PCAOB

3.8

James R. Doty

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Office of Research and Analysis in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plentiful opportunities to learn about the business world. Engaging projects and challenging assignments helped me hone my technical skills and learn about the common practices and regulations within the accounting profession. Management included well qualified and highly intelligent individuals who were resourceful and helped others at a moments notice.

The mission of firm is noble and important. The managers do a great job of upholding the mission and keeping interns involved.

My internship helped me gain various interviews for full-time associate positions with Big Four firms when I previously had difficulties obtaining interviews for Big Four internships.

Cons

Compensation is more than adequate, but less in comparison to public accounting firms. Limited advancement for interns to become associates.

ORA Intern -- Great Growing Experience

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I have a lot to say, and I think past intern reviews range from OK-accurate to wildly inaccurate (mainly trying to make up for their own lacking behavior/skills).

I loved my experience at the PCAOB. I was allowed to go as hard and as fast as I was able, and quickly burned through the "easy" work and got to do much more interesting work and responsibility in the short space of a 4 month internship. The full-time staff are all extremely smart and awesome to work with, and I got a ton of great advice from them. They were very open to individual meetings to talk about career advice and perspective.

The PCAOB internship skills gained and experience not only made me smarter (got to do new things technically (e.g. more advanced excel skills), and learn more about accounting, auditing, SEC filings, broader industries, important leadership and soft-skills, a look at how corporate governance should work, grappling with important issues that the C-suite level is concerned with, etc.). Cross-functional work was also a great opportunity to learn and grow in a real-world experience outside of school.

Post-PCAOB benefits:
    The internship looks extremely good on a resume. In later interviews, all companies that I interviewed at (read i-banks (GS/MS/Citi/WF/Jefferies), economic and management consulting, and all big 4 accounting) were all interested and impressed with the experience. It's not just me -- I know at least 2 others who also have had awesome interviews and career tracks post PCAOB internship. Very few people get the opportunity to be an intern at the agency, and since few know what happens it makes for a great talking point.

Dispelling myths:
    Some interns thought that work was slow, and that's because they were asking for it! I personally witnessed them come in late, chat around for hours, play on their phones/internet, and didn't ask for work. So, of course they thought it was slow. They also were the ones that didn't realize they had the chance to jumpstart their careers by speeding through easy routine work, and then helping sr. managers out by letting them offload some of their work (high-level stuff that you would NEVER do at an accounting or investment management/banking firm for at least 4-5 years). I oversaw these interns on a few projects, and was approached a few times by them asking how to do better work @ the PCAOB.

One more thing. There is no such thing as an entry-level position, and this is GREAT for an intern. People at the agency need to have a high level of experience to do the work (audit others, write sophisticated reports with accounting and econ knowledge, etc.), and they are the ones giving tasks to interns. I don't know why previous reviews from interns list this in the "cons" since they know how the place works from the beginning. You basically work with managers, sr. managers and up from day 1 -- where else do you get that opportunity?

Cons

The HR team needs to be a bit more on the ball. HR mentioned a backup from hurricane Sandy, but I had to be very proactive and interact with them at every step -- getting interviews scheduled, asking about results a few times, calling to see if I needed to do anything further (I did), etc. HR has nothing to do with the main offices and functions of the PCAOB, which is where 99% of my actual (awesome) work experience was.

Keep it up -- just ask HR to enjoy being quick and effecient

An amazing opportunity to view the regulatory world of accounting.

Former Employee - Ora in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Ora in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Any place I've ever worked at, the first and most important factor to me is the people I work with. I still keep in contact with the friends I made at the PCAOB (interns and full-time alike). The environment is a warm, friendly atmosphere teeming with collaboration.

I learned the ins and outs of practical uses for Excel, and was given relatively free reign over both my work-life balance. As long as we had enough work to keep us occupied we were welcome to work whichever hours of the day were most convenient to us, I for one, preferred to arrive later in the morning and work later into the evening.

The words I get to put on my resume have lead to many opportunities that might not have otherwise been available, but it's the depth behind those words that made the experience so valuable. When I joined the PCAOB I knew I was going to enter Public Accounting afterwards to jumpstart my career.

