PCM Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Frank F. Khulusi

Pros
  • Overall I was able to learn a lot about the IT sales industry coming into my original entry level sales position with no knowledge of the industry (in 5 reviews)

• Free food and prizes from vendors (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Hight Level of Micro Management (in 7 reviews)

• You have a minimum number of dials, talk time, and such to fulfill per day (in 7 reviews)

1. Be prepared to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at PCM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, good management, awesome sales incentives given away on an almost daily basis. Incredible vendor relations.

Cons

Cold calling... A lot of it. Lack of marketing makes it a challenge to explain to customers that PCM is a $1.5 million company. Long sales cycle.

Advice to Management

Accounts sit untended by sales reps for months at a time, it would be nice if the newer reps, or those not meeting goals were assigned dead accounts to reactivate.

2. Anonymous

I have been working at PCM

Pros

Awesome company to work for! Great culture with strong team environment and management support. Company is currently in growth mode so great time to come on board. I started 6 months ago and I love it!

Cons

Provides flexible shift, but would like more work from home ( remote) days!!

3. Ok place to work

I have been working at PCM

Pros

Management is concerned for the well being of their employees.

Cons

They are on the low side of going rate salaries.

5. Good entry level job

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at PCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to earn lots if you are serious and invest in the company Training Potential to earn bonuses from vendors intensives to motivate you to sell more

Cons

Low pay lots of older staff are very negative on t he company high turnover company policies change constantly

Advice to Management

More support to the newer people in the company Stick to promises Try and keep people longer so there isn't as much of a turnover from quarter to quarter

Account Executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at PCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good first job to gain experience and contacts The company is very motivated to win business Free lunches Prizes, trip incentives

Cons

Very competitive industry Unorganized management strategy There is no career path or growth potential Changing commision programs A lot of outside hiring for job openings

Advice to Management

Create different levels within sales so that there is growth potential at the company. Look first to internal candidates rather than outside candidates for job openings.

So So Company

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at PCM

Pros

Good people, slow processes. Only way to make money is selling services. The SOW process is slow.

Cons

Slow escalation processes. Tools used are slow and antiquated. Service professional are located all over the country. Hit and miss...often miss. Good people are often snatched up for long term projects.

Advice to Management

I have nothing bad to say about the management as I think the people are pretty good. They care and are nice and truly want to take care of their customers.

8. Good Entry Level Position

I have been working at PCM full-time

Pros

Lot to learn from the accounting department.

Cons

Little room for upward mobility.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Glenwood, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Glenwood, IL

I worked at PCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great entry level experience and a place to learn how to be a account executive. Lots of sales competitions to win prizes and money going on all the time. The sales floor was filled with people helping and motivating each other. They do provide all the technical and sale support from the vendors you need

Cons

Training was purely how to use their DOS (that's right I said DOS) system to build quotes and place orders. Their systems are extremely out dated and it takes almost an hour to build a quote and get it in front of the customer. Classic revolving door of account executives because it is extremely hard to make any money on a regular basis. This industry is HIGHLY competitive and they spend NO resources on building the brand name. This makes it a battle for potential customers to give you a chance because the competition (CDW especially) has already marketed their services and has a strong hold on the market. It becomes a price war for most deals and they don't have competitive pricing until you drop your pricing which eliminates you GP which in turn is what you get paid off of. It's not a PCM problem but a re-seller industry problem on a whole. You will run into this at any IT re-seller.

Advice to Management

provide you sales staff with the tools to work better and faster. it makes no sense you are a technology and IT company but still uses a system with a copy write date of 1987!!! Also managing by numbers and metrics will not help anybody get better if they are not meeting goals. Take the time to find out what is holding them back and actually show them how to correct their problem. Other wise you will be mass firing and hiring forever which gives the impression to your current staff that you could care less if they fail because a new person will take you job tomorrow.

Keep Your Sanity

I worked at PCM full-time

Pros

Office Setting, Hourly Lunches, Free Giveaways from Partners

Cons

Interview process until you quit

11. Over booked management, they expect way too much from one person, tons of paperwork and poor IT assistance.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at PCM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was good but not for the amount of work you did. You could work 20 hour days 6 days a week.

Cons

Where do I start my manager didn't call me for a whole week when I started. They expected me to do work that we agreed I wouldn't be doing. Good ole boy network that likes to "haze" new employees to try and vet them. They don't listen to input and they just keep forcing you to do things the wrong way which personally violates my ethics. They also use a certain Network Equipment vender for $500,000,000 sized projects but they barely train you and the gear is very awkward to work with. No labs either so once you do the one week of training you would have to wait months before you actually used the equipment which ran on two totally different operating systems. So it's like going from Cisco to Juniper constantly...I actually had my blood pressure go up to 145/182 and had to go to the hospital because of all the stress. And if you are salaried you have to fill out time sheets or you won't get paid. Expenses must be done in 30 days or less (NO EXCEPTIONS) and they don't offer good benefits at all. I would only work here if I was desperate then find something else.

Advice to Management

You're are thinking you are more capable than you really are. If vendors don't support you on big projects that's a real problem. Don't give Microsoft Surface Pros to Systems Engineers. They have ONE USB port and the hubs usually require power. You also need to stop micromanaging and invest in lab gear and better software for CRM, time sheets, daily reports. It should be on an app because people travel so much.

RSS Feed </> Embed