PGA National Resort & Spa Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
K. Jay Weaver

1. Cool place to work at!

Pros

People are great to work with. Get to meet a lot of people.

Cons

Low pay but for the job it equals out due to the benefits.

Advice to Management

Get more structure.

2. Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at PGA National Resort & Spa (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you can get hired as a director, the pay is great. Great staff in all areas, gifted, fun and hard working. Lots of events and interesting people pass through there on a daily basis.

Cons

Like so many others, ownership tends to expect more from less. Staff levels are always an issue and this creates stress from frontline employees which results in heavy turnover.

Advice to Management

Understand you can't have it all. Short handed staff, no matter how talented, can not be everywhere all the time. This leaves gaps in service levels and this is reflected in guest surveys.

3. BagRoom

Pros

playing benefits and connections with members

Cons

employees have attitudes, supervisors don't do much

Advice to Management

don't hire sketchy people

5. Winter employee/bag drop

Former Employee - Bag Drop
    Former Employee - Bag Drop

Pros

Good job for a young golf pro looking for seasonal work

Cons

Would not work here year round, with tips included bag drop makes much more than the professionals

6. Overall, a good place to work; poor leadership ruins it.

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed working here. I worked with some great people, I had fun on the job, and I was able to get some great references in the process - and it looks great on my resume. I feel that I learned a lot while working here.

Cons

There are people working here who invest more energy trash talking other managers, instead of working with them or coming to an agreement. It is counter-productive and seems to create a disconnect between departments, instead of working like a well oiled machine like it should be. I also got the feeling that a lot of the employees here were uncomfortable with management. I do not blame them for feeling that way, as I have seen many examples of poor leadership. I have a different management style.

Advice to Management

It is not a sign of weakness when people come to you for guidance, concerns, or questions. You didn't get to where you were without doing those things yourself.

7. Care more about numbers than employees

Former Employee - Therapist in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Therapist in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at PGA National Resort & Spa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, professional place to work.

Cons

They don't value their employees. They are trying to show profitability by pushing as many customers through the facilities as possible using groupon's and other specials. Since they do not have to pay hourly pay, they over schedule the number of therapists needed and under sell the services.

Advice to Management

Worry about your workers, as they are your money.

8. Outstanding Four Star Resort to work for!!!!

Former Employee - Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at PGA National Resort & Spa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are the backbone of the resort. General Manager is great to work for. Great golf perks for employees.

Cons

The understanding of the work ethic (work hard, do a good job, and do well in the company) does not follow up the chain to the owners. I've never seen anything like it. It's probably because it is privately owned. Think twice if you are looking for job security!!!!

Advice to Management

I have watched upper management let other managers go that were excellent employees time and time again. These were managers that have worked there for years and had an exemplary record. The resort is now known as the "PGA Revolving Door". There is no feeling of job security there.

9. Overwhelmed and underpaid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at PGA National Resort & Spa full-time

Pros

Exciting environment that has a great group of employees to work with. Good benefits package.

Cons

Management are often stretched beyond their capacity as an employee. They do not offer competitive salaries or regular annual raises. Holidays are considered part of your Paid Time Off Plan instead just a holiday.

Advice to Management

Promote from within always first. Offer raises so that management is encouraged to stay rather than leave.

promised promotion within company, once executive chef left you're forgotten.

Current Employee - Saucier in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Saucier in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at PGA National Resort & Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff I encountered on daily business were more than happy and pleasant, however the majority of the culinary staff were horrible.

Cons

staff looks down at new comers, complain to superiors when you do a better job than they do, pay is OK. 80% of culinary staff is JADED.

Advice to Management

even though you have workers that have been there for 10+ 15+ years, it does not mean they are qualified to stay employed. it's time to put them out to pasture, and bring in young, none-jaded, happy, culinarians to your business.

11. Fantastic Place to work!!!

Current Employee - Hotel Supervisor in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Hotel Supervisor in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Pros

Loved every minute of it! The staff and the facility are top notch! Flexible schedules and gold priveleges!!! Highly recommended!

Cons

Multi - cultural diversity makes it a requirement to sometimes work holidays suck as Christmas and Thamks giving. Other than that....great!

Advice to Management

mY ADVICE WOULD BE TO KEEP UP THE AMAZING JOB THAT YOU ARE ALREADY DOING. lOVED IT THERE TO SAY THE LEAST!

RSS Feed </> Embed