PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Reviews

3.3
Donald McPhee

1. Good place to work

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

Firm work environment and management is very good.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive for family coverage

2. Lots of opportunities however.....

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and okay health/savings benefits. Training is offered, maybe not in the past, but firm is trying to keep up. Increase in communications from partner level.

Cons

Culture was great but it has drastically changed. Compensation package is unfair. No real bonus program, but you get to work a lot overtime. Good talent leaves and the work loads are unevenly spread and never addressed.

Advice to Management

With the changes in culture don't expect to keep great people. Also treat all employees fairly, stop the favoritism. Partners that claim work/life balance should stop being so demanding after work hours, appreciate the fact employees will work that time, but stop the abuse.

PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Response

Jul 1, 2015 – Managing Partner

Public accounting is a difficult career choice and often time demanding. I understand public accounting can be frustrating and appear to be unfair when expectations are not met. Although we do not ... More

3. Great company. Effectively develops professionals for advanced work and future assignments.

Current Employee - Partner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, diverse client base among middle market clients. Manageable work hours and good benefits

Cons

Requires over time work during busy season. Needs to enhance evaluation process.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow growth of professionals and opportunities for advancement.

Getting Better!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has recently gone through a lot of changes which makes for some hectic moments, however this is understood by management and they take this into consideration when dealing with employees (or me at least). I'm a big culture guy and this management team expects hard work but they really do care about you providing for a nice environment. It's a stressful job so the lack of added unnecessary culture stress that you find at a lot of other firms is a big relief. They understand that life happens, and that you have to deal with it (I haven't found this at every firm). My benefits here are some of the best I received from tons of a vacation time, great insurance, 401k matching. I think you work on harder returns here than most firms this size, so the challenge is both frustrating and rewarding. Lastly, they listen, more void of ego than other firms I've worked at their desire is to make the processes easier and the firm better, not even two months in they would give consideration to my little inputs (again I haven't found this everywhere)... The new(er) PIC has a good vision and I think from my humble opinion will be taking this place in the right direction..

Cons

Changes, while they are tying down their processes this can be quite frustrating.. Understaffed, which they are currently working on

Advice to Management

Keep it up..

6. Tax Department

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX

I worked at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay with a nice environment

Cons

No training and no plans on training.

7. Partner Behavior Modification Needed

Pros

Some knowledgeable and talented partners work(ed) at PMBHD. A few were great to work with. They were supportive and instructive.

Cons

There were partners who were very unpleasant making the environment extremely toxic.

Advice to Management

Hire well. Pay decent wages. Embrace the Golden Rule.

PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Response

Oct 11, 2014 – Managing Partner

Inappropriate behavior by a partner or any employee is not tolerated by the Firm. The Firm has a process within our Human Resource function to receive such notices so as to take appropriate and ... More

PMB IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Excellent life-work balance for a public accounting firm or for that matter any company. Partners are approachable and have a genuine desire to grow and expand the Firm. Managers are exceptional, skilled, and wanting to assist staff and seniors. Fair compensation (including bonus), opportunity for advancement (Partnership Development Plan), and great benefits (health plan, 5 weeks paid time off, 401K with 3% contribution, training).

Cons

As expected in public accounting, there can be long work days during busy season. However, the hours during busy season are not nearly as grueling as most make it out to be. The rapid growth and expansion of the Firm resulted in many changes, adaptions and challenges which for some employees resulted in a difficult work environment.

Advice to Management

Recognize the challenges of rapid growth faced by your employees over the past couple of years. Keep on the course you set out at the beginning of the year by focusing on a positive culture, communicate openly with your employees on your direction and expectations, stabilize your growth, and continue to build a great Firm.

Auditor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible work environment. There is NOT the stress of the Big 4 here (any current employees that say that have not worked in the Big 4)! Work life balance is respected and encouraged (five weeks of vacation given with three of those preserved around major holiday weeks - we aren't scheduled during those weeks so we can ACTUALLY take them - that doesn't happen in other public accounting firms. The partners have an open door policy and are very concerned about upward movement of their people, training and respect everyone. There is a path to partnership that is laid out and discussed. Not hidden like the other public accounting firms. I would be happy and proud to have any of my friends work here!

Cons

It is public accounting, so yes there is overtime, but even during busy season it is kept to 50 hours. Not too much else to say about cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop your people. Look at this site once in a while - seems like there are one or two disgruntled people taking it out on the firm!

Strong employer

Current Employee - Auditor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, especially vacation. I worked in industry and public accounting previously and not one offered as much PTO. Good work/life balance. There is an open door policy...you just have to speak up and use it. If things are that terrible than let someone know. I've always had positive experiences when I spoke up. If the stress is overwhelming, talk to a manger or a partner. I've never had one turn me away without coming up with a solution. And yes OT is sometimes necessary to meet a deadline but it's nothing like Big Four. You have no leg to stand on with that argument unless you've worked Big Four. As far as compensation, it may not be exactly par with Big Four but at the same time our employees don't pull the same hours that their employees do. The Company's supposed lack of funds to pay bonuses is new to me. My suggestion is to check the firm calendar...they're already scheduled to be paid out.

Cons

Engagements can be stressful, especially when deadlines are tight. But management will work with you on this if it becomes too stressful. Negativity and rumors are a part of any workplace...that doesn't mean they're legitimate.

Advice to Management

Consider addressing negativity openly. Where there is a flame, there is usually a fire and it's much easier to squash it when you deal with the fire in its entirety.

Frustrating to work here. Unable to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO - 5 weeks of vacation Flexible work hours - Can alter your schedule how you need to as long as you get your hours in. 401K - 3% match Wellness Program - sponsors fitness events Outside of busy season there's a great work/life balance.

Cons

-Training doesn't exist. You're handed work and supposed to figure it out on your own. -During busy season, you're forced to work all day, every day but not provided with incentives to encourage you to work the long hours. It's kind of difficult to work 10+ hour days and have to leave to go get meals. Firm acts like a Big 4 without the perks. -Communication is horrible. New procedures and systems are always rolled out at the start of busy season or during the middle, which accounts for the failed execution every time. -Management has created "office hours" which is a limited time where you can ask questions.

Advice to Management

Be willing to train your employees instead of shrugging them off. Be more open and approachable. Actually care about employees progress and professionally develop them. Get the staff's feedback on procedures since they are typically the ones doing the groundwork.

RSS Feed </> Embed