PECI Reviews

Up and Down

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at PECI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good time off, location, growing industry.

Cons

Leadership doesn't make an effort to get to know everyone; top heavy, senior management has weakened in recent years.

pretty office

I have been working at PECI

Pros

Nice view and great restaurants down stairs

Cons

all people need to be working towards same goal

Overall, a good employer, but not without hiccups

I have been working at PECI

Pros

PECI is a great place to work because of the talented teams, smart people, and great culture. Had I stayed longer, I would have definitely moved up into a manager role. Work-life balance is good, and flexible. I was able to work from home, went for runs at lunch (enabled by the locker rooms on the first floor!), and socialized with my colleagues. Again, I can't stress the great culture enough.

Cons

Compensation isn't quite as good as it could be, but PECI is technically a nonprofit. In that sense, they pay well above industry average for a nonprofit. The team I was on didn't do a good job of saying "no" to the client, and that made for a stressful work environment. We were frequently putting out fires, rather than proactively managing the client.

Frankly, there's too much upper management. There's too much management in general, and not enough people doing the work. Eliminating a few layers would streamline the company, and encourage growth within the ranks. Smart, motivated people want to, and do, work at PECI. Give them the space to grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic

I have been working at PECI

Pros

Great environment with plenty of opportunity.

Cons

None to speak of, great company.

Great work environment in mission-driven company!

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at PECI full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly and smart co-workers
    - The company seems to promote from within often
    - Management is forward-thinking, and company has a few unique and very marketable products (such as its grocery practice)
    - Great life/work balance
    - New mentoring program seems very promising

Cons

- Entry-level jobs (Temps and Project Assistants) can be very boring and mind-numbing. That being said, if the work is easy, you can always take the initiative to find something interesting to do on top of it
    - Some teams seem a bit more hectic and have worse management than others, so your experience at the company will vary wildly depending on this

I'm personally very happy with how things are going. Perhaps there are a few products (such as residential) that feel like they are behind our competitors. Please focus on innovation and work more actively to create the EE programs of the future!

My PECI experience has been great...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at PECI full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I get to work with on a daily basis. Having joined the company within the last year and knowing what changes had taken place a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very welcoming culture, very open, and with a great work/life balance. I know that is team/role dependent, but the work/life balance and opportunities to improve the PECI culture have been great. Smart people, doing good work, wanting to make a difference. There seems to have been a lot of improvement made to morale - competitions, events, chances to showcase your creativity (thanks to PECI's L&D team that created an Art Gallery for everyone to choose to display their creative work) and there's a positive outlook on the company moving forward. Having been in a previous role that lacked any respect from upper management, it has been a nice change to feel welcomed by the executive team. While everyone works hard, there is more laughter in the hallways than there has been in a long time. The culture is on the upswing and I hope more people can see that.

Cons

It might be because I'm still fairly new, but I'm not sure I can think of any cons right now. I have heard and read other reviews about the company, but so far I have experienced only positive things at my time at PECI.

As to any management, be as visible as you can to your employees. Continue making an effort to get to know those that may not be at your level. We're all here to make a difference and want to further improve the culture!

Really nice people and relaxed atmosphere

I worked at PECI

Pros

Positive Energy very cordial staff

Cons

They have no idea what they are doing on any level

Trust that others may know something of value to contribute

Great people, but most underutilized due to incompetent Senior Management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at PECI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, flexible schedules, nice location and building.

Cons

Senior management is arrogant for the most part and lack a clear direction. Morale seemed to be on a downward slope since the Feb. 2012 layoffs, with good reason. Learning opportunities close to nil.

Might be a good idea to talk to your employees instead of constantly reshuffling and writing fake glassdoor reviews (“Becoming more like a startup! Great outlook! Awesome people!”)

Eternal contractor

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I worked at PECI as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, solid team leaders, great training.

Cons

There is NO path to success that takes less than a year. Contractors are told they could work over a year before ever getting hired on yet are trained as if they work there.

Try building a success track and hiring a staff as opposed to outsourcing your labor to save money. If you treat people like servants, they'll act like servants.

Dysfunctional Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at PECI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The flex hours and casual wear.

Cons

High employee turnover, constant reorganization, lack of employee advance, poor senior leadership, too many management levels, lost vision and direction.

Replace the entire senior leadership team and HR Dept.

Worked for PECI? Contribute to the Community!