PFG Ventures

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.1

Greg Muzzillo

What a refreshing change!!

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented , reliable and fun team and atmosphere. Since the departure of a few office cancer personnel, it's exciting to see how positive and fun it is to work here! Glad they're gone and am sure they're reading this, since the troublemakers seem to be the ones who love to come on here and complain. Good luck to you and hope the grass is greener on the other side.

Cons

For the most part, they're all gone! Of course, there's always room for improvement, but this company consistently has done just that.

Good job

Very poor leadership

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time for less than a year

Pros

The business model is an attractive one to the franchisees. If you can change the support center environment and keep your forward-thinking and bright staff, there could be room for a lot of positive growth.

Cons

The support staff here are completely managed with fear. Our roles and responsibilities change frequently based on how Greg feels or whatever idea he has that day. There is little value placed on employees feelings, goals, or feedback. It is made VERY clear (through actions & words) that the company Owner feels we are all replaceable and acts as though he's doing us a favor by allowing us to work here. There is a very non-progressive and old school mentality of sitting at your desk from 8-5, keeping your head down, and never voicing concerns or opinions. The Owners can be very demanding, rude and entitled; it's as though they forget there are hundreds more requesting the same items.

I suggest conducting exit interviews and actively making changes. Maybe you personally feel stuck and wouldn't consider leaving, but the younger staff know their experience and voices can be more valued elsewhere. Even if you prioritize the franchise owners first and foremost, it's to their benefit to have a happy and motivated support stuff. This is the most depressing and oppressive work environment I have experienced.

Awful Place to Work

Current Employee - Support Center Staff  in  Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Support Center Staff in Independence, OH

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pros listed in other comments is probably because the Founder and/or CEO told them to. They are notorious for asking employees to lie to make them look good.

Cons

Poor moral. Dysfunctional culture. Hostility in the workplace. Leadership team members bad mouth past and current employees. There is no backbone from any management team member...specifically the president. The Founder and CEO are underhanded operators.

Get some backbone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company with solid resources.

Current Employee - Owner
    Current Employee - Owner

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time

Pros

Proforma is a great company for the self-driven type person. They do offer tons of training, marketing, coaching, conventions and regional meetings. No capped commission structure makes earnings unlimited.

Cons

Not a good company for someone that can't be accountable to themselves.

Give more advice on profits in addition to revenues.

it was ok

I worked at PFG Ventures

Pros

pay was good and thats all

Cons

messed up hrs and stuff

n/a

Not recommended - but read my disclaimer*

I worked at PFG Ventures full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Because of the large amount of work on employees' plates (often more than one or two job's worth) you do have the opportunity to learn a great deal. This comes in the form of experience (because you'll be a one-man show,) multi-tasking, time management and the ability to grow thick skin. Its quite the open joke that if you can 'make it' as a sub-standard employee at Proforma, you'll be a rock star anywhere else you go.

Your co-workers at the support center are fantastic and many of the franchise owners are great too.

Cons

I would not recommend this to a job seeker for many reasons:
    - Being threatened, screamed at and sworn out by the founder - leading to constant fear of being fired at the drop of a hat/swing in his mood
    - While I mention some of the franchise owners are great, many treat the support center poorly. The company backs these common practices and will always side with the franchise owners. In the end, the franchise owners know they can (and will) treat you like personal assistants and will threaten to "go to Greg" if you dare challenge them
    - Watching the founder and members of executive team openly talk poorly about employees (past and present.) Being asked if you're stupid, moron, loser.
    - Pay raises feel non-existent. One year, all employees were told sales were down and raises couldn't be given. This was the same year the founder and his wife showed up with matching his and her Bentleys. No, I'm not joking.
    - The company boasts being ranked a "top place to work." This is because the founder tried bribing the employees to fill out the survey with a bias. He promised cash and bonus vacation days if Proforma made the top of the list.
    - Unprofessional office environment
    - Common rumor around the office is that this site/reviews have led to many cancelled interviews and no-shows. Not surprising, a few 'great' reviews mysteriously appeared on this site just after that time. Do not be fooled by the hand that is likely behind those 'glowing' reviews.
    - The overall culture of the company is tired and stressed. Employees are forced to wear motivational 'dog tags' about dreams and tacky name tags. Unfortunately, this is after you realize that the only dreams that matter are those of the franchise owners and those name tags...the founders favorite line is to say "only losers have a job where they where name tags."
    - There are certainly 'lifers' at the company but you can guess that they work in the departments that the founder does not have his hand in. (So, if you plan to interview for a role on the 1st or 2nd floor, perhaps give it a shot. Avoid 3rd floor positions at all costs.)
    - I have personally seen turnover in the marketing teams (hate their boss,) IT teams (no direction and years of work on a sub-par system) and every sales position in existence (high goals, low rewards)

Living in Cleveland, I've been approached many times by people who are interested in a job opening there and my advice is always the same. Don't do it.

