PEAK6 Investments Reviews

Updated February 20, 2015
73 reviews filtered by
2.6
Matthew Hulsizer

Pros
  • There are plenty of smart people and not too many jerks (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, decently easy to take time off (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • discretionary bonus) to their extreme benefit (in 3 reviews)

• Career progression opportunities for middle management are limited (in 3 reviews)

1. Unique firm with a variety of opportunities for career growth

I worked at PEAK6 Investments (more than 5 years)

Pros

PEAK6 is always looking to invest is new opportunities across a wide array of industries. With those investments brought the chance to grow my professional skill set and work in areas that I wouldn't have had exposure to at other investments firms. The company invests in employees that deliver, adapt quickly and show strong work ethic.

Cons

Overall, I really appreciated that the company can quickly pivot to the changing environment but sometimes the changes seems more reactive to a small blips vs. industry changes.

Overall, I feel the company is on a positive direction. The changes with the leadership style and introduction of more transparency has allowed the overall company feel more connected. I would recommend to continue that trend

2. Needs Focus

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

Cool office space with decent people

Cons

comp is decent but low compared to other prop trading shops in Chicago

3. Good balance between small and huge. Financial culture without the edge

Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a few different areas/roles, there were plenty of opportunities to find something you liked. It's ok to stumble a little.. the organization helps find a role that fits you and them if you have potential. Sometimes the culture and rumors make it sound like that's not the case.

It's a no non-sense and fact oriented culture, which for me was a plus. Don't expect to BS your way to success. Less cutthroat than typical financial/trading stereotypes, however. It's no startup, but you can have an impact.

Cons

There's a feeling that it's constantly in transition. They want to keep everyone adapting and changing.. sometimes that doesn't land for most. It's probably the root of most of the reviews here mentioning lack of focus.

Things are trending positive. Keep making those changes and opportunities for top performers.

Feb 17, 2015President

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad that you were able to take advantage of the diverse range of opportunities at the company and you felt supported to find the right opportunity. We are always ... More

Do NOT care about their employees.

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

Good technology, a few great people, beautiful office and a fully-stocked kitchen.

Cons

Upper management who are clueless and do not care about their employees. The office politics were absolutely ridiculous and there was some kind of restructuring every single year.

Care about the people who make the money and don't be so greedy.

Feb 17, 2015President

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to create a great environment for employees and I am sorry you did not have an overall better experience with PEAK6. If there is anything additional ... More

6. Lots of room to learn and grow

I worked at PEAK6 Investments (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice perks, smart people, amazing office

Cons

Some things coming from the top aren't planned or thought out very well

Feb 17, 2015President

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry you felt things weren't thought out well. We need to do a better job of sharing the reasons for our decisions and communicating more transparently, so it's ... More

Overall awful place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package including 401K matching (discretionary), health care, life insurance, etc.

Cons

1. Compensation is far below standards in prop trading. It is also very opaque so it is very difficult to know exactly all of the variables that affect your compensation.
    2. Enormous paradox in how they operate. They claim to be constantly evolving and looking to develop new strategies/ideas but in reality, this couldn't be further from the truth. They have been doing the same strategy for 20 years and any idea that radically strays away from that is shut down.
    3. They treat employees like garbage. People are often fired without warning and there is no severance package to soften the blow. They take you into a room for a meeting and you are not allowed to go back to the desk afterwards, not even to grab your things. You are led outside while someone from HR collects your belongings and brings it out to you.
    4. Nonexistent career opportunities. No transparent path for going up the ranks. Senior management is essentially a group of friends that knew each other from college or previous firms.

Maintain some kind of focus and treat your employees better.

It's just a pay check.

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

If you are a trader and If you want to be well-versed in options trading, then this is the place for you. Peak6 is a very disciplined options trading firm. There are a few very smart technology people that you could learn from. They have bags tournaments, playground builds, and poker nights, all of which are cool company perks. They give you candy, chips and soda too if you get excited about that kind of thing.

Cons

There is a lack of growth for employees. No upward mobility. There is a conflict between the old trading firm culture and the new corporate culture that PEAK6 is trying to embrace. The old culture is hard to break. If you are not a trader, then this is not the place for you unless you plan on being there for a good amount of time.

Feb 3, 2015President

Thanks for your feedback. We do want PEAK6 to be a great place for people to build and grow their careers. We're thinking a lot about career paths, including how structured, or adhoc, they should ... More

Great culture and people

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Good benefits, compensated well, great corporate culture, fun parties, lots of opportunities to get involved in the community or with other business divisions

Cons

strict hierarchy, productivity sometimes seemed less important than face time in the office or accessibility after hours, executives were inaccessible

Try to be more transparent and accessible to your employees

Feb 3, 2015President

Thanks for your feedback. I completely agree with your advice on being transparent and accessible. We do hold regular all-hands to share goals, challenges, and updates on business performance and ... More

Terrible place to work

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Management takes an interest in helping you excel

Cons

You're paid a discretionary bonus.

Continue what you're doing

Feb 3, 2015President

Thanks for your feedback. We're disappointed that you're no longer with the firm and wish you well. We appreciate you taking the time to provide the positive feedback.

Great place to get your foot in the door if you're looking at a career in trading or tech support for the industry.

Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Desk Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- I felt comfortable approaching even the highest-ranking individuals at the firm in many different situations.
    - Food, beverages & snacks galore in the 2nd floor kitchen area. Company parties aren't too shabby either.
    - Beautiful office space.
    - Tech admins do their best to ensure you have the right tech set-up in order to fulfill your duties, as well as go above and beyond what you're tasked with in a given day/week -- if you so choose.

Cons

- Very little tech support beyond what is provided for the trading desk. I understand the reasoning for this, but it would have been nice to have a dedicated team of individuals that might have helped streamline some of the trader support / compliance / monitoring tasks that continued to pile on as the firm grew in size during my 2+ years at the firm. I suppose that is the nature of the business, unfortunately, so I don't see that changing at P6 anytime soon,

- Little to no chance for mobility within the firm as a non-trader unless you have made the political connections neccessary to put yourself in such a position. To be frank, if you get a job here and realize your manager(s) is (are) not going to advocate for you to the extent that you might deem fair, especially given the effort expended for them, you are most likely S.O.L. That's not to say movement upward through the firm can't be done -- it's just that I don't know anyone who has pulled it off. It is very hard to stay motivated when you come to realize this is the case and you feel your career is stalling at the ripe ages of 23 - 26.

- This is directed at the partnership -- particularly CapMan partners and DHs -- if you task someone with a drill-down project looking at return volatility, market trends, option liquidity, division profitability, et al, it would be greatly appreciated if the process were iterative, with an open dialogue kept between the requestor and requestee. I know that partners and DHs are unbelievable busy, but guidance and collaboration (in terms of ideas) is critical to really nailiing down some of the initiatives that are being looked at.

All in all, I truly loved my time at Peak6.

- Was it frustrating? Yes.

- Did I love waking up at 5:30 AM to make to the office on time to complete reports and watch the market open? Not so much.

- Was I working with some incredibly smart people that I look up to this very day? ABSOLUTELY.

I hope for nothing but the best for P6 in the future. Please let some of my "negative" comments marinate. I'm sure there is room for improvement in those areas, and I wouldn't be surprised if some current higher-ups didn't at least partially agree with those sentiments.

Feb 3, 2015President

Thanks for your feedback. We're disappointed you're no longer with the firm and wish you well in your new role. Your comments were very helpful and we appreciate your balanced perspective on your ... More