PCC Structurals

Kevin Stein

Good solid company

Current Employee - Radiographer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Radiographer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is on scale. Employees are encouraged to grow. And training is abundant. There is a good overall feeling on the job. Benefits are fairly decent. The quarterly bonus based on operation performance is unique and quite nice. This place tends to attract some pretty decent people.

Cons

Pay is not above average scale. Overtime is unusually abundant and strongly encouraged. Parking is also an issue at times.

Engineer

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time

Pros

Not many pros of working here - they pay decently, but that it about it.

Cons

There is no work life balance - management does not care at all about your family or you spending any time with them. Prepare to be set up for failure with unreachable targets, and then to be yelled at all day long about how you aren't hitting your targets. They are wildly understaffed and rather than hire additional people to fill the vacancies, they just have everyone perform multiple job functions. There are no resources for new employees trying to figure things out, you are thrown straight into your roll within your first week and then the yelling begins. They will not allow for any downtime on equipment to perform maintenance, but when it breaks down due to lack of maintenance, you guessed it - more yelling! They are also constantly firing people. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

There needs to me a MAJOR shift in company culture in all aspects.

Good opportunities for personal growth, but with a cost (like divorce).

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Don't come to work here if you want to rest on your laurels. This place is for the wired in person who likes challenges. Great oppotunity for advancement if you are a hard worker, you make things happen and you have a sheepskin. If you don't have a degree, you will be discriminated against even if you out-perform the graduates. You can advance without a degree if you are a top tier performer (like top 3% range) and, if you have a little luck. Wages are decent but not as good as Boeing. The quarterly bonus has really dropped off since the continual 3% performance increase demand quarter after quarter have become nearly impossible to hit. With that type of demand and my calculations, we should be shipping all product with no labor applied at all, by 2026. Stock option purchase plan is decent and has kept a few good folks from leaving. The Medical and Dental kind-of sucks, but whose doesn't anymore? If you are a high performer and don't need any pats on the back for a job well done, this may be the place for you. If life balance is #1 in your mind, don't come here.

Cons

Life work balance! PCC expects a lot. Long days (10 hours) and some weekends. Phone calls on weekends and some nights. End of the quarter.....forget about it, you will be working to help ship anything that isn't bolted to the floor. This is not an exaggeration. You will be working until midnight Saturday & Sunday night at the end of every 3 month interval (quarter). Upper management drives middle management to do things that shoot us in the foot because they are so frantic to ship parts. It’s very much like Vegas and an addicted gambler “Let’s roll the dice!” (and we come up craps).

Embrace total quality management as a culture. Put a small amout of "insurance" work into the parts in the prelim operations and parts will fly out the door in finals. Look at your engine forcast and hire workers before and during the ramp up. Not after the ramp up and we are late to P.O.! Hire the right amount of workers. Running 20% under and making folks work massive overtime is not sustainable. Go back to smaller work teams who work together AS A TEAM! Huge teams are not teams, they are factories and pass off communication and teamwork are lost. Lastly, treat your people like your kids. Tell them they are great and encourage them to be great becase 90% of them are!

Review

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in San Leandro, CA

I worked at PCC Structurals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team. Engineering crew was enjoyable to work with. Boss was great to work for and he was a great resource when learning the process and understanding my role.

Cons

Retention rate of employees is low. Operators are over worked. Limited to NO opportunities to grow as engineer ( in that plant )

Very Hard Company to Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Better pay than industry competitors; treat their hourly employees well (following recent union drive in PDX area). Good opportunity for growth at the hourly level. Tuition reimbursement program is generous. There is a quarterly cash bonus based on plant performance.

Cons

Long hours for salaried staff. Burn out their engineers, supervisors, and managers quickly with long hours and unreachable goals. Even attained goals are viewed as failure- if you hit your goal it wasn't high enough. Quarterly cash bonus continues to dwindle though it is reported to be based on sales, throughput, and productivity which are higher than ever, and cost/scrap, which are lower than ever. Bonus is about half of what it was 5 years ago, though all other metrics are better- no transparency on what that calculation is. Upper management leads through intimidation- swearing at and belittling subordinates even in front of other employees. Take a long hard look at this company before you decide to go to work there; they will chew you up and spit you out.

Treat people with dignity and respect. If you want better numbers it will require capital improvements to increase capacity, not screaming at your subordinates. Allow your employees to acheive some work life balance. Allow them to win and reward them for doing so!

