PEAK6 Investments Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
73 reviews filtered by

1. Company Review

I worked at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

-fun, great leadership, good compensation

Cons

-often times stuck with nothing to do

Aug 1, 2014President

We're glad that you enjoy working with us at PEAK6 and appreciate your feedback. We're definitely focused on creating a culture where everyone feels challenged in their role and enjoys what they're ... More

Just watch how quickly a fabulous company review shows up after a truthful review is posted.

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great parties that have been continuously declining in quality and attendance. Candy drawer.

Cons

A crowded room of yes men who know enough to never question a ridiculous initiative or new business venture. The owners have their trusted lieutenants along with a bloated layer of junior partners and middle managers unsure of where they will be or what they will be doing in 3 years. Just very little vision as far as a plan of attack. Even the gentlemen responding to these posts was the owner's roommate in college and now the President of the company. Its a great job if you can get it.

Advice to Management

At this point there is not much that can be recommended. They have pretty much made their bed which is to say they have a lot of options traders who at best are probably struggling to make money against the likes of Citadel, Goldman, and Wolverine trading in this highly automated and algorithmic environment. Don't get me wrong they have some pretty cutting edge stuff but so does everyone else.

Aug 1, 2014President

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry it wasn't your experience, but we do encourage an open, transparent culture where people debate ideas. It sounds like your experience wasn't aligned with
    ... More

3. Awesome company

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get access to some of the best and brightest people. High energy, entrepreneurial firm that is always thinking of how to do things better/differently. Collaborative teams, great space, and outstanding holiday parties (Flo Rida was the entertainment this year!). Benefits are also really good.

Cons

Financial services requires a lot of security, for good reason. If you haven't worked in a regulated environment the amount of security and restrictions to data might be unexpected.

Advice to Management

There's been some great progress over the 4 years + that I've been with the firm. There's been strong growth across the firm, and good opportunities for movement within the firm. The leadership team has been much more tuned in to employee feedback over this time. That open communication is really appreciated. Please keep it up!

Dec 23, 2013President

We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your time at PEAK6. And, we appreciate you recognizing the progress we've made over the past few years. We'll definitely keep it up!

Too bureaucratic for its own good

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Annual band party ( founders hire big time band like goo goo dolls to perform)

Cons

Company touts "frugality" as a plus...including compensation
    Has become a bureaucratic organization ....large but layers of people who don't always grasp how their roles help the greater picture

Jan 10, 2014President

Thanks for your feedback. At PEAK6 we do want people to spend the firm’s money like it’s their own. We want everyone to be financially responsible. I am disappointed to hear you feel the firm ... More

6. a

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments

Pros

office space is very beautiful

Cons

would rather not say pls

Dec 5, 2013President

We're glad that you enjoy working with us at PEAK6 and appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to provide any additional feedback you may have (good or bad). We welcome all feedback.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good bonuses, great co-workers, good work environment, great company parties

Cons

New management brought in on media side caused a stressful work environment and implemented several rounds of lay-offs.

Dec 5, 2013President

We're glad that you enjoyed working at PEAK6. The firm has been growing significantly which does bring a good amount of change along with it. We can definitely appreciate that our culture is not ... More

Most of the best and brightest traders have left the firm. One trick pony

Current Employee - Talent Recruitment in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Recruitment in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peak6 is incredibly generous when it comes to providing its employees with unlimited candy, carrots and string cheese. The partner's art collection is one to marvel at when you get situated every morning at your workstation.

Cons

Management can at times be detached, uninterested and unavailable to the employees. The cultural perplexities require solid game theory skills just to navigate the very political landscape there. The playing field is full of hidden booby traps so tread with caution.

Advice to Management

Limit the political promotions and rid yourself of the many worthless mid to lower middle managers. Way too much micromanaging and second guessing going on from these rather useless individuals.

Dec 5, 2013President

Thanks for your feedback. We definitely do encourage an open, transparent culture. And we agree -- a political, bureaucratic culture doesn't support our core values. It sounds like your ... More

good to start a trading career in

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Modern expansive open floor office space w/ glass-wall offices & tall ceilings. Promotes idea sharing.
    - There are some innovative, smart, hard-working people in the firm. General office culture is nice and friendly.
    - Firm tries to uphold a semblance of intra-office social life. There are 3-4 events throughout the year with company anniversary party being the culmination. There are yoga classes, ping-pong and sporadic sports league involvement.
    - In trading the pay tends to be fair (i.e. merit based) even for junior personal. Jr Trader has a chance to make good money under the right circumstances in year 2 on the job.
    - Bonuses are predictable to a reasonable extent in trading (not so much in tech).
    - Competitive base salary in the tech department.

Cons

- Entrepreneurial nature of the top management. This falls under cons because of the number of curtailed initiatives over the years. I can count around 40 of such failed initiatives off the top of my head (so I'd double that number to get a more accurate estimate). The success rate for these initiatives is less than that of a VC firm and half of them have almost nothing to do with core business. Morale suffers from that, as employees often feel that the leadership is diverting resources and attention from the core proven business fruitlessly.
    - Due to aforementioned culture be ready for abrupt change. (could be a pro for some).
    - For all this change, fundamentally, the firm hasn’t changed too much over the past 10 years. (Option House and one or two profitable strategies traded in the Hedge Fund being the sole exceptions). Incremental improvements happened of course, but that is a natural occurrence for tech-based business.
    - Career progression opportunities for middle management are limited. Historically, people who were brought in for a project or initiative haven't stuck around. One often hears of ideological differences, not enough resources, unclear goals and expectations as the reasons for departure. Home grown middle management often gets moved from successful projects and then either leaves or under performs due to resulting disillusionment & lack of motivation. Partnership seems to have reached critical mass - there hasn't been anyone promoted to partner for around 4-5 years.
    - Unmotivated leadership. Some of the partners seem to be calling it in. They are never or rarely seen to be involved. Sometimes are on sabbaticals. Founding partners are very particular and controlling, so with the high number of partners, lack of motivation is not surprising.
    - It’s generally agreed upon view among the employees that disagreeing with a higher management initiatives is a bad idea, and if you want to have the best chances of comparatively good bonus, you have to support the initiatives and show respect. You do have to present a non-emotional demand here and there to make sure your needs are not disregarded and you are not being "walked on".

Advice to Management

With long term goals in mind:
    - Appear more involved. Especially in things that would make you better equipped to make good management decisions in things you are working on.
    - Keep statements like “it’s a privilege for you to trade my money” or “it is what it is” to a minimum.
    - consider publically commending top performers at all-hands meetings instead of the long-tenured employees. Or maybe a grocery store picture plaques type of approach.

Trader

Former Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I worked at PEAK6 Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, and good technology. Ability to trade what you want and have autonomy. There is plenty of transparency in the pay scale and no one should be surprised at the end of the year.

Cons

Its a big ship, individuals need to be cognizant of the big picture. Personal goals are good as long as they align with the firms vision. It may take more time to prove yourself.

Great technology, very intelligent people, fast-paced atmosphere, and omnipresent desire to succeed.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at PEAK6 Investments as an intern

Pros

The technology available to people is top-level. Everybody is very smart, very driven, and very passionate. The business runs very smoothly.

Cons

They definitely demand a lot from you, but this was never really a con. It makes working there more of something to aspire to than something to expect.