PCL Construction

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
3.7

Paul G. Douglas

Pros
  • If you stay long enough you will make decent returns from the employee own portion of the benefits package (in 3 reviews)

• Being employee owned is a bonus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with no compensation (in 6 reviews)

• Trying to implement work-life balance, but it's difficult given the industry norms and imporatance of face time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Safety Intern

Former Intern - Safety Intern in Orlando, FL
    Former Intern - Safety Intern in Orlando, FL

I worked at PCL Construction as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work experience, all levels of management were helpful, good pay and compensation, and excellent environment.

Cons

Works hours took some getting used to. Depending on your project, could be very early hours.

None, I thought they were great.

Awesome pay

Current Employee - Safety in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Safety in Louisville, KY

I have been working at PCL Construction

Pros

Great People, Plenty of Hours

Cons

Working in the outside elements daily

Better communication

Great Company, Great Work Environment

Current Intern - Field Engineer
    Current Intern - Field Engineer

I have been working at PCL Construction as an intern

Pros

The co-workers are great ad it is a very fun environment to work in. Also, the projects that are built are usually very interesting and fun to see be built. Employee Ownership is a plus.

Cons

It seems like they might pay slightly less salary than some of their competitors and sometimes the hours can be long, but it is never anything ridiculously rigorous.

Keep promoting from within. Keep family-like/small-company environment that the company was built on.

Great company, good compensation after 6-7 years, lots of hours. Jobs are bidded very aggressively.

I have been working at PCL Construction

Pros

They do a good job of recruiting similar people so going to work is like hanging out with friends. Stock program allows for amazing compensation after buying into it for 6-7 years. Cool projects.

Cons

Awful work life balance. Upper management preaches how important w/l balance is but it doesn't exist on the project level. A lot of career people so competition to rise is tough if you have a family or other commitments. HR doesn't inform you of the hours worked every week when hired on.

Be upfront with new hires about hours. Stop blowing smoke with the work life balance talk.

Once a people company, now a numbers company

I have been working at PCL Construction

Pros

Great benefits, employee owned, performance bonus.

Cons

It's all about the bottom line.

Pay more attention to the employees and morale.

Excellent Builder with employee focus

Former Employee - Estimating in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Estimating in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PCL is agroup of excellent builders with a wide diversity of skill-sets. Employee ownership is great

Cons

ESOP rewards people with longevity. Many employees who have been there for a long period are dead weight collecting big share distributions. Salaries are way below the industry norm

Increase salaries to attract seasoned employees from outside the firm.

Solid company with a solid track record and a strategic technology vision of where they want to go

Current Contractor - Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PCL Construction as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Making solid investments in their people, processes and technology. Enjoyed working with the Business Technology technology team and appreciated the top down support of the senior management team in my work. Allowed me to conduct some of my work remotely, and actively contribute to new ideas and concepts. Canadians are friendly!

Cons

It was a long commute for me working from the USA as a consultant as the main office is in northern Canada

Keep pushing and evolving your practices and standards. Encourage your people to continue to embrace new ideas and concepts to maintain your leadership.

Just okay.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO

I have been working at PCL Construction

Pros

You are offered stocks once you have been here for over 6 months. Good if you plan on staying a long time.

Cons

Old school company with old school mind set. Some members of management are not friendly and eve though it is an employee owned company, they tend to not treat their employees the best. There is no room for advancement. Depending on who your boss is you will have a good work/life balance.

PCL Construction Services Project Manager Position

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company headquartered in Edmonton, CA.
    Employee owned. It is encouraged, and profitable, to own company stock.
    Well diversified with offices in several states and Provinces.

Cons

Equally qualified women are not promoted at a same rate as their male counterparts.

Stick to Ernie Poole's rules. The last district manager I worked for lied to clients.

Builds character for appreciation of better work life balance and work environment.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at PCL Construction full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly accepting overall demeanor of staff was positive and welcoming.
    If you stay long enough you will make decent returns from the employee own portion of the benefits package.
    Large projects and prestigious type projects that will be around a long time and seen by a lot of people.
    They try to move forward with technology and make sure you have the right equipment to do your job.

Cons

Lower base salary than competitors as a rule. Slow promotion process. Three tiers of each job title: Field Engineer 1,2,3 Project engineer 1,2,3 Assistant PM etc…
    It may be just my experience however but what happened to me consisted of being tasked with more work than I could complete. That was mainly due to 3 issues; 1. Required initial and ongoing training, meetings 2. Bureaucratic processes (many are in place for good reason especially when working for Public entities) 3. Unneeded duplication of work and manual transferring of data between systems (I would call my self a power user of IT and data entry applications and was not allowed to use potential workarounds).
    Understaffed projects.
    I consistently worked 14 hour days including Saturdays and sometimes Sundays with a hour commute made for a bad fit.

I would suggest to management more employee autonomy, when training is required don’t require it be done and not allow work time to do it. ELIMINATE the busy work that sucks real productivity. Never allow or require duplicate submittal tracking and manual updating of submittal logs(huge waste of time and very error prone.)