PCAOB

www.pcaobus.org

PCAOB Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
PCAOB – “Company Culture Collage”

James R. Doty

Like a government with private sector pay

Associate Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEasy, no pressure, no real deadlines. Board members or senior management don't care about how the organization is operating. Over paid with easy bankers hours work.

ConsNo motivation, incompetent IT department - but no one cares since it can't be any worse how it is. SEC is totally ineffective in overseeing PCAOB. It should be better off as part of Government, and have GAO audit them. There is no independent audit - SEC OCA and PCAOB senior management know each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop believing what IT is telling you. Have some really know IT audit your IT projects and their sendings. Should pay attention to internal operations more. Adjust salary by location. Cost of living is not same between DC or NY vs Tx or Colorado!!! Especially when those people work from their home most of the time!

Good benefits, Promotions harder to come by

ProsRelaxed work environment, professional and respectful colleagues, flexible work arrangements, meeting different people and visiting different locations in and out of the country. You'll enjoy being an inspector if you like to travel.

ConsGetting top heavy and promotions harder and harder to come by, little to no raise/bonus, must find ways to standout (i.e. create every little tiny perceived value) among hundreds of colleagues who do the same thing and have the same title in order to be promoted, limited work variety beyond reviewing audit workpapers, demanding travel schedule, interesting international locations snatched by senior staff and others left with not so interesting domestic locations.

Interesting organization as they try to hard to meet their mission. Have leadership issues which can make it difficult.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAudit Mecca, decent work-life balance, good pay and benefits.

ConsInconsitent leadership skills and don't truly care about staff. Feels like you're a government employee at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire smart and work hard to take care of staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work with

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent learning workplace and life balance

Consseldom have entry level positions because it requires a lot of experiences

A nice place to hone your technical skill and build your networkh

ProsIt's a great place to start your career, you won't bother with printing or copying. Instead, you will gain knowledge and expertise about accounting as well as auditing. The people here are very professional and nice, so you can build your new network here.

ConsIt's kind of slow some times.

Manager

ProsMission. Great place for auditors and lawyers with a lot less stress with great pay for not much of work to do. For auditors, other than some traveling during the inspection, not much to do without worrying about getting fired - job security! For attorneys, it's a great place for you. Although you don't add much value to the business, you are almost as powerful as the auditors - job security!!!

ConsThe worst IT group in the world!!! They don't know how to manage and lazy. They haven't delivered anything for the past several years. Incompetent senior leadership. No one should hire anyone who used to work for the PCAOB IT. The management can't leave the company event though they hate their top dog, because they can't find any jobs that pay similar salary for what they do!!! Their security is a joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit IT finance and contract. SEC is not doing a good job in auditing the pcaob's IT. The IT doesn't know how to budget or manage the budget! Why isn't any of the board members or division leaders ask what CIO is doing? Too many overpaid employees for the government like environment!! (Good pay, good benefit, slow, job security, lots of free time)

Intern experience at the PCAOB

Research & Analysis Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis place has very lay back culture. Every working professional is very experiecned and most of them are pretty nice. Great chance to learn about the accounting industry.

My supervisor is very good. Lots of down to earth people here.

ConsBecause the company has pretty lay back culture, sometimes it is a little bit slow to push things forward. You might get too many projects to finish right before the deadlines.

Employees are expected to work cross functionally. For example, you are a accouting person, but you could definitely do a lot of IT ( business intelligence) related work.

Great Place for Inspectors but Nightmare for IT Professionals Double Standards

ProsGood Benefits and Generous Leave 6 weeks per year. Good Company but very disconnected from the IT staff and only cares for the Inspectors and auditors.

ConsLow Salary, Double Standard, IT Micro Managed to extend where the management will watch your bathroom time, socializing is not allowed and frowned upon. All work no play no fun long hours expected to work on holidays and weekends.
    Stay away if your in IT they will crush your soul. Where you will feel worthless and stupid. Especially you are sharper then the manager they feel threatened since they believe they are the smartest people on earth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect if you want their respect. Respect earned not demanded. Stop the double standard by treating your favorites like Gods where they can not do any wrong.

Important and Great Mission

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSmart, well respected peers that I am proud to be affiliated with. Work life balance is very reasonable. The mission and the work is well regarded and important.

ConsInternal politics can make things very difficult here. For an organization of a 1,000 it is very bureaucratic. Poorly run and not efficient from an operational perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness process re-engineering

Lots of changes, but overall well served

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

Pros6 weeks PTO
    Casual environment in Ashburn office.
    Nice people.
    Busy with work.

ConsLots of bureaucracy due to nature of business
    Management needs to delegate better.

Worked for PCAOB? Contribute to the Community!