Working at the PCAOB has given me a perspective that none of my colleagues have. It has helped me see the whole picture of what's happening in an Audit, instead of thinking it stops once we've filed. I was involved in research that would ultimately lead to selections made for PCAOB review, and I was part of a project to present findings on financial statement line item classifications and the discussion of standardization. I did real work for highly experienced professionals who made decisions based on my information. I got more than I had hoped for out of my internship. I strongly recommend interning with the PCAOB if you plan on doing Public Accounting for any length of time.

Cons

Every company has issues, but as far as an internship goes I wouldn't consider any involved here worth noting except as noted below in my "Advice to Management"

The hiring process is really rough, and I don't mean hard, I mean bad. I've spent plenty of time chatting with individuals in HR, and they always came across as kind and competent people to me. But, somewhere along the line there is a major communication break down. If you don't know someone on the inside, or call the recruiters incessantly there's a solid chance your resume will not get to the department it's directed to. I'm basing this off my personal experience, the experience of 3 of my fellow interns, and the experience of a friend I assisted in getting hired the summer after my internship. This is a real problem.

Great Company!

I have been working at PCAOB full-time

Pros

Good company with great benefits and opportunties!

Cons

Nothing bad to report; I am pretty happy with the company!

Helped me get to where I am

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Office of Research and Analysis at PCAOB has very knowlegable staff who are very friendly and willing to teach you the skills you need in your field. I wasn't an accounting student, but I got a basic knowledge of the subject through working in ORA. Furthermore, I was given a role in automating some of the reports and other opportunities with the economics research group. I really developed a good understanding of various data sources and VBA (and of programming in general) through my time there and also got some exposure to research and economic analysis. I quite literally got my next position from the skills I picked up at PCAOB. I would highly recommend the PCAOB to others looking for development of skills that are highly valued in job market, even for non-accountants.

Cons

Things tend to move rather slowly, which does have an impact on how you regard the work that you do

Rare opportunity to be introduced to the profession while still in University.

Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The managers were sincerely interested in your learning during the internship. We never fetched coffee or did menial tasks. We were given autonomy over most projects and had plenty of guidance.

Cons

This internship is for those who are passionate about the world of accounting. If you're looking for a cookie-cutter extension of college, then it's probably not for you.

2013 Summer intern

I worked at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern work life balance was great, and you generally had the opportunity to work over time if there was enough work for it. Also, the managers paid attention to the fact that interns are students, and encouraged them to grow, and develop through projects given to them. At the PCAOB, I learned how to use Excel through their training of interns, and learned technical issues there were described thoroughly to the other interns and me for the various projects I worked on. I enjoyed my time there, and truly made some of the best friends I've ever had. Management is committed to your success, will help you with any questions you have, and is very flexible if you need time off. The people there really care about you.

Cons

Because it was summer, there were down times where there was not enough work for all of the interns. During these times, they encouraged us to do research or find public information of suspicious accounting activity, but that can only keep one busy for so long.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Risk Analysis Intern

Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PCAOB (less than an year)

Pros

over the course of 3 months I had a very enjoyable time at the PCAOB. I enjoyed working with and learning more about the audit process with the different teams and managers. As interns you will be able to have a hands on experience as to what goes on in the PCAOB, and this experience really broaden my perspective of public accounting. Everybody at the PCAOB is very open and easy to talk to-I was very comfortable asking questions and or advice about my career and my projects. You can really tell everybody here is looking out for you as well. Overall I had an amazing experience at the PCAOB, and am honored to have had the opportunity to intern here. I highly recommend it to anybody who is pursuing a future in public accounting.

Cons

Although I enjoyed my time, the PCAOB does not entry level positions right out of college. However, this is very reasonable because they want to ensure that you have had experience in working with a public accounting firm.

Laid back but rewarding internship experience

Current Employee - BI Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - BI Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at PCAOB as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good hours, a lot of learning opportunities, tons of speakers for interns. The managers will even encourage you to go to these lectures.

Cons

People are not too driven and kind of slow. Lunchtime could be an hour long sometimes and they would chat for an entire morning

PCAOB is very nice to work for. Good compensation and meaningful work - who will watch the watchmen?

Intern

I worked at PCAOB

Pros

People are nice around here

Cons

Really strong office politics. You can even see that as an intern

PCAOB Photos