PKWARE Reviews

Updated May 8, 2014
Updated May 8, 2014
3.2

V. Miller Newton

Overall Good Company Culture and Stable Business, But No Significant Growth in the Near Future

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture and understanding of a casual but professional environment. Miller has done a great job of creating a relaxed work place where people can feel comfortable to express their opinions and be themselves while still getting their work done. He also recognizes people's hard work and achievements at all levels in the company, which shows that you're an important part of the company regardless of your role in it. Friday Happy Hours are a great perk and make us feel appreciated. What I enjoy most about them is getting to talk to people that I otherwise wouldn't since our jobs don't require a lot of interaction.

Cons

There seems to be a revolving door of new employees. The turnover is very high for such a small company which makes it feel like we're not getting anywhere. It seems like the last few years have been a waiting game for all the stars to align so we can start to grow exponentially. None of the major shake ups (cleaning house of unnecessary positions, new management team, new selling/marketing strategies, new product, etc) seem to have done that yet. Our main products have reached maturity and will likely continue to support our business, but I don't see big growth with the current strategies in the near future.

Find a good strategy and stick to it. In the same regard, know when something (or someone) is failing and cut your losses sooner. I realize both are easier said than done, but that's what needs to happen to be successful.

They had a great run

Former Employee - Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at PKWARE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology back in the day.

Cons

Difficulties adjusting to the changing marketplace and convergence of other security solutions.

Fired up for the new fiscal year.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The technology does not break, it is practically bullet-proof. Our customer service team are like the Maytag repairmen. Great brand for the over 45-50 age group - our target market. Just had our annual sales meeting and the prospects couldn't be better. Everyone is I work with is fired up to work the enterprise deals. It's gonna be great year. Great decision to join the team. Perfect place to be.

Cons

I don't know how customers aren't beating our door down to get our technology. I guess things haven't been done very well in the past, but the new management team will have us hitting all cylinders soon.

Product pipeline looks outstanding. Account management discipline is the way to go. Loved the inspirational discussions this week, hit a home run. As you said, don't look back, we are where we want to be and looking forward to great things.

Good company, dynamic culture

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at PKWARE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Forward leaning data security tech company, strong management team, good prospects

Cons

Headquartered outside of typical tech geographies, some volatility in the management team

Execute the expressed plan

I worked at PKWARE recently, but am not there now

I worked at PKWARE full-time

Pros

Software culture, casual dress code, great people to work with. Milwaukee is a great city.

Cons

CEO controls everything and doesn't know how to run a software company. Micromanagement is the common practice and people aren't listened to.

Listen to employees and understand what challenges they have and what they need to be successful.

Great People, old product

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at PKWARE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at PKWARE are hands down the best group I have ever worked with. They have solid ideas on were to take the company.

Cons

While they are striving to be relevant again with new products, they fall back on the old standby products. They are going through growing pains and seem to get derailed.

Outstanding Organization

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong executive team!
    Collaboration and teamwork truly exist!
    Great benefits.
    Very fair compensation.
    I have the tools to do my job.

Cons

I can not think of any. The negative reviews, I truly do not believe those people.

Continue to keep communication lines open, please.

One of the best places I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Historic Company..... invented the .Zip file
    Flexible work environment
    Good pay and benefits
    Smart coworkers..... ever worked somewhere there weren't? Makes a difference!
    Interesting work
    Good people

Cons

Growing pains... PKWARE is in the process of retooling, people need to remember some things take time

Remember the ones who carry the water

Great company for true professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging fast paced environment
    Great brand name
    Smart hard working dedicated employees
    Best SE in industry

Cons

Challenge bring new products to market
    New Management and corporate restructuring

Decide the companies path and stick to it.

You'd Be Better Off Unemployed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at PKWARE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-There's an abundance of empty desks to choose from now...
    -There are a few good people left to work with.

Cons

-Abusive company culture that values getting rid of the good and promoting the bad.

-They have fired so many people that there is hardly anyone left... and the good people who did survive are leaving in droves.

-What is left of the management team has no respect for subordinates, treats employees like children, and shows blatant bias toward specific individuals.

-Management is untouchable. No matter what happens, know that no one will hear your complaints. Ethics are out the window here. If they violate laws or do unethical things, no one will do anything about it. Don't bother filing a complaint with management or HR, as you can pretty much expect retaliation for doing so.

-It's a "good-old-boys-club," but just being a man doesn't make you immune...you have to be the right kind of man.

-No matter how good you are, you will never be valued.

Get a new CEO... because the one in power has run the company into the ground.
    Learn to respect and value employees. They are your number one asset.
    Yelling and screaming at employees with the door open or in front of others should be avoided.
    Don't take yourself too seriously.
    Expect your job to be eliminated as soon as they can sell what is left of the company.