PIH Health Reviews

CEO

1. A true family like culture

Current Employee - Management in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Warm welcomes throughout the hospital, employees often stopping to ask if you need help, beautiful facility, unlimited growth opportunities, PIH Health university onsite, strong employee pride and an unbelievable reputation in the community. Executives are very transparent, innovative and strive to come up with ways to help grow the organization even through the most difficult healthcare challenges ever faced. Cafeteria is amazing and so is the Starbucks like coffee shop on the main floor. They recently opened a park for employees, patients and families to enjoy. Amazing family practice doctors and specialist that squeeze you in if it's an emergency. Benefits are fantastic, great wellness program and lots of discounts. One of the top volunteer programs but not a surprise since volunteers were the foundation of this organization.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is more conference room space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Sr Health Information Clerk

Current Employee - Senior Health Information Clerk in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Health Information Clerk in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at PIH Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community help
    The Shannon family

Cons

Opportunities to advance is rarely given
    Annual raises are a joke

Good to work here....most of the time

I have been working at PIH Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hospital is always busy. Patient care/experience is first and foremost in the minds of everyone

Cons

don't have enough time to finish assigned work

Advice to Management

try to understand the work process of your employees so you can fully understand if you change something will it really work.

Very busy community ER

Current Employee - Emergency Department Technician
    Current Employee - Emergency Department Technician

I have been working at PIH Health

Pros

Always busy ER, you will never get bored. Some very experienced staff.

Cons

Management is a bit ehh. Some employees will make you want to quit. Little cliques in the department. Sometimes you won't have all the resources you need. Sometimes understaffed.

Advice to Management

ER really needs a transformation and fast. Stop pushing the staff to get in as many patients in a day. We need more staff period.

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA

I worked at PIH Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the staff is pleasant, but there are clear favorites in the group.

Cons

Expectations from management are simply not based in reality. My group lost 30% of its staff within a 6 month window and we were not allowed to replace them. Simultaneously we kept being assigned more and more work with impossible deadlines and the expectation that everything be vetted and prefect. The organization as a whole is facing a lot of challenges and the pressure and stress is showing.

Advice to Management

Take a step back, evaluate the capacity of your staff and stop playing favorites.

It was a nice place to work until new management team "clique" arrived

Current Employee - Employee in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been able to gain valuable experience and knowledge through the years. Given opportunity for advancement through own initiative. Most employees treat you like family and welcome you.

Cons

If I hadn't taken the initiative, I would not have been given opportunities for growth.
    Some management show favoritism. Others will ignore those employees who are not performing their job duties which affects other employee's productivity.
    Cafeteria food selection needs a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Follow established PIH processes and procedures. You may had different ways of doing things at other organizations, but first change the process here instead of ignoring them. Be transparent to both employees and other management staff.

8. Nice place

I have been working at PIH Health

Pros

Great co-workers, helpful friendly staff

Cons

Not many open positions to apply for

9. Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stability. A place you can be long term. Expanding. Contrary to other reviews that report opportunities are scarce, the simple fact they continue to add wings/buildings is enough to refute that.

Cons

Pay is subpar with the remainder of the industry. Benefits as of 2015 are giving employees reason to hop on Glassdoor to see what else is out there. Benefits that were once fantastic have become expensive ....in 2013, it was $0 for office visits .... Today a whopping $40. Overall compensations to include pensions have become subpar. ... Yet they continue to pour millions into new buildings.

Advice to Management

Management fails to acknowledge that PIH's success derives from those at the bottom to mid-level management. Executives are at-will just like the rest...fail to take care of your employees by compensating them well and you'll find higher turnover and less-than satisfactory patient ratings as patient care will suffer. I'm starting to see the turnover...it's only a matter of time the hospital begins to see the negative effects. Donors and the board may need to re-visit with those steering this ship. Last thing anyone needs is another Titanic on their hands.

Culture

Former Employee - Manager, Middle
    Former Employee - Manager, Middle

I worked at PIH Health

Pros

Nice co-workers. People support each other and are willing to work together for a common goal.

Cons

Consistant fear for security of your position.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

Finally an Employee After Working at PIH Health for Years

Current Employee - Director in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Whittier, CA

I have been working at PIH Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined PIH Health in a new full time role after having worked as a contractor for nearly four years. When the opportunity presented itself, it was an easy choice for me. I've had the pleasure of working with dozens of PIH Health employees at all levels on numerous projects through the years. There is a common theme that bonds all team members: put patients first. This vision is carried out in everything PIH Health does. I've seen first hand the improvement in the facility itself, the push to improve critical services, and the growth of the hospital itself including the acquisition of Downey Regional Medical Center and the opening of numerous new clinics. At the end of the day though, PIH Health is a great place to work because everyday is challenging and different, yet there are a lot of "A" players supporting you to help you overcome whatever obstacles may be hindering your success.

Cons

While there is a ton of opportunity at PIH Health, there are not always a lot of open positions. Job applicants need to be persistent. However, waiting for the right opportunity is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue putting patients first.

RSS Feed </> Embed