PC World Reviews

Reset
2.6
Sebastian James

1. Sales advisor

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at PC World (More than a year)

Pros

can be quiet, time goes fast.

Cons

competitive KPI's with other stores in the region

2. PC World

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a secure job, and you get to help customers find the best technology solution and create offers that allow them to save lots of money when they bundle all the software together. If you work together as a team, and you can lead that team, then you will get on great.

Cons

If you are technophobic or don't like hard graft or talking to people then I wouldn't apply if I were you. Can be hard to stay positive when other staff are constantly negative. Takes too long to progress within the company without having to move.

Advice to Management

The problems that arise are down to the bonus incentive, it needs to be paid monthly, not every quarter.

3. PC World - It's better than being on benefits... Only just though

I worked at PC World full-time

Pros

If you put a lot of work and effort in, you will get more hours.

There is a good progression system, you just need to be 'seen' as being amazing in the eyes of your management, if you're not then you will have a battle.

You can get onto a lot of other tech company benefits, like Apple, Samsung, etc.

Cons

If you apply for an 4, 6, 8 hour per week vacancy, you will be expected to work 39 hours per week, but holiday/base pay will be the contracted hours and not the extra. According to my previous management team it is company policy not to give you full time contracts, even if you become employed in a role that requires you to be on a full-time contract. If you're in this position then contact HR who will immediately deal with the issue, but the problem is management tend to treat you worse than others.

Management believe they are above everything and that employees are always to blame, which creates a poisonous atmosphere where many members of staff either go off sick with depression or leave the company.

The pay and hours are unbearable. You have to dedicate everything to the job and if you have time off, you'll be expected to come into work (for free) to do things like change your section in the store (for example moving around laptops or general section maintenance).

If you are busy doing another job or are merchandising a section and you cannot leave the area as stock not secure, there is a tendency for management or team leaders who are available to get you to serve customers. It is as if the management and team leaders believe their job is not to serve, but to rule.

Advice to Management

Need to work with their employees and have some humility to accept you are part of the problems in your store.

Avoid being engulfed in cliques as much as possible.

Stand up for your store if you are being hassled by your bosses.

5. Sales Colleague

Former Contractor - Sales Colleague in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Colleague in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at PC World as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are very supportive, you always get access to the latest technology, and hours are very flexible. Getting experience in selling directly to businesses is also fun, and a good CV builder.

Cons

Considering it is a technology company, the till computers are embarrassingly slow and unresponsive.
    Sales roles focus on selling add-ons (Anti Virus, Cloud, Care Plan and Setups), and there is pressure to deliver good results, but NO COMMISSION.
    Bonuses are based on so many various Customer Satisfaction targets that they are virtually unattainable.
    Career progression from the sales floor is incredibly slow, even if you have good sales figures.

Advice to Management

Invest in an up-to-date till/computer system, because it is currently embarrassingly slow for staff.
    Focus more on whether sales colleagues are meeting margin targets, rather than looking at KPIs.
    Make the bonus system more transparent for staff.

6. All over the place.

Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like a fast paced retail environment dealing with Customers and selling the latest techy products and all the accessories then you'll love it!

Cons

Not much structure. Often pressured into selling products. Unrealistic KPI's. Inconsistent training. Only real way to learn is to try on your own, mess up and hope someone spots it. Policies in place mean difficult conversations with customers. If your good then your expected to do everything, even if this task is way above your pay grade!. (As a customer service advisor i have had to run the store for weeks at a time, commit the payroll, generate rotas and even sacked someone before).
    More in the last 5 years there have been experiences where if you sell a 1 or 2 laptops with no extras (although this may just a be a blip in your day) you end up being told not to sell anything else that may affect figures that day and shoved on a till or smaller areas.

Advice to Management

Allow time for new starters to learn. I appreciate you may have customers waiting but all you are going to do is give those waiting customers an even worse service if the advisor doesn't know what they are doing.
    Also don't be afraid to jump on a till once in a while! They employees don't have 8 arms. We can only do so many things at once.

7. Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World

Pros

Hours busy good training new product

Cons

Long Hours short staffed high sickness

Advice to Management

Improve team work

8. RUDE, Selfish management, awful pay, high demands,questionable practices

Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist
    Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist

I have been working at PC World

Pros

discounts on end of line products, a job suitable to my skill set

Cons

Under payed, I am a knowhow colleague, i can do every role in the store from warehouse, to sales, to high skilled repairs, yet i am payed less than the 17 year old girl on the till because she has completed some BS training.
    minimum wage btw (£6.50).... THE PERSON WHO CAN FIX ANYTHING and deals with ...s itty customers gets £6.5hr
    The till worker at tescos gets £8.70
    6 years and you may make team leader

Advice to Management

stop walking around with a clipboard, passing off every job to someone else so "you can help a customer ifthey need it".... like the one you just passed off....

9. hate it

Current Employee - Business Account Developer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Account Developer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

product discounts, keep up to date with technology

Cons

bad shifts, poor pay, confusing bonus system

Advice to Management

help out rather than standing with clip boards

10. Boring and uniformative.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was quite good, some of my colleagues were lovely people and it should have been an enjoyable experience where I learnt quite a few new things about technology.

Cons

I was constantly undermined as a teenage woman, I had no beneficial training (part of my 'training' involved trying not to say the word 'unfortunately', which I personally see as a pointless exercise, considering we were given NO product training whatsoever), and I was often mocked or ignored as the youngest member of staff, and told my opinions were wrong on several occasions. Not only this but I had one customer in particular who said they did not want to be served by me because I was female, and when I brought this to my manager nothing was said or done about it. Not only this, but the company have (in my opinion) a terrible waste procedure, where whole sheets of A4 paper were wasted in order to print one small price tag and so on. I left because of these reasons and more.

Advice to Management

I advise a refreshment of policies, where people are reminded of their rights in work and as a human - I was a hard-worker and tried my best to be diligent, and in my current job which I have had for over a year, I have been praised for my good work ethic, and likewise in previous positions, and therefore I know I am not at fault for not enjoying this role. I would also like to add that a fellow colleague suffering with depression was not treated with the respect they deserved at work, subsequently terminating their contract because of this.

11. Great company with little chance of progression as Currys and PC World fight to exist in the same shop. Too many KPI's

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with very few competitors in the market now comet has gone. Stable business plan with growth potential after years of worry

Cons

Advice to Management

Lessen the KPI's and focus on delivering great service to customer

RSS Feed </> Embed