PCL Constructors

Add Photos

Paul Douglas

Working in difficult conditions

QC Mangerament (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsMoney is good and people are nice

ConsMoney is good, Supervision was not talented or expensed in the field of QC

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training also take better care of contractors

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Postive, supportive staffs

ProsGreat extensive platform, competitive benefitsm, managers with competent experience

ConsPossibility that you will be assigned to a project in a remote location

Opportunity to work on large, challenging projects.

ProsEmployees Owned
    Strong Leadership
    Industry Leading Compensation Package
    Strong culture of Ethical Business Practices
    Challenging Work

ConsLimited opportunity to advance if you are not willing to relocate
    Company's large size and overheads can make it difficult to compete in our market

Advice to Senior ManagementLook within in your district offices for managers instead of always transferring in from outside.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but low pay and looks like it would take a lot of time for promotion.

Summer Student (Former Employee) Nisku, AB (Canada)

ProsWell structured company, easy job that is very laid back and gives you a good work/life balance depending on your position.

ConsRelatively low pay, lengthy time for promotion, limited ability to learn things (boring), very focused on a certain area so skills are hard to transfer.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore trust in people to get things done in new ways.

Culture has changed dramatically, District Leadership has been watered down

Senior Construction Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee ownership and share program. Experienced staff in field and office willing to teach younger employees.

ConsSr. District leadership is generally inexperienced in actual construction and lacking in real leadership skill, seeking to serve the masters of process driven from NAHQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementGenuinely demonstrate the values of saying that the people are your most valued asset.

good company to work with

Associate Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosits a very good company which i have worked with and its management is good and senior staff is quite co operative.

Consno cons. my experience with the company was good and i recommend this company to followers. management is good and co operative

Advice to Senior Managementno

No life outside

Carpenter (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience, big fat pay cheques, always busy, days go by fast, recommend this company for apprentices as a learning experience.

ConsLong days, back breaking work, very dangerous situations, exposed to all weather conditions, as well as exposed to low IQ's and retarded schedule pushes (but that's not a PCL problem as much as it is a industry problem), no life outside of work - you WILL be working Saturdays, became a CLAC company in Calgary.

Advice to Senior Managementnot much, just in Alberta stop with the 44 hour work week mandate, I Know it's in the labour law but these working people have families and friends outside of work too, not just in management.

Disappointing - you expect so much more from the reputation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexible with work life balance.

ConsPCL is a family of companies. I worked with a particular family company (Monad Industrial Constructors, Inc.) that was terrible. Lots of false, misleading promises. If you're not a man with 30 years on-site experience, you won't move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. Invest in technology. Invest in educated people, aside from engineers. The processes are incredibly archaic which is surprising from such an established company.

PCL is a very good company.

Field Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsBeing employee owned is a bonus. Internal Company website is very well done. Year end bonuses with stock options

ConsCivil division: Heavy workload for salary employees. Site management is lean and site office personnel are "expected" to supervise hourly craft. Long list of office requirements are still expected to get done while site supervision is constant. Weekly internal cost management and subcontractor superision is on top of PCL hourly crew micro management. Work hrs are at 65hrs constantly to keep up with paperwork for internal and DOT. Yearly bonuses do not compensate for extended hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuperintendents need help managing crews and cost reporting. Too much crew supervision is required of Project Engineers and Field Engineers.

A good company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits package is good. For salaried employees, you get pretty much 100% coverage and PCL pays 75% of the premiums. They are 100% employe owned which makes a big difference. Bonuses are also good. Salary is fair in the market. Sick time is not really tracked.

ConsLong hours and lots of unpaid overtime (supposed to be compensated with bonus). Male dominated. Support positions receive less support/recognition (Ex: Administrative, Accounting, etc. instead of Project Managers and Supers). Processes not always consistent between locations but rules are top-down so have to do things that don't necessarily work or make sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits are great. More flex options would be great. Would be a good idea to have focus groups between districts to smooth out processes. Ask for more input on daily tasks (are they working? what can we do to make this better?) It would be nice to add mroe focus to the growth of people in support positions, not just PMs an Supers.

Worked for PCL Constructors? Contribute to the Community!