PEAK6 Investments Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
2.5

Matthew Hulsizer

Pros
  • There are plenty of smart people and not too many jerks (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, decently easy to take time off (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • discretionary bonus) to their extreme benefit (in 3 reviews)

• Career progression opportunities for middle management are limited (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It's just a pay check.

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

If you are a trader and If you want to be well-versed in options trading, then this is the place for you. Peak6 is a very disciplined options trading firm. There are a few very smart technology people that you could learn from. They have bags tournaments, playground builds, and poker nights, all of which are cool company perks. They give you candy, chips and soda too if you get excited about that kind of thing.

Cons

There is a lack of growth for employees. No upward mobility. There is a conflict between the old trading firm culture and the new corporate culture that PEAK6 is trying to embrace. The old culture is hard to break. If you are not a trader, then this is not the place for you unless you plan on being there for a good amount of time.

Great culture and people

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Good benefits, compensated well, great corporate culture, fun parties, lots of opportunities to get involved in the community or with other business divisions

Cons

strict hierarchy, productivity sometimes seemed less important than face time in the office or accessibility after hours, executives were inaccessible

Try to be more transparent and accessible to your employees

Terrible place to work

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Management takes an interest in helping you excel

Cons

You're paid a discretionary bonus.

Continue what you're doing

Great place to get your foot in the door if you're looking at a career in trading or tech support for the industry.

Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- I felt comfortable approaching even the highest-ranking individuals at the firm in many different situations.
    - Food, beverages & snacks galore in the 2nd floor kitchen area. Company parties aren't too shabby either.
    - Beautiful office space.
    - Tech admins do their best to ensure you have the right tech set-up in order to fulfill your duties, as well as go above and beyond what you're tasked with in a given day/week -- if you so choose.

Cons

- Very little tech support beyond what is provided for the trading desk. I understand the reasoning for this, but it would have been nice to have a dedicated team of individuals that might have helped streamline some of the trader support / compliance / monitoring tasks that continued to pile on as the firm grew in size during my 2+ years at the firm. I suppose that is the nature of the business, unfortunately, so I don't see that changing at P6 anytime soon,

- Little to no chance for mobility within the firm as a non-trader unless you have made the political connections neccessary to put yourself in such a position. To be frank, if you get a job here and realize your manager(s) is (are) not going to advocate for you to the extent that you might deem fair, especially given the effort expended for them, you are most likely S.O.L. That's not to say movement upward through the firm can't be done -- it's just that I don't know anyone who has pulled it off. It is very hard to stay motivated when you come to realize this is the case and you feel your career is stalling at the ripe ages of 23 - 26.

- This is directed at the partnership -- particularly CapMan partners and DHs -- if you task someone with a drill-down project looking at return volatility, market trends, option liquidity, division profitability, et al, it would be greatly appreciated if the process were iterative, with an open dialogue kept between the requestor and requestee. I know that partners and DHs are unbelievable busy, but guidance and collaboration (in terms of ideas) is critical to really nailiing down some of the initiatives that are being looked at.

All in all, I truly loved my time at Peak6.

- Was it frustrating? Yes.

- Did I love waking up at 5:30 AM to make to the office on time to complete reports and watch the market open? Not so much.

- Was I working with some incredibly smart people that I look up to this very day? ABSOLUTELY.

I hope for nothing but the best for P6 in the future. Please let some of my "negative" comments marinate. I'm sure there is room for improvement in those areas, and I wouldn't be surprised if some current higher-ups didn't at least partially agree with those sentiments.

There are better options.

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

There are plenty of smart people and not too many jerks. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Too much management but too few real decision makers. Incoherent business and human resources strategy. Their best employees seem to be the ones that leave. It doesn't seem like management wants to reward the best performers.

some smart people, but poor middle management, lack of risk taking

Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

its a place to learn about options.
    They used to only specialize in equity options as prop traders, which was very unstable. Now they have a more diversified business, as they have an asset management as well as brokerage business on top of prop trading.
    there are some hardworking talented employees. they've gotten good results, and as a result the partners have done well for themselves.
    nice offices, oh yeah and free candy/ cheese sticks

Cons

The interests some of the managers and the company not well aligned. While there are some nice people and people who add value, there are also managers with mediocre skills, yet quietly have very large egos and feel entitled to their position because they are related to or old friends with the partners/people in power. They can run havoc, do what want, and not worry about their role in the company. Oddly enough, during cuts it's often the people who crossed these managers that are let go.

Partners don't want to put any more money on unproven businesses. They'll say the right things to encourage you to take risks, but if it doesn't pan out, it's your head on the line. Given the career risk of a prop trader, the percentage payout is fairly low. There is very little upside unless you stay here long enough, and get enough luck( at least 5 years) to manage a large book.

partners take the upside potential, the traders eat the downside.

What they do is basically sell volatility, and traders who want to try new ideas and expand to new asset classes won't be given the necessary vote of confidence to succeed.

Great place

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

Lots of good snacks, smart people

Cons

Company has multiple unrelated business, direction and strategy of the firm lacks focus.

Do your home work closely before signing on the line. I mean REALLY do your homework.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The funny thing is that I can't disagree with the free drinks and snacks but isn't that truly a sad overall commentary about the company? Don't be fooled by the flashy new website with all the "smiling" faces. This place is a shell of what it once was.

Cons

It's really one of the most bizarre working environments I have come across. Again, despite the seemingly "upbeat vibe" the management tries to put out it's really just a smokescreen for a cold, and cutthroat reality that faces you. Would you believe they have cameras installed virtually everywhere on the premises watching and monitoring your presence. I just can't make this stuff up I assure you.

The thing you have to realize is that the management is very rich and do not want or "appreciate" your advice. In fact doing that will prove to be dangerous to your career longevity there.

Politics rule over Meritocracy

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

Candy Drawer. Fridge of snacks/pop. A few extremely smart traders who are completely open to sharing thoughts and strategies.

Cons

Meritocracy is not rewarded and they fear taking on risk in even moderate proportions. The company is ruled by how you are perceived in many cases, and middle management is a huge mess. The traders are great, the management are not; in many instances you have to suck up to get anywhere.

All about the Appearances

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

- Free soda and snacks
    - Great company parties

Cons

- IT Managers were completely clueless. I didn't get the impression they had a great grasp on how the business worked. Even worse what the competition is doing.