quiet, time goes fast.

Cons

competitive KPI's with other stores in the region

3. business advisor

Former Employee - Business Advisor in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Advisor in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at PC World

Pros

great people to work with excluding management

Cons

massive management ego's,15 different KPI's to hit every day,more concerned with belittling staff than working together as a team, management refuse to admit when they are wrong,pressuring selling or risk losing your job,slow and very out of date systems and hardware. using low discounts targets just so the numbers look good, low pay unless your a manager, not allowed to have family life. bullying is rife in this company if you don't jump for them then expect to be bullied
     - a team leader kicking a chair on the floor as their was no staff was available to serve as team leader could not be bothered to help a customer.

Advice to Management

people training course would help,better pay for the staff members that make the money for the company better discount or offers,lower targets take the pressure away.people have feeling the sales advisors are not robots

5. PC World

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a secure job, and you get to help customers find the best technology solution and create offers that allow them to save lots of money when they bundle all the software together. If you work together as a team, and you can lead that team, then you will get on great.

Cons

If you are technophobic or don't like hard graft or talking to people then I wouldn't apply if I were you. Can be hard to stay positive when other staff are constantly negative. Takes too long to progress within the company without having to move.

Advice to Management

The problems that arise are down to the bonus incentive, it needs to be paid monthly, not every quarter.

6. PC World - It's better than being on benefits... Only just though

I worked at PC World full-time

Pros

If you put a lot of work and effort in, you will get more hours.

There is a good progression system, you just need to be 'seen' as being amazing in the eyes of your management, if you're not then you will have a battle.

You can get onto a lot of other tech company benefits, like Apple, Samsung, etc.

Cons

If you apply for an 4, 6, 8 hour per week vacancy, you will be expected to work 39 hours per week, but holiday/base pay will be the contracted hours and not the extra. According to my previous management team it is company policy not to give you full time contracts, even if you become employed in a role that requires you to be on a full-time contract. If you're in this position then contact HR who will immediately deal with the issue, but the problem is management tend to treat you worse than others.

Management believe they are above everything and that employees are always to blame, which creates a poisonous atmosphere where many members of staff either go off sick with depression or leave the company.

The pay and hours are unbearable. You have to dedicate everything to the job and if you have time off, you'll be expected to come into work (for free) to do things like change your section in the store (for example moving around laptops or general section maintenance).

If you are busy doing another job or are merchandising a section and you cannot leave the area as stock not secure, there is a tendency for management or team leaders who are available to get you to serve customers. It is as if the management and team leaders believe their job is not to serve, but to rule.

Advice to Management

Need to work with their employees and have some humility to accept you are part of the problems in your store.

Avoid being engulfed in cliques as much as possible.

Stand up for your store if you are being hassled by your bosses.

7. All over the place.

Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like a fast paced retail environment dealing with Customers and selling the latest techy products and all the accessories then you'll love it!

Cons

Not much structure. Often pressured into selling products. Unrealistic KPI's. Inconsistent training. Only real way to learn is to try on your own, mess up and hope someone spots it. Policies in place mean difficult conversations with customers. If your good then your expected to do everything, even if this task is way above your pay grade!. (As a customer service advisor i have had to run the store for weeks at a time, commit the payroll, generate rotas and even sacked someone before).
    More in the last 5 years there have been experiences where if you sell a 1 or 2 laptops with no extras (although this may just a be a blip in your day) you end up being told not to sell anything else that may affect figures that day and shoved on a till or smaller areas.

Advice to Management

Allow time for new starters to learn. I appreciate you may have customers waiting but all you are going to do is give those waiting customers an even worse service if the advisor doesn't know what they are doing.
    Also don't be afraid to jump on a till once in a while! They employees don't have 8 arms. We can only do so many things at once.

8. Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World

Pros

Hours busy good training new product

Cons

Long Hours short staffed high sickness

Advice to Management

Improve team work

9. Alright

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Somerset West (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Somerset West (South Africa)

I have been working at PC World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you put the work in you'll get as much hours as you want. Never really had a bad Store Manager

Cons

Pay isn't in line with some other retailers. Lots of targets but little to no rewards for meeting them

Advice to Management

Reward colleagues for working hard and exceeding their targets. Time and a half on bank holidays also!

RUDE, Selfish management, awful pay, high demands,questionable practices

Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist
    Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist

I have been working at PC World

Pros

discounts on end of line products, a job suitable to my skill set

Cons

Under payed, I am a knowhow colleague, i can do every role in the store from warehouse, to sales, to high skilled repairs, yet i am payed less than the 17 year old girl on the till because she has completed some BS training.
    minimum wage btw (£6.50).... THE PERSON WHO CAN FIX ANYTHING and deals with ...s itty customers gets £6.5hr
    The till worker at tescos gets £8.70
    6 years and you may make team leader

Advice to Management

stop walking around with a clipboard, passing off every job to someone else so "you can help a customer ifthey need it".... like the one you just passed off....

11. Worst experience ever

I worked at PC World

Pros

10percent discount on products and services, lowest in the industry can't think of any positive but had to fill this section of the review .

Cons

Management treat colleagues like donkeys means you do the hardwork and they get all the benefits . There is no reward for your hard work and if you want a career growth please dont go there .Dixon retail doesn't even know what career growth is . They normally hire illtrained staff with no product knowledge and pay them pennies , rather then retaining experienced and knowledgeable staff ,feel sorry for customers .
    There is a myth that sales staff gets commission by selling add-ons on the laptop and other products . No sir, that's not the case . If you are not good at selling these add-ons you won't be able to keep your job so poor employees just pushing these add-ons just to keep their jobs and no wonder why they have done well in this recession . They are best in exploiting employees .
    Similarly, there are nearly 20 kpi which sales staff have to maintain and meet .failure to do that . You won't get any support rather store manager will see you the next day if not the last hour on the day .
    Yes dixon retail bringing life to technology but they are taking life out of sale staff . They hire you on minimum wage and try to keep you there for as long as possible and if you ask for it no matter how good you are . The pay rise conversation always ends up bitter .
    Oh have you seen those poor souls working on Sunday.and bank holidays dont get any extra pay anymore under new contracts . Old staff do get time and half on bank holiday nonetheless. There is catch tho if you are old staff and want to change your store location . You will be hired as a new staff thus loose your bank holiday extra pay .
    Finally . I wish I cloud write some thing positive about a company where I spend nearly a decade .but I couldn't find anything . However I did meet some wonderful people who are still my best mate . Thanks God I am out of that jail and praying for my mate to get free as soon as possible . One might wonder why I stayed that long .well I was a international student and job market is rough in The UK and since I was computer engineering I found is easy to survive due to my knowledge and sale skills . But guess what I never get promoted even tho I had more product and business knowledge than management .

Advice to Management

Please , please ,please listen to your sales staff , the colleague survey is just a joke . Most of the time floor manager are filling it and if they are not putting the data in they make sure you do what they want . There should be other way to judging employee satisfaction.
    There should be proper reward structure especially for minimum paid staff . don't get rich at the expense of poor staff .
    And retain your experienced and knowledgeable staff by giving them promotion and pay rise .
     Reduce Kpi and make realistic targets for sale colleagues .

RSS Feed </> Embed