PFSweb

PFSweb Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2014

PFSweb Chairman, President, and CEO Mark C. Layton

Mark C. Layton

Wants to be a west coat startup but locked into old school processes.

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at PFSweb full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices. Health and wellness program. Supportive upper management. Mostly smart people are employed with the exception of a few departments.

ConsMiddle management is full of employees that have been with PFSweb for years making promotions for new workers almost impossible. Middle managers are promoted based on the years they've been with the company, not their skill at management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at your middle management and their skills at managing teams. Promote managers that have a track record of success and pay less attention to years of service.

PFSweb

Computer Operator (Former Employee)

I worked at PFSweb full-time for less than a year

ProsMy time there was okay.

ConsVery fast pace place to work.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great team, excellent products, highly dedicated people, plenty of advancement potential.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PFSweb full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people are excellent. From the top down and bottom up, they cultivate a positive, supportive work environment, and the attitude is one of success and advancement. Employee programs including fitness/wellness, training, recognition, and clear advancement paths indicate they really value their team members.

ConsPeriodically long hours are required for major projects. These are offset by employee awards, recognition, and comp time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and expanding.

Sr. Analyst

Senior Accounting Analyst (Current Employee)
Allen, TX

I have been working at PFSweb full-time for less than a year

ProsNice building and company perks.

ConsDisrepectful, unorganized, unstructured, and confused leaders. Highly Stressed, unhappy, and angry co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on mentoring, and nurturing your employees. Value your assets=your people

Third-party call centers always suffer the same problem... being cheap.

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at PFSweb full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall enough and growing fast enough to provide advancement opportunities.

ConsCheap contracts with their clients wins business, but means that the pay rate for agents is VERY low. Some of the contracts do not include paying for training or management, so the company skimps on both, leaving too little support for agents.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually bid a reasonable amount so you can pay for the support the agents need.

I had a terrible experience.

Quality Assurance and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at PFSweb full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI made friends that i will knows for years to come. I was developed my own skills as a csr and took my skills to my new job.

ConsTerrible management- they do not follow their own rules and they do not treat people how they want to be treated. Terrible work ethic and the company IS JUST TRYING to survive ... THEY ARE NOT flourishing/ appreciating the people who make their company work on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementREAD ABOVE

The experience at PFSweb was not what I expected.

Call Center Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at PFSweb full-time for less than a year

ProsThe location of the call center. Working for a company that supports so many diverse business models.

ConsThe training for new hires was very poor planned, this was a new client for the company but from my call center experience the trainers did not seem knowledgeable at all. The leadership in the department I was in were reactive instead of proactive to issues. Pay was very low and as a result the quality of employees was the same. No screening of new hires. Literally filled out application and got the job no interview. Very poor hiring practice. Did not take the time to interview so staff for this new client had very poor attitudes and the client expressed this. Matrix for quality control was set so high and with poor training set people to fail. Promoted those who were not worthy with no work experience in a call center. People who were put in these positions only there for who they were friends or extra nice too.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you take on a client research more. Hire a staff who wants to be there not just filling the seats. Don't be reactive to poor quality calls be proactive and actually train people. I am not sure how they have the other clients and failed with the one I worked for. I had more experience then at least 65% of the leadership group. People were put in these roles because of who they knew and had lunch with. Promote based on knowledge and past work experience.

Avoid if money permits.

Administrative (Former Employee)

I worked at PFSweb

ProsCan't think of any. It;s just a job, I guess not a career.

ConsThis company is a hot mess in all sense of the word. They do not care at all who they hire. I believe they look for people who come from bad backgrounds like south dallas and poorer areas and pay them between 10-11.50. The calls are horrible and some accounts I would avoid as much as possible. There is a huge amount of black and gay people hired here. I don't really care about that but it's a huge influx of blacks in the main call center and white in the management department. Trainning is bad, and a majority of the people here are extremely unprofessional. I saw three woman put in hair tracks in the lobby of the building. You JUSt DONT do that at any company. Turn around is horrrible almost 60% every year. That means every year 60% of the people you began to work with will not be there at the end of the year. It is always extremely easy to be hired on due to the high turn around rate. Just apply in person or with prostaff and you will hired one during the holiday season. However i would not recommend this company. Again pay for call agent is between 10-11.50 not less. With the insurance taken out you will be making less per hour. Over all, you have better luck at a good job with Albertsons or Korgers than here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people get better results. Hire a ghetto mess get a ghetto mess result

silly

Call Center Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at PFSweb

Prosthe pay was normal, location accessible

Consmanagement are dumb
no benefits
pay could be better

Advice to Senior Managementtake the advice of the employees instead of firing them over some bull posted on social sites

I'm not sure where I'm going but hopefully they will get their act together.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at PFSweb

ProsCentral location with easy acess to highways and byways. Nice facility with building maintenance and security. Human Resources available on a daily bases. Computers setup and networked for good communication with co-workers and performing the job. Morales is focused around the employees checking their attitude at the door. You only have to do the best you can on job tasks and duties. Quality Assurance is highly focused on meeting the demands of the client and making sure the agent is receptive to one on one reviews. Avaya phones systems are setup to be used which gives the agent good time management focus. Intranet is used to assist the agent in keeping their knowledge focused on updates weekly from the clients prospective. Management does assist employees with hand outs and attend to agents when you raise your hands high in the sky.

ConsThe training session was unorganizated and lacked qualified trainers in my opinion. New employees and contractors were fired on the spot if found sleeping during breaks or if their cell phones were seen during training classes because PFSwebs policy is no cell phones or sleeping on the job. The Corporate culture is hard to adjust to because they are very layed back not as approachable. Poor communication is somewhat shown from management its obvious they seem to not use all of their resources. I do not like their 6 point system which marks you late even if you are one minute late. In my opinion, the team leads are chosen unfairly because they come right out of the training classes with everyone else which means their salary is in the same range as the agents. Sometimes you are graded on things which the company hasn't completed but management and Quality Assurance do expect you to just acknowledge what is presented. I have experienced being talked down to instead of talked to like an adult. Supvisors are too booged down with work which they do not have time to talk to customers on the phone or really mold their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly define what your company culture is by being inclusive of all employees which dedicate themselves to your company. PFSweb should want people that is going to be loyal to your company. Take criticism from your employees they are doing the work you don't have to perform so offer them something for moral on those things they do well on. Create a formal management training class for those in management even those chosen to be Leads in leadership roles. Learn to analyze the full scope of the business and clients needs before making a decision to think that your suggestion is better in handling internal incidents. Refrain from talking down to employees instead of encourging them to perform better or offering them an alternative on how to do things. Eliminate the culture of gossip it destroys a business because when someone starts the gossip eventually it gets back to those who started it in bad light. Try to minimize the conflict. Conflict is used to empower groups not to exclude those wanting to be valuable employees. Communication is broken at PFSweb. Microsoft Outlook is not offered to agents so they are not connected to the company in this electronic age even if it was connected offline but internal only it would be better. Another problem with communication is announcements of changes it is never communicated just an immediate change only news sought is from down the grape vine. When information is received it is something that is not right. Initate a true branding and mission plan for those working with you to strengthen your business entity with your competitors. Finally, try not to ask employee to do things that you will not do. Meaning if you want a perfect staff make sure you as management are adhering to the same rules of engagement. If employees can not use cell phones at work management or eat at work stations you should not either or if management enlist to distributing handouts in a rough draft form do not think its acceptable because management want it to be considered a final when a thesarus or dictionary could have been used.

Worked for PFSweb? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PFSweb reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PFSweb CEO Mark C. Layton. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by PFSweb employees.