* The views expressed are my own opinion.
    #Theywontlikemyreview #Idontwanttogetsued

They all know what they need to do but are unable because they, too, are under the thumb of the founder. My advice to them is to be brave, face change and polish up your resume. There are so many of us that have escaped and gone back out to the 'real' world. It is life changing. To be honest, it will take you many months to acclimate to how a normal business is ran. It will take time to realize that you won't get yelled at for a small mistake, even better, you won't get in trouble if something goes wrong and it wasn't even your fault to begin with. You too, will soon be able to tell your 'war' stories of life at Proforma and will start to wonder, how did you make it as long as you did.

Wonderful business model, good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel opportunities
    A great stepping stone in the marketing field
    An incredible amount of networking
    HR tries to keep employees engaged and interacting with one another
    Plenty of PTO and Vacation

Cons

A little tight on the 8AM desk time
    Pressure can be high, but what job doesn't have that?

A little more flexibility in hours to create a better work/life balance.
    Advancement is key in any position, or else people are more likely to leave.
    Do not create a culture where employees are made to feel like they should fear the founder. He's really not a bad guy!

Terrible ethics

I worked at PFG Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

it's hard to find many! Staff, with the exception of the executive team, is the company's best attribute. People are willing to help each other out whenever needed, most times as an ear to bend because there are so many miserable people.

Cons

No real training provided, everything runs on a fire drill, no growth, below average salaries, bad leadership team, office gossip that stems from the executive team, no consideration of a work/life balance - especially for the teams that travel. Emails are expected to be responded to, even if its late into the evening. It is a fear-driven work environment with BAD ETHICS. The Best Places to Work ranking is even a lie - management does not let the employees vote. They only allow the franchise owners they know will vote in their favor. I would never encourage anyone to work here. In fact, I would highly discourage anyone from even applying.

Listen to your staff. The turnover rate at this company is higher than anything I've ever personally experienced or have heard of. Push back on the CEO because you know its not ethical. Treat your employees with an ounce of respect, people work hard.

Great, entrepreneurial place for opportunity and growth

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Proforma is a place for people with ideas. Opportunity is always available to those who can think outside the box and provide value, which is empowering. Very balanced leadership by the executive management team. Most are incredibly approachable and excellent leaders.

Cons

Honestly, the best group of people I've ever worked with. Fast-pace may intimidate some, but others (such as myself) enjoy it.

Consider more work from home opportunities/flexibility.

No trust in staff, poor executive direction

I worked at PFG Ventures full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people (sans executive team) really are great to work with, most of which have the same goal: to get out.

Cons

This is coming from a past employee who left on great terms with the company.

Executive team doesn't know how to manage. They simply demand, no matter what it takes. The money this company spends on unnecessary items instead of putting it into their own employee's pockets is astonishing. The CMO doesn't even have her highest degree in marketing. The Founder speaks to Support Center Staff as if they are slaves. He degrades them in front of others and shows little respect, if any at all.

There is no place for creativity. No place for ideas. Management doesn't care, nor hear, your ideas, recommendations, suggestions or complaints. It all gets brushed under the rug. It is sad to me that with the extremely high rate of turnover, STILL no one is looking to figure out WHY. Instead they are just looking to fill the roles at a lower pay rate and with someone who has absolutely no back bone and no moral compass. Way to go Proforma.

Stand your ground with the Founder. Almost every executive team member claims their hands are tied and they have to answer to the Owner. This isn't Communism (though it often feels that way). Get a back bone and stand up for what you believe in. If he has an extremely uninformed or uneducated idea, TELL HIM. Stop running the company, and more importantly the valuable employees, into the ground.

Worked for PFG Ventures? Contribute to the Community!