PCAOB

Research & Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Research & Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research & Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned more in my 4 month internship than any other 4 months of my career... by far
    Many in senior management are great teachers to those that really want to learn
    Great opportunities to grow for young professionals that show initiative.
    You are not limited by position - if you work hard and take initiative you will be given fantastic opportunities to grow
    Great work/life balance - people really value it

Cons

Compensation is OK, not the best perks - but work/life balances makes up for it.

Keep looking for high performers that want to learn and give them opportunities to do so.

Great experience that opened many doors

Former Employee - Research and Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research and Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting projects that greatly enhanced my knowledge of auditing standards and the regulatory process; the managers take a great interest in providing important and meaningful projects for interns; on-the-job technical and professional training; great culture and friendly work environment; solid experience

Cons

With a few good projects and experiences at the PCAOB added to the resume, you may actually have too many recruiters from the accounting firms coming after you.

I had an excellent, career-accelerating experience

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had the unique opportunity to be mentored by several Washington veterans. I experienced the culture of policy-making in our nation's capital and came to view regulatory bodies in a completely new light. This was a building block in my professional development. Because of my development and experience during this internship, I was able to get an internship with a major Wall Street investment bank. Overall, it was an incredible opportunity.

Cons

Great experience for a university student.

Great Internship. Awesome learning experience

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as an intern in the Office of Research and Analysis for 3 months. It was an awesome learning experience. I was assigned to projects that were interesting and challenging. I was shocked at how much responsibility and autonomy I was given as an intern (of course my work was reviewed and critiqued by experienced analysts, but I was given a lot of chance to learn and grow and feel like I learned a ton in those 3 months). It was great to work with so many experienced professionals, any time I had a question I felt like I could approach any number of people and get the answers I needed.

Cons

I only worked there for 3 months, so I'm not sure I can think of any cons of working there. It was intriguing and beneficial to me professionally and I can't remember any negative aspects (it has been a couple of years though, so maybe there were some little things I just can't think of, if so they were way outweighed by the benefits of my experience.

Phenomenal Learning Experience

Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was only there for three months, but I learned a lot. I was able to work with experienced professionals to see what were the most important aspect of an audit. I was given hands on work that expanded my knowledge base to an incredible degree.

Cons

Living in DC for three months is unbelievably expensive, other than that I loved everything about my summer internship.

Very well structured internship program

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Meaningful projects and good hands on experience. Management was accessible and available if you had questions. Assignments varied from grunt excel work to data analysis using SAS. Was not confined to one team, and had the opportunity to work with different teams within the office.

Cons

No metro benefit for interns. Weekly meetings get a bit boring. Career opportunities are limited to interns.

Risk Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at PCAOB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I felt like the experience I received at the PCAOB was absolutely invaluable. Providing relevant work experience with a big-picture take on the business world, the PCAOB offered me the opportunity to stretch myself and increase my capabilities. Even upper management was concerned about my personal development and progression.

For any future interns considering this opportunity, the PCAOB has a pleasant, yet productive office culture that will build your resume as well as your ability to have a significant impact on the business world.

Cons

Work can sometimes be slow. Being proactive helps remedy this problem.

An amazing opportunity to view the regulatory world of accounting.

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Any place I've ever worked at, the first and most important factor to me is the people I work with. I still keep in contact with the friends I made at the PCAOB (interns and full-time alike). The environment is a warm, friendly atmosphere teeming with collaboration.

I learned the ins and outs of practical uses for Excel, and was given relatively free reign over both my work-life balance. As long as we had enough work to keep us occupied we were welcome to work whichever hours of the day were most convenient to us, I for one, preferred to arrive later in the morning and work later into the evening.

The words I get to put on my resume have lead to many opportunities that might not have otherwise been available, but it's the depth behind those words that made the experience so valuable. When I joined the PCAOB I knew I was going to enter Public Accounting afterwards to jumpstart my career.

Working at the PCAOB has given me a perspective that none of my colleagues have. It has helped me see the whole picture of what's happening in an Audit, instead of thinking it stops once we've filed. I was involved in research that would ultimately lead to selections made for PCAOB review, and I was part of a project to present findings on financial statement line item classifications and the discussion of standardization. I did real work for highly experienced professionals who made decisions based on my information. I got more than I had hoped for out of my internship. I strongly recommend interning with the PCAOB if you plan on doing Public Accounting for any length of time.

