PFG Ventures Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Vera Muzzillo

Great opportunities and great people!

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunities available in the expanding Tampa location are plenty! There will be many positions opening soon due to growth and expansion, not turnover, as new roles currently not existing at this location become available. The Founder, CEO and Executive Team members like to encourage a "family" atmosphere and expect dedication and loyalty, as any family would. The Founder is colorful, energetic, and passionate about the company he built and the CEO is warm, insightful, and passionate on continuously improving. It is an exciting time to be a part of Proforma!

Cons

There tends to be some communication challenges with having the Support Center in Cleveland and an expanding office in Tampa, but as time goes on, this seems to be getting better.

Review of Corporate Headquarters

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I worked at PFG Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many qualified people, company events, and opportunities for philanthropy

Cons

Leadership team does not get along, alot of unprofessional conversations had out in the open, below industry standard pay, Owner and CEO have no respect for anyone, lack of HR Support, long term employees were threatened that they had to write good reviews on here, hence the abundance of good reviews with similiar dates.

Advice to Management

Leadership comes from above. It is vital for department heads to provide a united front and share common goals, day to day operations should be left to the experts that were hired and not steam rolled by the Owner, CEO, or President. Let people do the job they were hired to do.

3. A good place to develop great skills if you are a hard worker with good work ethics

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time

Pros

the company likes to promote from within whenever possible which gives people who are hard working and intelligent an opportunity to grow and develop powerful skills. If you can make tough decisions, lead a team, maintain professional relationships and handle the pressure of a fast paced environment then you will thrive and likely find comfort here. The people who have a good attitude and work hard become very close which creates a great team work environment. the team I work on is close knit, celebrates family events, shares sorrows and joys with each other and support each other when it's needed. this is a great group of people and I'm happy to be a part of the team.

Cons

If you don't like to work hard, or smart, and often attract or thrive on drama then this is not the place for you. No, this place is not perfect, but I'm not sure what JOBS are. We work hard, and we sometimes work long but I believe most of the management appreciates it and acknowledges it. There is not a lot of planning that goes on, we are very responsive and sometimes impulsive but it's worked so far... but if you need a PLAN to be successful, you won't do well here. Flexibility, adaptability and creativity are what work here.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve. Show the employees that they are appreciated and continue to reward those that excel. We've been reassured the company is NOT moving to Tampa, but expanding to Tampa, which is not unheard of... expansion is great for company growth, so continue to be open and transparent and happy employees will stay put.

Positive, encouraging work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Direct access and training from a man who built a $400+ million company - Great colleagues & co-workers who love coming to work - Lots of training opportunities - A start up environment so everyone is running on full throttle - Tons of upward mobility and opportunities for anyone in on the ground floor

Cons

- Long sales cycle and tough sales process - Waiting on getting a permanent office location so we're in small storefront offices right now. Once we get a new location, this will turn into a Pro.

Do you like to be berated, unappreciated and made to feel like an idiot? If so, this is the place for you!

Former Employee - Web Developer/Programmer
    Former Employee - Web Developer/Programmer

I worked at PFG Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got paid on a regular basis. Note, I didn't say I got a raise. I'm only saying I did not encounter any problems getting a paycheck as promised.

Cons

This company has no concept of work/life balance. You will be taken advantage of if you are any good at your job. You will be required to work nights and weekends with no comp time. My job was threatened if I balked at working extra hours. "If you don't like it, I will help you make your exit strategy." My job was also threatened when someone else on my team screwed up. True story: The entire team was lined up and berated in front of other employees. My manager had zero management/people skills. Training was promised when I was hired and was never received. Turnover was a HUGE problem in my department. After four years, the entire department turned over and was rapidly making a complete second turnover. Appearances are very important at Proforma. How you look to franchise owners is WAY more important than how you actually work. Programming specs were sketchy at best, consisting of an array of buzz words in no particular order. If you did not interpret the specs correctly, or heavens forbid, if you were to ask a question about the specs, you were made to feel like a moron for not reading their minds. Non-performing coworkers were kept around for far too long. A coworker slept each day and was offered a raise when he quit. There was also an alcoholic coworker who smelled of liquor and had unpredictable behavior. He was given too many chances to get it together, he was employed for months. I will wrap this up review with three words: nepotism, favoritism and cliques.

Advice to Management

Telling employees they will be fired if "fill in blank" does not motivate them. This happened to me personally more times than I can count. This only creates job insecurity which hurts employee health, makes people burn out, and reduces job satisfaction and performance. The day I quit I felt a weight lifted off my chest. Get some leadership training.

Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at PFG Ventures

Pros

It is a good hardworking close knit group of employees who, in true entrepreneurial spirit, help out whenever needed. There are high expectations but it makes you a better professional. HR and the executives support various activities to bring fun into the workplace. In my particular department there is abundant co-worker and management support. The business is strong

Cons

It is a stringent work place without opportunity for flex time or the ability to work from home.

8. Glad I have been part of Proforma

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company requires you to think like a CEO. You need to be able to come across any situation and act in a creative way that is a realistic solution for the company. Very little micromanaging, but you are expected to get results. If you are motivated and can creatively solve situations and understand how to grow a business successfully this is the place for you. Great growth opportunities for individuals and a wonderful support staff.

Cons

It you struggle with the ability to come up with creative solutions and just expect to be told every answer to every situation you won't do well. If it is a challenge to interact with Proforma's Franchise Owners, you won't do well. But if these items don't bother you, you will thrive. Expect to deal with so many different situations, you need to be flexible.

Advice to Management

Continue to be positive to employees, they are the front line of communication to so many different critical parts of Proforma.

9. A great company that can help you grow professionally!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Independence, OH

I have been working at PFG Ventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Proforma has been a great place to work at for a variety of reasons - entrepreneurial in nature, great business model and great people. If you're willing to put in the work and be dedicated to improving yourself, evaluating processes and being a thinker, not just a doer, Proforma is a right for you. Proforma breeds a culture of improvement through experience. If you sit back and expect to be promoted for simply having tenure, then Proforma may not be a fit. You've really got to embrace the culture and go out and grab what you want whether that be a promotion, raise, etc. In my experience, Proforma has been a place that promotes from within. Going from a specialist to management role isn't out of the realm of possibilities. I've even seen individuals expand from one department to another depending on their skills and desires. Overall, I've had a great time working at Proforma. Many of the ideas I've had with relation to the programs I manage have been implemented which is a great feeling. I genuinely feel like my voice is heard and that I am valued as an employee.

Cons

The landscape of today's job marketing sets expectations that may not be realistic of every employer. Not every company will have on-site child care or allow flex time. While this can be a nice perk of many employers, Proforma does not offer these types of job perks. That isn't to say that they won't at some point in the future, as this has been an ongoing discuss amongst Proforma's Support Center Advisory Counsel which is the sounding board for the staff.

Advice to Management

I feel that management does a good job of working with their team, Proforma's executive team and the Owner network. There are times when things are challenging and they do a good job of helping to set expectations and deliver what's promised. My advice would be to keep doing what you're doing.

Great people, poor company

I worked at PFG Ventures

Pros

The people here are great. Co Workers and managers depending on the department are great. My manager allowed flex time for appointments/family matters and I was accommodated easily as a nursing mother.

Cons

You should know that the reviews from mid February came from the CEO asking seasoned employees to please review Proforma/PFG in a positive light on Glass Door. He read the reviews and was angry at them. There is alot of truth to the negative reviews. The company as a whole is very cheap. I was grossly underpaid for the work I did. Raises were laughable. They spend alot of money on things to me that are trivial to get proforma to look better. For example every month they get new door posters totaling a $1000 each month. These are for themed activities going on in the building. How about taking that $1000 each month and dividing among st the employees. Instead of the sorry excuse for a raise you give us each year.

Advice to Management

I understand our franchise owners are the bread and butter of this company, but please don't forget about the Support Center employees who bust their butts for you. Care more about us, better raises, Christmas Eve off, Day after thanksgiving off. Better benefits.

Great company for winners. Not for whiners.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at PFG Ventures

Pros

Proforma is a fast growing company. The business has been around for over 35 years and is still run by the Founder and his wife. The company has grown for a small start up to almost $500 million in sales. Now the company is talking about growing to $1 billion and beyond. This continued growth offers great job security and advancement opportunities for hard working achievers.

Cons

If hard work would be considered a con, then so be it. Employees are expected to contribute to the success of the company with hard work and dedication. If you are looking for a 9 to 5 job this place is not for you. If you are looking for a hard charging, entrepreneurial company with lots of opportunity to grow and learn, I encourage you to check it out.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating the Support Center Advisory Council. Not many companies offer a real voice to their employees. Thanks for listening to us and letting us create some of the fun things we do month to month, too. Don't worry too much about the negative rankings here. They are from mostly very short term people who were not right for the company. You cannot make everyone happy.

RSS Feed </> Embed