PKF International Reviews

2.5
John Sim

1. Audit senior

I have been working at PKF International full-time

Pros

Work-life balance. The company never lay off employees even during economic downturn. PKF has open environment, which makes it easy for employees to speak up

Cons

Benefit package need to be more attractive. Client base was mostly small, and unorganized companies, whose accounting system is very messy.

Advice to Management

Coaching and mentor program should be developed. More transparent about company's compensation and benefit. Offer better compensation to attract talents.

2. Audit department in San Diego Office

Former Employee - Accountant/Auditor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant/Auditor in San Diego, CA

I worked at PKF International (More than a year)

Pros

Small office will allow you to work on various types of engagements

Cons

Salary not comparable to other small firms in area. Have high turnover and have trouble replacing staff. We tried to fill a senior position the entire time I was there. Management will make you feel incompetent, offer you no formal feed back. On a random day of their choosing you will be called into their office and be handed a laundry list of reasons why you suck at your job (and it seems like at life for that matter.) No incentives to pass CPA exam or obtain license. I paid all study materials and exam fees out of pocket and was never compensated for any of it ( Over $2,600). I keep close contact with people in the office and they tell me morale is at a all time low. Miserable experience.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in complementing your staff for their hard work. Boost morale by showing appreciation of staff and value their hard work and efforts

Not bad for public accounting

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at PKF International full-time

Pros

Lots of perks. Free parking, beverages, Wednesday breakfasts, lunches during busy seasons. Bonus for getting your CPA and all professional expenses covered. The best thing about the company is that it feels like a family. The firm does a lot of extra activities and events so it feels like a very social place. Hard work and quality work is recognized. Seniors, managers, and directors will tell you when they are pleased so it is nice to know that you are not working anonymously.

Cons

Work/life balance is tough here. But I guess it's the same all over in public accounting. If you're doing this, you pretty much have to accept that you will have no life 6 months out of the year, and then maybe more than that. If you want to move up here you will have to do more than just put in your time, you really need to go the extra mile. And you will only be expected to give more of yourself if you want to move into management. My major issue with the workload is that sometimes management is so project driven that one or two people will end up working 70+ hours while the rest of the staff are walking out the door at 4pm. I'm still trying to decide if this is really where I want my career to go or not. I'm still trying to decide whether this

Advice to Management

Promotions to management are rare because of turnover at the staff level. I think that the management of the firm needs to realize that it is indicative of a problem when they have to hire so many managers from outside the company.

5. Was a better place to work in the past, not so great in the present.

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

4 weeks vacation, catered lunches during busy season, free beverages, free parking and catered breakfast every Wednesday. Even though I've been dissatisfied overall for some time now, I still believe that the firm President has his employees' best interests in mind and just has issues with communicating that in an effective manner to the junior staff.

Cons

Over the last couple of years, there seems to have been a shift in the overall work environment and attitude in the office. I find much of the change in the tax department due to turnover, but can't really speak to the other departments. When experienced employees choose to leave they are typically not replaced, leaving the remaining employees to pick up the slack. Management's solution seems to be bringing on new hires every 6 - 9 months with little to no experience to bump up the overall head count but without addressing the issue of inexperience. This creates a stressful work environment for the remaining employees as we are often left without experienced staff/seniors to help out on the more complicated projects. Another frustration comes from the constant implementation of new processes or procedures that management doesn't follow or enforce. I feel it would help solidify the tax department if the people making the decisions and guiding the department were made to follow the same rules as the rest of us.

Advice to Management

When an employee leaves, hire someone to fill their position at the same level. Hold the higher-ups accountable for following their own rules. Open communication is key. At a departmental level I would rather feel connected to the decision maker(s), even if the issue/decision was not favorable to me, rather than be left wondering if management is even aware of the issue.

My experience has been positive while working at PKF. I have been given challenging projects to work on.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The opportunities I have been given to learn have made this job challenging but rewarding. This is not a place for someone who cannot deal with pressure. Public accounting is that way, though. When I have needed to be off due to family or my own health circumstances, my manager has stepped in to take over. I love my coworkers.

Cons

I am not sure that there is a downside. Public accounting is hard and I know some of my coworkers gripe about it and don't like the hours but I do not see how PKF could change that.

Advice to Management

Keep trying and learning just like the rest of us are.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

job stability, 4 weeks of vacation, and friendly co-workers/management.

Cons

No work life balance whatsoever, promises are made and not kept while they continue to string you on in hopes of using you to complete jobs in an unreasonable amount of time. The pay is not commensurate with the amount of hours and you would be better off going to big four if you're going to work that much.

Advice to Management

Change the way you deal with your employees and for once be sincere about your promises instead of just giving lip service.

8. If you want to be in public accounting, this is the place to go.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

The culture at our firm is so different than anywhere I have worked before and it is great. Management really strives to give their employees what they want and to make a difference. Employees have a voice in the firm and Management listens. Granted, they can't do everything, but I feel they genuinely care and want to make us happy.

Cons

Busy season hours can still be a lot of hours. It's not like the Big 4, but it still is public accounting so 50 hour weeks can still be expected sometimes.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. They ask us to do a lot, but they don't do the same. They want to, but it can be difficult. If they set an example, we'll follow. If they aren't do what they ask of us, why should we do it?

9. salary

Former Employee - Intern in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Former Employee - Intern in Nairobi (Kenya)

Pros

Good experience and rotation of departments

Cons

some days can be ideal for several hours

10. Audit Senior

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at PKF International (More than a year)

Pros

Multi-cultural and dynamic environment that develops inter-personal skills.

Cons

Need to consider work-life balance. Appreciation based on skills rather than on duration of engagement can be helpful.

11. Experience the gain of knowledge the fun way!

Former Employee - Paid Assistant in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Paid Assistant in Bangalore (India)

I worked at PKF International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Knowledge improvement and opportunity to work with one of the best team members and partners in the industry. To be able to work with top companies as the client provides the right amount of exposure as an intern

Cons

I have not experienced any downsides during my internship or during my employment with this firm as they always stood beside me

RSS Feed </> Embed