PCAOB

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.8

James R. Doty

Amazing benefits. Retire in place but find job satisfaction somewhere else

I have been working at PCAOB

Pros

With many years of experience, I came here to do meaningful work for a company with an interesting purpose. That didn't happen but I stayed because PCAOB has amazing benefits. Great healthcare. 7 weeks of vacation in your first year , 6 every year after that. Fidelity 401k with matching and every holiday you can imagine on top of a work from home policy. We hire senior people and pay them fairly so you'll work with people who know their domain even if they don't get to use their skills here. Working here is also great for your resume if you are an auditor. The IT group is management heavy which creates a weird but much needed buffer from the rest of the company. If you are ready to retire in place then this is the place.

Cons

A culture of primarily auditors and lawyers makes this an sour and politically charged place to work. It's depressing but the time off allows us to escape just long enough to make it bearable for one more month at a time. I work in IT and the majority of non IT employees are rude and condescending to our people. The senior IT management sits by passively because they are worn down from years of weak executives who do nothing to help them succeed. The IT executives never stand up for their people. Many of us are underutilized for our skills but stay and pass our time counting the days or years until we can retire. (is that a pro or a con?) Instead of solving problems and doing their jobs effectively, the executives delegate everything to people who aren't empowered and then hire more managers hoping they will do their jobs for them. The IT executives don't believe in their teams or themselves. While some might consider this a "pro" because managers can enjoy doing nothing here for years, it's a con for anyone who wants to accomplish anything.

Find an experienced IT executive who knows how to LEAD and run an IT organization. If you replace the 2 incapable figureheads you have now with one good leader, let go of some of the lower management and hire more real workers you could easily reduce your costs by 1/2 or get better quality work done each year. In order to do this you'll have to start treating any capable IT managers and staff with respect as partners in the organization. You can't let the general staff continue beating up on IT teams forever and expect anything other then average quality work. Good IT workers are hard to find. Now that the economy is recovering you may start to loose your people who have pride in our work. Consider how sad it is that I'm writing this review in hopes that you'll make some changes but the IT executive team has been telling you how healthy IT is now.

Research & Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Research & Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research & Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned more in my 4 month internship than any other 4 months of my career... by far
    Many in senior management are great teachers to those that really want to learn
    Great opportunities to grow for young professionals that show initiative.
    You are not limited by position - if you work hard and take initiative you will be given fantastic opportunities to grow
    Great work/life balance - people really value it

Cons

Compensation is OK, not the best perks - but work/life balances makes up for it.

Keep looking for high performers that want to learn and give them opportunities to do so.

Overall good place to work

I have been working at PCAOB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, minimal office politics

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement depending on your role

Great experience that opened many doors

Former Employee - Research and Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research and Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting projects that greatly enhanced my knowledge of auditing standards and the regulatory process; the managers take a great interest in providing important and meaningful projects for interns; on-the-job technical and professional training; great culture and friendly work environment; solid experience

Cons

With a few good projects and experiences at the PCAOB added to the resume, you may actually have too many recruiters from the accounting firms coming after you.

I had an excellent, career-accelerating experience

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had the unique opportunity to be mentored by several Washington veterans. I experienced the culture of policy-making in our nation's capital and came to view regulatory bodies in a completely new light. This was a building block in my professional development. Because of my development and experience during this internship, I was able to get an internship with a major Wall Street investment bank. Overall, it was an incredible opportunity.

Cons

Great experience for a university student.

Great Internship. Awesome learning experience

Former Employee - Ora in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Ora in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as an intern in the Office of Research and Analysis for 3 months. It was an awesome learning experience. I was assigned to projects that were interesting and challenging. I was shocked at how much responsibility and autonomy I was given as an intern (of course my work was reviewed and critiqued by experienced analysts, but I was given a lot of chance to learn and grow and feel like I learned a ton in those 3 months). It was great to work with so many experienced professionals, any time I had a question I felt like I could approach any number of people and get the answers I needed.

Cons

I only worked there for 3 months, so I'm not sure I can think of any cons of working there. It was intriguing and beneficial to me professionally and I can't remember any negative aspects (it has been a couple of years though, so maybe there were some little things I just can't think of, if so they were way outweighed by the benefits of my experience.

Phenomenal Learning Experience

Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was only there for three months, but I learned a lot. I was able to work with experienced professionals to see what were the most important aspect of an audit. I was given hands on work that expanded my knowledge base to an incredible degree.

Cons

Living in DC for three months is unbelievably expensive, other than that I loved everything about my summer internship.

Very well structured internship program

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Meaningful projects and good hands on experience. Management was accessible and available if you had questions. Assignments varied from grunt excel work to data analysis using SAS. Was not confined to one team, and had the opportunity to work with different teams within the office.

Cons

No metro benefit for interns. Weekly meetings get a bit boring. Career opportunities are limited to interns.

Risk Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at PCAOB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I felt like the experience I received at the PCAOB was absolutely invaluable. Providing relevant work experience with a big-picture take on the business world, the PCAOB offered me the opportunity to stretch myself and increase my capabilities. Even upper management was concerned about my personal development and progression.

For any future interns considering this opportunity, the PCAOB has a pleasant, yet productive office culture that will build your resume as well as your ability to have a significant impact on the business world.

Cons

Work can sometimes be slow. Being proactive helps remedy this problem.

Great Company!

I have been working at PCAOB full-time

Pros

Good company with great benefits and opportunties!

Cons

Nothing bad to report; I am pretty happy with the company!

PCAOB Photos