PCL Construction Enterprises

Updated March 30, 2014
Updated March 30, 2014

3.2

Paul Douglas

8th consecutive year as one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

100% employee owned (90+% of salaried employees own the company and no one may own more than 5%); INCREDIBLE dividends on company stock (avg. of 42% per year since 1976); family oriented and off the chart benefits; promote from within culture

Cons

I haven't had a particularly negative experience here in my 28 years!

keep listening and responding to employee suggestions

PCL Seattle

Current Employee - Field Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees are motivated to put in extra effort to ensure the success of their projects as all salary employees have the ability to participate in the employee ownership program. After just a couple of years of purchasing the stock that has been offered, my annual dividend check is a huge boost to my total compensation- not enough to compensate the long hours though (see below).

Cons

Management often under staffs the projects in an effort to cut costs but leads to extra long hours for employees- frequent long uncompensated hours.

Expect to be asked to relocate as the company works in most areas of the US and Canada.

Rapid growth into new markets has lead to an influx of employees from other companies. One of the best things about the company has been the 100+ years of experience, expertise, and practices that have been developed, but this has become lost in the last few years through the rapid growth. Has lost sight of the small family company that it had just 5 to 19 years ago

Continue to be assigned to projects with young managers who are getting their first shot at running a job- this hasn't left much opportunity for learning from experienced staff and progressing my own career. This has limited my advancement as during annual reviews I haven't had the right exposure to new areas to allow me to move forward.

Fill positions from within rather than hiring from outside- pretty discouraging to your current employes that are working hard hoping to move up the ladder.

Poor communication

Current Employee - Superintendent  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee owned, good benefits, always keep you working even when project is finished, (if your salary)

Cons

Terrible communication! They have a great mission statement and tell you all these great things that they do on job. When you get to work or the site the things they told you go right out the window. Upper management is very young and inexperienced, and extremely rude and disrespectful to lower management or the craft in the field. To much nepotism, way to much! It's who you know at PCL to move up the ladder. And jobs are run very poorly! Again no communication with staff and craft, everything is from the hip here. Wages for craft and superintendents is not very competitive, especially the craft's wages.

Learn how to communicate with craft, listen to what they have to say. Get some training before they are given a job to run. Pay craft competitive wages! If its written in your S.O.P. then follow it!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor communication from management to front line workers

Current Employee - Superintendent  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises

Pros

Great health benefits, employee owned company, great vision for the future, pay is average, has mentoring program,three weeks vacation

Cons

Very long hours, poor communication from district management team who is quick to pass the buck if a project is in trouble

Better communication from upper management. PCL offers a mentoring program, however, does not use it. Match up the skills of an employee to the project they work on don't throw them in the frying pan and give them the advise "you will sink or swim"

Nordic is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises

Pros

The job has decent pay, employees can purchase shares. Typical benefits are included, w/paid vacation granted you are on salary.

Cons

Upper management pays you for 40 hours a week, but you are EXPECTED to work overtime everyday. If you leave at 3:30, expect to hear about it. Why should I have to make an excuse to leave after 8 hours? 11-12 hour days are common. Work starts early, ends late. Be prepared to have NO LIFE. Weekend work is not compensated. If you work in the field, be prepared for long commutes as job locations change with projects. The work environment is too militaristic. Expect superiors to talk down to you. No initial training, they will put you on a project and expect results. Poor screening processes by HR in the hiring phase as the employee tasks within the company are not specified, thus leading to incompatibilities between worker skills/expectations and the actual job.

Be more thorough in the job description for applicants so they know what they are getting into. Do not just dump new employees into the job and expect high levels of productivity, especially if prior training does not completely correlate to the job itself.

This is an incredible company for a long term career with ownership opportunities.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises

Pros

All salaried employees have an opportunity to buy company stock (it's 100% employee owned and 3400 employees own it). the stock returns (dividends and increase in share value) have averaged 42% per year since 1975 so many long term employees see dividend checks well in excess of their annual salaries. It's strongly family oriented, ethics driven and offers incredible benefits compared to others in this industry. This is my 26th year and I only wish I had joined PCL earlier. Both of my sons work here as well because they saw growing up what a great place this is to work as our family prospered. This is the 6th consecutive year PCL has been on the FORTUNE 100 best companies to work for list.

Cons

Occasional long hours and relocation may be necessary to move up the ladder more quickly but well worth both.

Keep up the great wellness program and communication efforts.

PCL SE trimming the fat

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at PCL Construction Enterprises

Pros

Challenging projects that come with asense of accomplishment. Technology focused support with GPS, computer modeling and licensed P.E's. Employee owned stock is second to none.

Cons

They own you and relocation is a must sometimes a few moves each year. Poor performing field supervision is rampant. Its who you know not what you know that predicts the internal ladder climbing.

Let the subordinates rate/grade their supervisors. Dont move poor performing supervision from one job to the other. Terminate the people whose only contribution is flattery to higher level management.

Great Company

Former Employee - Summer Field Engineer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Summer Field Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at PCL Construction Enterprises as an intern for less than a year

Pros

good work environment, fair compensation. Overall I had a good experience working for PCL, definitely would recommend to those interested in the construction industry

Cons

had to move around. My position required me to move for a period of time. Definitely would not a draw back for some, but I prefer to stay in one location.

Good opportunities to learn.. Some major projects ongoing in Toronto and Calgary Region

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at PCL Construction Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great management, knowledgeable and fun working environment..
    -Great Salary and benefit structure (medical, dental, etc.)
    - Gets to move a lot depending on location and type of project

Cons

- Late hours- might end up working 60 hrs/ week if project demands more work.
    - Hard to maintain work - life balance

Keep up the good work.

Fabulous company, incomparable benefits!

Pros

95+ percent of the salaried employees own the Company (no one can own more than 5% of the shares). This gives the Company a very paternalistic culture where everyone has a vested interest in the success of every other team member. Mentorship is ingrained and everyone is willing to help others. The benefits are incredible (3 weeks of vacation to start, 4x salary in life insurance, $150 deductible medical plan) and the employee share of the cost is a percentage of salary. That means that the higher compensated employees subsidize the cost for the lesser compensated employees and everybody is fine with it. They have a goal of 35 hours/employee/year for community service and make numerous activities available to help us meet that goal, many of which are on Company time. There is a similar 35 hour/year goal for continuing education through the PCL College of Construction. A wellness program includes free health screenings for employees and spouses, exercise reimbursement, etc. The big benefit is share ownership - every employee is offered an opportunity to purchase shares each year and the shares have averaged more than a 40% return each year since 1977! It's the best equity generating vehicle I have ever seen. Long term employees who have been purchasing shares regularly see divident checks well in excess of their annual salaries! What's not to love about that? I'm going on 30 years with the Company and only wish I had joined earlier. This is the 7th consecutive year we've made the FORTUNE Best Companies to Work For list and for good reason!!

Cons

Construction means occasional long days and potential relocation if work runs out in a particular area but PCL is extremely diversified both geographically and sectorially (commercial, civil and industrial) so there are usually lots of opportunities to stay with the Company for persons willing to go where the work is via short term assignments or transfers. Many employees spend their entire careers in one location.

Keep up the employee and family focus, employee ownership, strong safety culture and open communications!

Worked for PCL Construction Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!