Cons

Every company has issues, but as far as an internship goes I wouldn't consider any involved here worth noting except as noted below in my "Advice to Management"

The hiring process is really rough, and I don't mean hard, I mean bad. I've spent plenty of time chatting with individuals in HR, and they always came across as kind and competent people to me. But, somewhere along the line there is a major communication break down. If you don't know someone on the inside, or call the recruiters incessantly there's a solid chance your resume will not get to the department it's directed to. I'm basing this off my personal experience, the experience of 3 of my fellow interns, and the experience of a friend I assisted in getting hired the summer after my internship. This is a real problem.

ORA Intern -- Great Growing Experience

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I have a lot to say, and I think past intern reviews range from OK-accurate to wildly inaccurate (mainly trying to make up for their own lacking behavior/skills).

I loved my experience at the PCAOB. I was allowed to go as hard and as fast as I was able, and quickly burned through the "easy" work and got to do much more interesting work and responsibility in the short space of a 4 month internship. The full-time staff are all extremely smart and awesome to work with, and I got a ton of great advice from them. They were very open to individual meetings to talk about career advice and perspective.

The PCAOB internship skills gained and experience not only made me smarter (got to do new things technically (e.g. more advanced excel skills), and learn more about accounting, auditing, SEC filings, broader industries, important leadership and soft-skills, a look at how corporate governance should work, grappling with important issues that the C-suite level is concerned with, etc.). Cross-functional work was also a great opportunity to learn and grow in a real-world experience outside of school.

Post-PCAOB benefits:
    The internship looks extremely good on a resume. In later interviews, all companies that I interviewed at (read i-banks (GS/MS/Citi/WF/Jefferies), economic and management consulting, and all big 4 accounting) were all interested and impressed with the experience. It's not just me -- I know at least 2 others who also have had awesome interviews and career tracks post PCAOB internship. Very few people get the opportunity to be an intern at the agency, and since few know what happens it makes for a great talking point.

Dispelling myths:
    Some interns thought that work was slow, and that's because they were asking for it! I personally witnessed them come in late, chat around for hours, play on their phones/internet, and didn't ask for work. So, of course they thought it was slow. They also were the ones that didn't realize they had the chance to jumpstart their careers by speeding through easy routine work, and then helping sr. managers out by letting them offload some of their work (high-level stuff that you would NEVER do at an accounting or investment management/banking firm for at least 4-5 years). I oversaw these interns on a few projects, and was approached a few times by them asking how to do better work @ the PCAOB.

One more thing. There is no such thing as an entry-level position, and this is GREAT for an intern. People at the agency need to have a high level of experience to do the work (audit others, write sophisticated reports with accounting and econ knowledge, etc.), and they are the ones giving tasks to interns. I don't know why previous reviews from interns list this in the "cons" since they know how the place works from the beginning. You basically work with managers, sr. managers and up from day 1 -- where else do you get that opportunity?

Cons

The HR team needs to be a bit more on the ball. HR mentioned a backup from hurricane Sandy, but I had to be very proactive and interact with them at every step -- getting interviews scheduled, asking about results a few times, calling to see if I needed to do anything further (I did), etc. HR has nothing to do with the main offices and functions of the PCAOB, which is where 99% of my actual (awesome) work experience was.

Keep it up -- just ask HR to enjoy being quick and effecient

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Office of Research and Analysis in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plentiful opportunities to learn about the business world. Engaging projects and challenging assignments helped me hone my technical skills and learn about the common practices and regulations within the accounting profession. Management included well qualified and highly intelligent individuals who were resourceful and helped others at a moments notice.

The mission of firm is noble and important. The managers do a great job of upholding the mission and keeping interns involved.

My internship helped me gain various interviews for full-time associate positions with Big Four firms when I previously had difficulties obtaining interviews for Big Four internships.

Cons

Compensation is more than adequate, but less in comparison to public accounting firms. Limited advancement for interns to become associates.

PCAOB Photos