www.lcb.state.pa.us

CEO

Steady work.

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PLCB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and pension close to home.

Cons

Dealing with the general public.

More over time.

Easy Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PLCB part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was an easy job and the pay is good for part-time work. Employees are friendly. Nice job to earn a little extra money.

Cons

Old management was fun and friendly. New management goes by the book and micro-manages everything. It got to be annoying.

If someone continues to fill in and be available when you short-handed, return the favor when they need a day off or would like to change their schedule.

Very limited potential for growth

Current Employee - Clerk I in Levittown, PA
    Current Employee - Clerk I in Levittown, PA

I have been working at PLCB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, recession proof job. Somewhat vacation and sick leave compensation benefits available after some time.
    P.S. don't expect to get a bonus at the end of the year :)

Cons

Poor management, weak benefits, looks like all relatives of many Pa families work at the same organization and for me, it's shady, because they cover each other and State owned organization works in reality as "cosa nostra". Very bad management practices.

I work at Bucks County, PA. Urgently recommend to keep an eye on one of the district managers (Sarita Broadnax). She is responsible for big company's employee turnover because of her unethical management practices.

Do more with less.

I have been working at PLCB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Better paying than most jobs in the area, though it's offset by the fact that everyone is hired part time initially except in one or two counties. Most holidays off (State job).

Cons

Overworked employees. Extreme swing shifts. Staff cutting. They want you to do more work with less people. Phasing out full time employees and replacing with part time only.

Start backing up your employees, show some appreciation for the hard, and I mean HARD, work they do. It's a back breaking job and there is no kind of appreciation given. Deliveries of 800 cases for 2 people to unload is abuse. Extreme swing shifts are hard on employees. Cutting staff makes it impossible to keep shelves stocked, orders filled and customers happy. Upper management should try working in a store so maybe they could get a clue. The ordering and POS system are just that, a p o s. Instead of trying to make a failed system from another company work, they should have invested the money and had one coded specifically for us. Wasting money on Solutions 21 programs and aprons that look juvenile and secret shoppers (we are a monopoly, it's wasted money, there is no competition); those monies could be put to better use HIRING PEOPLE TO WORK THE STORES. There really is no need, if a store is staffed properly, to send people all over the county for work, we don't get paid enough to afford the gas. They're running the place into the ground and it's a shame.

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Tannersville, PA
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Tannersville, PA

I worked at PLCB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good employment opportunity for someone with minimal work experience and education. Good pay, comfortable working environment, steady and manageable working hours. Time and a half for overtime/holiday pay. Off for all the major holidays since its state run.

Cons

Starting out as part-time is very tedious. Only guaranteed 18 or so hours a week, of which you could be required to travel to any of their stores located in the county, often for shifts as little as 4 hours. Takes 4-6 months or longer to become full-time. Possibility of privatization for PA liquor stores makes long-term career outlook very unstable.

I worked at PLCB

Pros

For those who are looking for seasonal or part time work it is a good organization to work for, The pay and work environment is great.

Cons

If you like to spend time with your family especially on the weekends the job may not be for you. They recently stopped new part timers from being able to become full time. When their peak season is over they will more than likely cut your hours.

Let your employees know that they are a valued and appreciated.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Part Time Clerk in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Clerk in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at PLCB part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked as seasonal help since I graduated high school. Great place for seasonal work for college students. Good pay for retail. Nice coworkers.

Cons

The state is always talking about privatizing and it is very stressful for the employees.

A good place to work, depending on your store

Current Employee - Permanent Part Time Clerk in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Permanent Part Time Clerk in Scranton, PA

I have been working at PLCB part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good for a part time cashier/stock clerk job. Many of my coworkers have become my friends and generally hours are flexible. Dress code is pretty relaxed, polo shirts and khakis for men, blouses for women.

Cons

Like any job, it can be monotonous. Heavy lifting is a big part of the job.

Tell us when you plan to change things, don't just spring things on us

I was a Dedicated, Hardworking, Loyal, Passionate Wine Specialist and got treated like I was a step child

Former Employee - Wine Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Wine Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at PLCB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being able to interact with customers who love and have a interest in wine. Helping others select different wines and helping them discover new wines.

Cons

The way you get treated by management and higher ups and how your dedication and hard work gets unnoticed

Start treating the hard working people who are dedicated and loyal who work for you and love everything about their job with more respect and gratitude!!!!!!!!

Was a great job experience, when working with the right people.

I worked at PLCB

Pros

Gain understanding of alcohol laws in PA

Cons

Promotions based off of who has applied for them not performance or ability.

Hire and promote the people who will do the best job.