PECI

Updated Apr 20, 2014
PECI – Portland – “PECI”

Phil Welker

Fantastic

ProsGreat environment with plenty of opportunity.

ConsNone to speak of, great company.

Great work environment in mission-driven company!

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros- Friendly and smart co-workers
    - The company seems to promote from within often
    - Management is forward-thinking, and company has a few unique and very marketable products (such as its grocery practice)
    - Great life/work balance
    - New mentoring program seems very promising

Cons- Entry-level jobs (Temps and Project Assistants) can be very boring and mind-numbing. That being said, if the work is easy, you can always take the initiative to find something interesting to do on top of it
    - Some teams seem a bit more hectic and have worse management than others, so your experience at the company will vary wildly depending on this

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm personally very happy with how things are going. Perhaps there are a few products (such as residential) that feel like they are behind our competitors. Please focus on innovation and work more actively to create the EE programs of the future!

My PECI experience has been great...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe people I get to work with on a daily basis. Having joined the company within the last year and knowing what changes had taken place a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very welcoming culture, very open, and with a great work/life balance. I know that is team/role dependent, but the work/life balance and opportunities to improve the PECI culture have been great. Smart people, doing good work, wanting to make a difference. There seems to have been a lot of improvement made to morale - competitions, events, chances to showcase your creativity (thanks to PECI's L&D team that created an Art Gallery for everyone to choose to display their creative work) and there's a positive outlook on the company moving forward. Having been in a previous role that lacked any respect from upper management, it has been a nice change to feel welcomed by the executive team. While everyone works hard, there is more laughter in the hallways than there has been in a long time. The culture is on the upswing and I hope more people can see that.

ConsIt might be because I'm still fairly new, but I'm not sure I can think of any cons right now. I have heard and read other reviews about the company, but so far I have experienced only positive things at my time at PECI.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs to any management, be as visible as you can to your employees. Continue making an effort to get to know those that may not be at your level. We're all here to make a difference and want to further improve the culture!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really nice people and relaxed atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPositive Energy very cordial staff

ConsThey have no idea what they are doing on any level

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that others may know something of value to contribute

Great people, but most underutilized due to incompetent Senior Management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood work-life balance, flexible schedules, nice location and building.

ConsSenior management is arrogant for the most part and lack a clear direction. Morale seemed to be on a downward slope since the Feb. 2012 layoffs, with good reason. Learning opportunities close to nil.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight be a good idea to talk to your employees instead of constantly reshuffling and writing fake glassdoor reviews (“Becoming more like a startup! Great outlook! Awesome people!”)

Eternal contractor

Customer Service (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLaid back environment, solid team leaders, great training.

ConsThere is NO path to success that takes less than a year. Contractors are told they could work over a year before ever getting hired on yet are trained as if they work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry building a success track and hiring a staff as opposed to outsourcing your labor to save money. If you treat people like servants, they'll act like servants.

Dysfunctional Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe flex hours and casual wear.

ConsHigh employee turnover, constant reorganization, lack of employee advance, poor senior leadership, too many management levels, lost vision and direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the entire senior leadership team and HR Dept.

Review of PECI

ProsInteresting, challenging work with mission-driven teammates.

Consmicromanaging, overwork, long hours and office politics

Good opportunities for career path

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsWork / life balance - rarely had to stay later than 5p
    Great group of people, close team
    Good perks - 401K, insurance, etc.
    Compensation is pretty good for a nonprofit
    Have intrinsic rewards - saving the world

ConsUnstable when I was working there a couple years ago

Still not quite there...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsWork / life balance is great.
    Industry is still growing and the utility companies are stable partners.
    Lots of opportunities for improvement.
    Many great people going above and beyond.

ConsSome departments seem focused on the blame game and finger pointing.
    Top level executives don't always relate a clear vision for three or five years out.
    Some departments undergo a series of constant change which can be unsettling.
    Role confusion is widespread.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're losing a lot of good people. Reassure those who are here (and who you want to keep) that they are valued. Go out of your way to show them the "plan". Do a little management by walking around and actually speaking to people.

Worked for PECI? Contribute to the Community!