PCAOB Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
James R. Doty

Great if you're not "the help"

I have been working at PCAOB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization has a great mission.

Cons

We get it. PCAOB is focused on auditing and regulation: lawyers and accountants do the mission-critical work. Life is pretty good if you're auditor, and working here can be a great bump for your career. However, there is a class system. If you're in finance, HR, facilities, IT or otherwise not part of the important people, buckle up. You will be treated like little respect on a good day, rudely on an average day, and hr-actionable on a bad day. You will be asked to do things that require cooperation from the business, who will find it beneath them, and you will be blamed when they do not cooperate and the project fails. Your management may or may not stick up for you. As a whole, PCAOB is a toxic environment, where employee relations is always hopping. People prefer to file actions against each other instead of having a conversation or arbitration. Everything is political. Managers and Board members fight with each other constantly and use employees as pawns to prove a point. Right now, HR and IT are the worst managed of the "professional services", but all of the practice areas have issues of one kind or another [IT is pretty bad; HR is worse]. Those benefits are really nice, but they're also golden handcuffs. I'm looking for something else to do. You should too.

Advice to Management

There's a good reason why you can't hire and retain employees. Look in the mirror and make some changes. Also, treat your employees with some respect. Say hello when you see them. Don't interrupt when they present in meetings. You're important, but you're not Jesus.

2. Great technically; some political in-fighting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to learn/improve technical skills good salary good work/life balance

Cons

political in-fighting at Board level has stymied initiatives

Advice to Management

hired a mediator/counselor to improve Board dynamics

3. 3 years experience at the organization.

Current Employee - Inspections Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inspections Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PCAOB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance and work from home days.

Cons

Quite a bit of travel. Travel is typically from Mar./Apr through Nov.

Advice to Management

Career advancement and career opportunities

5. Business Intelligence Intern

Pros

Well paid, people are nice

Cons

Work efficiency is a kind of slow

Amazing benefits. Retire in place but find job satisfaction somewhere else

Pros

With many years of experience, I came here to do meaningful work for a company with an interesting purpose. That didn't happen but I stayed because PCAOB has amazing benefits. Great healthcare. 7 weeks of vacation in your first year , 6 every year after that. Fidelity 401k with matching and every holiday you can imagine on top of a work from home policy. We hire senior people and pay them fairly so you'll work with people who know their domain even if they don't get to use their skills here. Working here is also great for your resume if you are an auditor. The IT group is management heavy which creates a weird but much needed buffer from the rest of the company. If you are ready to retire in place then this is the place.

Cons

A culture of primarily auditors and lawyers makes this an sour and politically charged place to work. It's depressing but the time off allows us to escape just long enough to make it bearable for one more month at a time. I work in IT and the majority of non IT employees are rude and condescending to our people. The senior IT management sits by passively because they are worn down from years of weak executives who do nothing to help them succeed. The IT executives never stand up for their people. Many of us are underutilized for our skills but stay and pass our time counting the days or years until we can retire. (is that a pro or a con?) Instead of solving problems and doing their jobs effectively, the executives delegate everything to people who aren't empowered and then hire more managers hoping they will do their jobs for them. The IT executives don't believe in their teams or themselves. While some might consider this a "pro" because managers can enjoy doing nothing here for years, it's a con for anyone who wants to accomplish anything.

Advice to Management

Find an experienced IT executive who knows how to LEAD and run an IT organization. If you replace the 2 incapable figureheads you have now with one good leader, let go of some of the lower management and hire more real workers you could easily reduce your costs by 1/2 or get better quality work done each year. In order to do this you'll have to start treating any capable IT managers and staff with respect as partners in the organization. You can't let the general staff continue beating up on IT teams forever and expect anything other then average quality work. Good IT workers are hard to find. Now that the economy is recovering you may start to loose your people who have pride in our work. Consider how sad it is that I'm writing this review in hopes that you'll make some changes but the IT executive team has been telling you how healthy IT is now.

7. Overall good place to work

I have been working at PCAOB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, minimal office politics

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement depending on your role

8. Risk Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at PCAOB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I felt like the experience I received at the PCAOB was absolutely invaluable. Providing relevant work experience with a big-picture take on the business world, the PCAOB offered me the opportunity to stretch myself and increase my capabilities. Even upper management was concerned about my personal development and progression. For any future interns considering this opportunity, the PCAOB has a pleasant, yet productive office culture that will build your resume as well as your ability to have a significant impact on the business world.

Cons

Work can sometimes be slow. Being proactive helps remedy this problem.

9. Great Company!

I have been working at PCAOB full-time

Pros

Good company with great benefits and opportunties!

Cons

Nothing bad to report; I am pretty happy with the company!

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Office of Research and Analysis in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Office of Research and Analysis in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plentiful opportunities to learn about the business world. Engaging projects and challenging assignments helped me hone my technical skills and learn about the common practices and regulations within the accounting profession. Management included well qualified and highly intelligent individuals who were resourceful and helped others at a moments notice. The mission of firm is noble and important. The managers do a great job of upholding the mission and keeping interns involved. My internship helped me gain various interviews for full-time associate positions with Big Four firms when I previously had difficulties obtaining interviews for Big Four internships.

Cons

Compensation is more than adequate, but less in comparison to public accounting firms. Limited advancement for interns to become associates.

11. Risk Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB (Less than a year)

Pros

over the course of 3 months I had a very enjoyable time at the PCAOB. I enjoyed working with and learning more about the audit process with the different teams and managers. As interns you will be able to have a hands on experience as to what goes on in the PCAOB, and this experience really broaden my perspective of public accounting. Everybody at the PCAOB is very open and easy to talk to-I was very comfortable asking questions and or advice about my career and my projects. You can really tell everybody here is looking out for you as well. Overall I had an amazing experience at the PCAOB, and am honored to have had the opportunity to intern here. I highly recommend it to anybody who is pursuing a future in public accounting.

Cons

Although I enjoyed my time, the PCAOB does not entry level positions right out of college. However, this is very reasonable because they want to ensure that you have had experience in working with a public accounting firm.

RSS Feed </> Embed