PIH Health Reviews

3.1
CEO

1. Nice place

I have been working at PIH Health

Pros

Great co-workers, helpful friendly staff

Cons

Not many open positions to apply for

2. Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stability. A place you can be long term. Expanding. Contrary to other reviews that report opportunities are scarce, the simple fact they continue to add wings/buildings is enough to refute that.

Cons

Pay is subpar with the remainder of the industry. Benefits as of 2015 are giving employees reason to hop on Glassdoor to see what else is out there. Benefits that were once fantastic have become expensive ....in 2013, it was $0 for office visits .... Today a whopping $40. Overall compensations to include pensions have become subpar. ... Yet they continue to pour millions into new buildings.

Advice to Management

Management fails to acknowledge that PIH's success derives from those at the bottom to mid-level management. Executives are at-will just like the rest...fail to take care of your employees by compensating them well and you'll find higher turnover and less-than satisfactory patient ratings as patient care will suffer. I'm starting to see the turnover...it's only a matter of time the hospital begins to see the negative effects. Donors and the board may need to re-visit with those steering this ship. Last thing anyone needs is another Titanic on their hands.

3. Culture

Former Employee - Manager, Middle
    Former Employee - Manager, Middle

I worked at PIH Health

Pros

Nice co-workers. People support each other and are willing to work together for a common goal.

Cons

Consistant fear for security of your position.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

Finally an Employee After Working at PIH Health for Years

Current Employee - Director in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined PIH Health in a new full time role after having worked as a contractor for nearly four years. When the opportunity presented itself, it was an easy choice for me. I've had the pleasure of working with dozens of PIH Health employees at all levels on numerous projects through the years. There is a common theme that bonds all team members: put patients first. This vision is carried out in everything PIH Health does. I've seen first hand the improvement in the facility itself, the push to improve critical services, and the growth of the hospital itself including the acquisition of Downey Regional Medical Center and the opening of numerous new clinics. At the end of the day though, PIH Health is a great place to work because everyday is challenging and different, yet there are a lot of "A" players supporting you to help you overcome whatever obstacles may be hindering your success.

Cons

While there is a ton of opportunity at PIH Health, there are not always a lot of open positions. Job applicants need to be persistent. However, waiting for the right opportunity is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue putting patients first.

6. Great organization

Current Employee - Nursing Manager
    Current Employee - Nursing Manager

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and committed leadership team. Everyone focuses on the patients.

Cons

Change in the pension plan

Advice to Management

Keep growing! There needs to be more hospitals with this kind of quality.

7. Rooted

I have been working at PIH Health

Pros

Great organization with much room for growth.

Cons

We have to use Vacation days if we want to be paid for holidays.

8. Engaging Organization

Current Employee - Management in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is open communication about the strategy and how employees connect to the strategy. The transparency is refreshing. It is easy to have your ideas heard.

Cons

Sometimes those who don't want the organization to evolve get in the way. Organizations must evolve to survive. We can't stay the same.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth and business development.

Patients first

I worked at PIH Health

Pros

Patients came first based on verbal philosophy

Cons

Finances were the key focus, not employees.

Disorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Patient care is certainly a focus. I love working here, I just wish it was stable.

Cons

The company is unstable right now. There is a lot of change and people, good people, are loosing their jobs. The systems in place are not working. Management has people running in circles trying to meet goals with systems that don't work. The systems in place need to be reconsidered, not the medial record, the interfaces.

11. Pray your hospital/facility is not bought by this unnecessarily aggresive organization

Current Employee - Mid Management in Downey, CA
    Current Employee - Mid Management in Downey, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Medical benefits are great. Buying power when you have a large number of employees.

Cons

Aggressive upper management. Unclear goals, unrealistic workloads.

Advice to Management

If you are in the unfortunate position of being part of the "package" of employees they've inherited, you will not be listened to. You will be ridiculed, put-down and belittled to the point where you will wonder how the hospital/facility was ever able to operate without them. They will, however, take what they need from you before unceremoniously terminating you with feigned sadness. CEO should be more aware of how the employees are treated by his hand-picked upper management. Your patients are friends and family members of these good people and hear all about the poor treatment.