PKWARE Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
V. Miller Newton

1. Overall Good Company Culture and Stable Business, But No Significant Growth in the Near Future

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture and understanding of a casual but professional environment. Miller has done a great job of creating a relaxed work place where people can feel comfortable to express their opinions and be themselves while still getting their work done. He also recognizes people's hard work and achievements at all levels in the company, which shows that you're an important part of the company regardless of your role in it. Friday Happy Hours are a great perk and make us feel appreciated. What I enjoy most about them is getting to talk to people that I otherwise wouldn't since our jobs don't require a lot of interaction.

Cons

There seems to be a revolving door of new employees. The turnover is very high for such a small company which makes it feel like we're not getting anywhere. It seems like the last few years have been a waiting game for all the stars to align so we can start to grow exponentially. None of the major shake ups (cleaning house of unnecessary positions, new management team, new selling/marketing strategies, new product, etc) seem to have done that yet. Our main products have reached maturity and will likely continue to support our business, but I don't see big growth with the current strategies in the near future.

Advice to Management

Find a good strategy and stick to it. In the same regard, know when something (or someone) is failing and cut your losses sooner. I realize both are easier said than done, but that's what needs to happen to be successful.

You take the bad with the good

Former Employee - Sales in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at PKWARE full-time

Pros

Great client companies (F100 to F2000). Product is well known and the client base is large. Security of data independent of the IT environment is a great concept to sell with lots of client testimonials. Good people in the working units who support sales efforts. Competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

Senior management is controlling and not very motivational. Turnover has been high both in management and sales. Not enough investment in core products to keep up with competition. Minimal bottom up opportunity to be heard, which results in poor morale and cynicism amongst the teams.

Advice to Management

Get input from the field (thus from the clients) about how to improve and better integrate the solutions (plug and play). Create a plan to get back on track vs. the competition. Product design is such that this change would be very cost effective and reasonable in terms of time frame. Larger clients have reasons to talk with you, listen to them, especially in IT, security and finance. Try to have some fun along the way!

They had a great run

Former Employee - Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at PKWARE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology back in the day.

Cons

Difficulties adjusting to the changing marketplace and convergence of other security solutions.

5. Fired up for the new fiscal year.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The technology does not break, it is practically bullet-proof. Our customer service team are like the Maytag repairmen. Great brand for the over 45-50 age group - our target market. Just had our annual sales meeting and the prospects couldn't be better. Everyone is I work with is fired up to work the enterprise deals. It's gonna be great year. Great decision to join the team. Perfect place to be.

Cons

I don't know how customers aren't beating our door down to get our technology. I guess things haven't been done very well in the past, but the new management team will have us hitting all cylinders soon.

Advice to Management

Product pipeline looks outstanding. Account management discipline is the way to go. Loved the inspirational discussions this week, hit a home run. As you said, don't look back, we are where we want to be and looking forward to great things.

6. Good company, dynamic culture

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at PKWARE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward leaning data security tech company, strong management team, good prospects

Cons

Headquartered outside of typical tech geographies, some volatility in the management team

Advice to Management

Execute the expressed plan

I worked at PKWARE recently, but am not there now

I worked at PKWARE full-time

Pros

Software culture, casual dress code, great people to work with. Milwaukee is a great city.

Cons

CEO controls everything and doesn't know how to run a software company. Micromanagement is the common practice and people aren't listened to.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and understand what challenges they have and what they need to be successful.

8. Great People, old product

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at PKWARE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at PKWARE are hands down the best group I have ever worked with. They have solid ideas on were to take the company.

Cons

While they are striving to be relevant again with new products, they fall back on the old standby products. They are going through growing pains and seem to get derailed.

9. Outstanding Organization

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong executive team! Collaboration and teamwork truly exist! Great benefits. Very fair compensation. I have the tools to do my job.

Cons

I can not think of any. The negative reviews, I truly do not believe those people.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep communication lines open, please.

10. One of the best places I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Historic Company..... invented the .Zip file Flexible work environment Good pay and benefits Smart coworkers..... ever worked somewhere there weren't? Makes a difference! Interesting work Good people

Cons

Growing pains... PKWARE is in the process of retooling, people need to remember some things take time

Advice to Management

Remember the ones who carry the water

11. Great company for true professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging fast paced environment Great brand name Smart hard working dedicated employees Best SE in industry

Cons

Challenge bring new products to market New Management and corporate restructuring

Advice to Management

Decide the companies path and stick to it.

RSS Feed </> Embed