PEAK6 Investments

PEAK6 Investments Chairman and CEO Matt Hulsizer

Matt Hulsizer

Awesome company

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get access to some of the best and brightest people. High energy, entrepreneurial firm that is always thinking of how to do things better/differently. Collaborative teams, great space, and outstanding holiday parties (Flo Rida was the entertainment this year!). Benefits are also really good.

ConsFinancial services requires a lot of security, for good reason. If you haven't worked in a regulated environment the amount of security and restrictions to data might be unexpected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's been some great progress over the 4 years + that I've been with the firm. There's been strong growth across the firm, and good opportunities for movement within the firm. The leadership team has been much more tuned in to employee feedback over this time. That open communication is really appreciated. Please keep it up!

Dec 23, 2013

We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your time at PEAK6. And, we appreciate you recognizing the progress we've made over the past few years. We'll definitely keep it up!

Too bureaucratic for its own good

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

ProsAnnual band party ( founders hire big time band like goo goo dolls to perform)

ConsCompany touts "frugality" as a plus...including compensation
Has become a bureaucratic organization ....large but layers of people who don't always grasp how their roles help the greater picture

Jan 10, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. At PEAK6 we do want people to spend the firm’s money like it’s their own. We want everyone to be financially responsible. I am disappointed to hear you feel the firm ... More

a

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments

Prosoffice space is very beautiful

Conswould rather not say pls

Dec 5, 2013

We're glad that you enjoy working with us at PEAK6 and appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to provide any additional feedback you may have (good or bad). We welcome all feedback.

Fun place to work

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

ProsCompetitive salary, good bonuses, great co-workers, good work environment, great company parties

ConsNew management brought in on media side caused a stressful work environment and implemented several rounds of lay-offs.

Dec 5, 2013

We're glad that you enjoyed working at PEAK6. The firm has been growing significantly which does bring a good amount of change along with it. We can definitely appreciate that our culture is not ... More

Most of the best and brightest traders have left the firm. One trick pony

Talent Recruitment (Current Employee)

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeak6 is incredibly generous when it comes to providing its employees with unlimited candy, carrots and string cheese. The partner's art collection is one to marvel at when you get situated every morning at your workstation.

ConsManagement can at times be detached, uninterested and unavailable to the employees. The cultural perplexities require solid game theory skills just to navigate the very political landscape there. The playing field is full of hidden booby traps so tread with caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit the political promotions and rid yourself of the many worthless mid to lower middle managers. Way too much micromanaging and second guessing going on from these rather useless individuals.

Dec 5, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. We definitely do encourage an open, transparent culture. And we agree -- a political, bureaucratic culture doesn't support our core values. It sounds like your ... More

good to start a trading career in

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Modern expansive open floor office space w/ glass-wall offices & tall ceilings. Promotes idea sharing.
- There are some innovative, smart, hard-working people in the firm. General office culture is nice and friendly.
- Firm tries to uphold a semblance of intra-office social life. There are 3-4 events throughout the year with company anniversary party being the culmination. There are yoga classes, ping-pong and sporadic sports league involvement.
- In trading the pay tends to be fair (i.e. merit based) even for junior personal. Jr Trader has a chance to make good money under the right circumstances in year 2 on the job.
- Bonuses are predictable to a reasonable extent in trading (not so much in tech).
- Competitive base salary in the tech department.

Cons- Entrepreneurial nature of the top management. This falls under cons because of the number of curtailed initiatives over the years. I can count around 40 of such failed initiatives off the top of my head (so I'd double that number to get a more accurate estimate). The success rate for these initiatives is less than that of a VC firm and half of them have almost nothing to do with core business. Morale suffers from that, as employees often feel that the leadership is diverting resources and attention from the core proven business fruitlessly.
- Due to aforementioned culture be ready for abrupt change. (could be a pro for some).
- For all this change, fundamentally, the firm hasn’t changed too much over the past 10 years. (Option House and one or two profitable strategies traded in the Hedge Fund being the sole exceptions). Incremental improvements happened of course, but that is a natural occurrence for tech-based business.
- Career progression opportunities for middle management are limited. Historically, people who were brought in for a project or initiative haven't stuck around. One often hears of ideological differences, not enough resources, unclear goals and expectations as the reasons for departure. Home grown middle management often gets moved from successful projects and then either leaves or under performs due to resulting disillusionment & lack of motivation. Partnership seems to have reached critical mass - there hasn't been anyone promoted to partner for around 4-5 years.
- Unmotivated leadership. Some of the partners seem to be calling it in. They are never or rarely seen to be involved. Sometimes are on sabbaticals. Founding partners are very particular and controlling, so with the high number of partners, lack of motivation is not surprising.
- It’s generally agreed upon view among the employees that disagreeing with a higher management initiatives is a bad idea, and if you want to have the best chances of comparatively good bonus, you have to support the initiatives and show respect. You do have to present a non-emotional demand here and there to make sure your needs are not disregarded and you are not being "walked on".

Advice to Senior ManagementWith long term goals in mind:
- Appear more involved. Especially in things that would make you better equipped to make good management decisions in things you are working on.
- Keep statements like “it’s a privilege for you to trade my money” or “it is what it is” to a minimum.
- consider publically commending top performers at all-hands meetings instead of the long-tenured employees. Or maybe a grocery store picture plaques type of approach.

Trader

Trader (Former Employee)

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart people, and good technology. Ability to trade what you want and have autonomy. There is plenty of transparency in the pay scale and no one should be surprised at the end of the year.

ConsIts a big ship, individuals need to be cognizant of the big picture. Personal goals are good as long as they align with the firms vision. It may take more time to prove yourself.

Great technology, very intelligent people, fast-paced atmosphere, and omnipresent desire to succeed.

I worked at PEAK6 Investments as an intern

ProsThe technology available to people is top-level. Everybody is very smart, very driven, and very passionate. The business runs very smoothly.

ConsThey definitely demand a lot from you, but this was never really a con. It makes working there more of something to aspire to than something to expect.

Worst trading company in Chicago

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

ProsWilling to hire anybody on need to fill positions.

ConsCompany is a joke. People get hired/promoted on who they know from the company. Completely unprofessional, company has a young changing dynamic where you will hate your life if you stay longer than a year. If you are stuck up, rich, and uneducated this is your calling!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThink less about your individual bonus and focus on the well-being of the company.

positive

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

Proslarge capital provided to traders

Consnot a clear vision by management

Worked for PEAK6 Investments? Contribute to the Community!

PEAK6 Investments – Why Work for Us?

The PEAK6 Difference PEAK6 is not your typical investment firm. We’re savvy, disciplined and highly entrepreneurial. And it’s these qualities that fuel our passion for taking good ideas and transforming them into great… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PEAK6 Investments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PEAK6 Investments CEO Matt Hulsizer. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by PEAK6 Investments employees.