Should check more, and rely less on others opinions

Former Employee - TOOLMAKER in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - TOOLMAKER in Groton, CT

I worked at PCC Structurals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company if Mgr.would check more often, they are, to involved on paperwork, not in checking reality

Cons

They rely on other peoples opinions, not in checking themselves jealousy makes some employee lie to stay ahead

Check with several people not the ones that it is not convenient that new people know different things

Used to be great and a cool place to work.

I worked at PCC Structurals (more than 5 years)

Pros

Living wage pay scale, but they got everybody on such a short leash, its uncomfortable. When I started it had a "keep the employee's happy and production will come" attitude. After the down turn in the economy, everybody was expendable and all that mattered was the numbers. Co-workers pleasant, until everybody had to watch P's & Q's.

Cons

Teamwork is a joke. It's every man for himself. If you make a mistake, or fail to dot i's and cross t's, or heaven forbid, forget to file a piece of paperwork, you become target number 1. The guys that have been there twenty years, are familiar with in-house politics, and used to give a "Heads up" for dealing with it. Not anymore.

None, that they haven't heard already, Mid level employees have no idea how a company runs(sarcasm),and their suggestions fall on deaf ears or never get passed up the food chain.

Slave drivers

Current Employee - Welder
    Current Employee - Welder

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time

Pros

You can earn a decent wage to support your family. If your single and not social this might be a good place for you.

Cons

This company does not care about its employees or its community! Be prepared! You will be forced to work for months on end without a day off. If you value time with your family this company is not for you! This company values profit above all else. They were recently named the worst polluting company in the USA in the news. They could care less about the health and safety of their employees. This company is old school and is still very sexist. If your a women don't plan on getting fair treatment or equal opportunities in this place. Also be prepared to have your shift constantly changed. Also you can forget about ever getting day shift unless you plan on staying there 20+ years.

People need time with their families and should be treated with respect.

I work w/ great people, I am given meaningful tasks, autonomy, compensated well with many opportunities to advance

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was lucky to have been awarded the Precision Castparts Corp., Scholarship to Villanova University. Throughout college, PCC provided financial, personal and academic support. I started off interning at the SPS Technologies Fastener plant (during college) outside of Philadelphia and I learned as an intern what it meant to work hard (40+hours/ week) and be rewarded as a result.. I was challenged and held accountable throughout my years of college although I only worked during breaks.Throughout my experience with the company, I was always thrown into situations or roles I did not think I was ready for but I learned a lot about the company and grew a lot due to these challenges. PCC gave me the opportunity to pitch ideas and work hard to see results.

Nine months ago, I moved to PCC Structurals in Portland. Similar to most PCC plants, it is a fast paced environment. You will be challenged, there are many opportunities to grow, hard work is required to succeed, great compensation and benefits. PCC is open to new ideas and strategies but you must step up and work for it. PCC is not for everyone, it is for those who can handle the fast paced environment, likes to be challenged while also being recognized and rewarded for your contribution. PCC is a great company that is doing a lot of good in the community (although they never advertise this!). They have a "full ride" scholarship program where they support children throughout HS and will even pay for college (books, tuition, room&board and provide an internship) if the student succeeds. This program started in Portland and it is now duplicated in Philadelphia, Cleveland and Los Angeles. They have Scholarship programs within each Division that support "at risk" children at local community colleges. I am on the PCC Structurals' Scholarship Committee and although some weeks are stressful, this helps me feel like I am apart of something bigger than myself and I love having this role.

Cons

Sometimes it's very difficult to not get overwhelmed with the amount of work you will have but time management helps. Not as diverse as one would like but they are moving in that direction. Adjusting to the overall climate of each plant takes time. It is a results- driven environment which can be challenging at times so you will have those people who want to complain about everything which negatively affects morale in the plant. However, upper management needs to be coached on how to balance a drive for results and an understanding that your workers are people (with lives outside of work). PCC is working on this through engagement initiatives. It is not a perfect company but there is more positive attributes than negative ones.

Focus on your people, engage and invest in the bottom line and you will see a ROI. Engage employees and they will stay.

Demanding and rewarding

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at PCC Structurals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hold on to your pants, because you are going for a ride. Rewarding and demanding company who pay well for your time and work

Cons

Time demanding and constent change in managmen. There is no shortage of opertunity to move up because of the changing managmen.

PCC Structurals Photos