PC World Reviews

• United Kingdom
2.5
Sebastian James

1. All over the place.

Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow Customer Advisor in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you like a fast paced retail environment dealing with Customers and selling the latest techy products and all the accessories then you'll love it!

Cons

Not much structure. Often pressured into selling products. Unrealistic KPI's. Inconsistent training. Only real way to learn is to try on your own, mess up and hope someone spots it. Policies in place mean difficult conversations with customers. If your good then your expected to do everything, even if this task is way above your pay grade!. (As a customer service advisor i have had to run the store for weeks at a time, commit the payroll, generate rotas and even sacked someone before).
    More in the last 5 years there have been experiences where if you sell a 1 or 2 laptops with no extras (although this may just a be a blip in your day) you end up being told not to sell anything else that may affect figures that day and shoved on a till or smaller areas.

Allow time for new starters to learn. I appreciate you may have customers waiting but all you are going to do is give those waiting customers an even worse service if the advisor doesn't know what they are doing.
    Also don't be afraid to jump on a till once in a while! They employees don't have 8 arms. We can only do so many things at once.

2. Sales Colleague

Former Contractor - Sales Colleague in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Colleague in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at PC World as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are very supportive, you always get access to the latest technology, and hours are very flexible. Getting experience in selling directly to businesses is also fun, and a good CV builder.

Cons

Considering it is a technology company, the till computers are embarrassingly slow and unresponsive.
    Sales roles focus on selling add-ons (Anti Virus, Cloud, Care Plan and Setups), and there is pressure to deliver good results, but NO COMMISSION.
    Bonuses are based on so many various Customer Satisfaction targets that they are virtually unattainable.
    Career progression from the sales floor is incredibly slow, even if you have good sales figures.

Invest in an up-to-date till/computer system, because it is currently embarrassingly slow for staff.
    Focus more on whether sales colleagues are meeting margin targets, rather than looking at KPIs.
    Make the bonus system more transparent for staff.

3. Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World

Pros

Hours busy good training new product

Cons

Long Hours short staffed high sickness

Improve team work

5. RUDE, Selfish management, awful pay, high demands,questionable practices

Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist
    Current Employee - Knowhow Specialist

I have been working at PC World

Pros

discounts on end of line products, a job suitable to my skill set

Cons

Under payed, I am a knowhow colleague, i can do every role in the store from warehouse, to sales, to high skilled repairs, yet i am payed less than the 17 year old girl on the till because she has completed some BS training.
    minimum wage btw (£6.50).... THE PERSON WHO CAN FIX ANYTHING and deals with ...s itty customers gets £6.5hr
    The till worker at tescos gets £8.70
    6 years and you may make team leader

stop walking around with a clipboard, passing off every job to someone else so "you can help a customer ifthey need it".... like the one you just passed off....

6. hate it

Current Employee - Business Account Developer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Account Developer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

product discounts, keep up to date with technology

Cons

bad shifts, poor pay, confusing bonus system

help out rather than standing with clip boards

7. Boring and uniformative.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at PC World part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The money was quite good, some of my colleagues were lovely people and it should have been an enjoyable experience where I learnt quite a few new things about technology.

Cons

I was constantly undermined as a teenage woman, I had no beneficial training (part of my 'training' involved trying not to say the word 'unfortunately', which I personally see as a pointless exercise, considering we were given NO product training whatsoever), and I was often mocked or ignored as the youngest member of staff, and told my opinions were wrong on several occasions. Not only this but I had one customer in particular who said they did not want to be served by me because I was female, and when I brought this to my manager nothing was said or done about it. Not only this, but the company have (in my opinion) a terrible waste procedure, where whole sheets of A4 paper were wasted in order to print one small price tag and so on. I left because of these reasons and more.

I advise a refreshment of policies, where people are reminded of their rights in work and as a human - I was a hard-worker and tried my best to be diligent, and in my current job which I have had for over a year, I have been praised for my good work ethic, and likewise in previous positions, and therefore I know I am not at fault for not enjoying this role. I would also like to add that a fellow colleague suffering with depression was not treated with the respect they deserved at work, subsequently terminating their contract because of this.

8. Great company with little chance of progression as Currys and PC World fight to exist in the same shop. Too many KPI's

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rotherham, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with very few competitors in the market now comet has gone. Stable business plan with growth potential after years of worry

Cons

Lessen the KPI's and focus on delivering great service to customer

9. Disappointing, decisions were made by senior management with no first hand experience in store.

Former Employee - Business Account Developer in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Account Developer in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

keep relatively up to date with technology, learn a reasonable amount about retail. i learnt alot about business during my time as a business advisor - lots of overtime.

Nice colleagues.

Cons

The work and life balance is poor. To progress up the ranks takes far to long, despite being a colleague who could do everything in store from sales to customer service, warehouse etc.... I only got a remotely significant pay rise £0.30 per hour extra 2 weeks before I left after 6 years... store management seem to have no control over payrole in there own store.
    The way to get paid was to complete training and go to workshops but the workshops were few and far between and very hard to get a place on.

Pressure - of course there is pressure on sales staff, it retail, however the quantity of targets is just silly and far to much to think about when your having a conversation with a customer. colleagues will give stuff away just to hit random targets, the amount of different ways stores and colleagues would play the numbers just so they don't get in trouble with senior management.

For example store hits targets but has low margin, this store and manager are praised for making less money.

Store exceeds its margin and sales target but doesn't hit all its figures - there told its unacceptable.

It gets to the point where most colleagues will just send customers to other stores even though they have stock, just to avoid a bad sale. - this happens a lot.

Targets are important as you know but keep it simple, Margin and Cash Sales - you can't fabricate those kind of figures this way you can see which stores are making you money, this will also stop sales colleagues sending customers to other stores if they just want "a box".

Senior management should spend at least a few days each year in store as either sales or customer service just to understand how things work and more often don't work.

Arrange more social events for the staff or encourage store management to do so, happy colleagues means happier custumers and a more productive store.

10. Stressful

Former Employee - General Manager in Harlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at PC World full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

seeing the new technology come in, getting real bargain deals on clearance stock, making friends.

Cons

Rude and ignorant customers, lazy student staff only there for the beer money, salaried for 39 hours but expected to work about 50 hours with no overtime "because you are management", undue pressure from area managers to meet targets on redundant kpi`s, office politics, no transparency on feedback UP the chain.

If this company is to succeed then it needs to change it`s whole approach to customer service and staff training.

11. Okay

Former Employee - Salesman in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Salesman in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at PC World part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was an okay job if you got your head down and did the work without getting into the politics.

Cons

Managers are worst gossips and for politics, overpromising roles to multiple employees

look at your managers closely

PC World Photos

Knowhow Technican Area @ PCW Tottenham Court Road
PC World, Hove (Photo thanks to Geograph user Paul Gillet, Some Rights Reserved)
PC World (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo