PMB Helin Donovan, LLP

Donald McPhee

Tax Department

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Dallas, TX

I worked at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay with a nice environment

Cons

No training and no plans on training.

Partner Behavior Modification Needed

I worked at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP

Pros

Some knowledgeable and talented partners work(ed) at PMBHD. A few were great to work with. They were supportive and instructive.

Cons

There were partners who were very unpleasant making the environment extremely toxic.

Hire well. Pay decent wages. Embrace the Golden Rule.

PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Response

Oct 11, 2014Managing Partner

Inappropriate behavior by a partner or any employee is not tolerated by the Firm. The Firm has a process within our Human Resource function to receive such notices so as to take appropriate and ... More

They are nice people but they do not hire international students

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP as an intern

Pros

people there are really nice. They will not make you feel uncomfortable during the interview.

Cons

They donot hire international students. So they do not know what is CPT or OPT

PMB Helin Donovan, LLP Response

Oct 11, 2014Managing Partner

The Firm currently sponsors a number of foreign nationals. The Firm's hiring practices focus on matching a potential employee's education, expertise, experience, and potential advancement with the ... More

Auditor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible work environment. There is NOT the stress of the Big 4 here (any current employees that say that have not worked in the Big 4)! Work life balance is respected and encouraged (five weeks of vacation given with three of those preserved around major holiday weeks - we aren't scheduled during those weeks so we can ACTUALLY take them - that doesn't happen in other public accounting firms. The partners have an open door policy and are very concerned about upward movement of their people, training and respect everyone. There is a path to partnership that is laid out and discussed. Not hidden like the other public accounting firms. I would be happy and proud to have any of my friends work here!

Cons

It is public accounting, so yes there is overtime, but even during busy season it is kept to 50 hours. Not too much else to say about cons.

Continue to develop your people. Look at this site once in a while - seems like there are one or two disgruntled people taking it out on the firm!

PMB IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Excellent life-work balance for a public accounting firm or for that matter any company. Partners are approachable and have a genuine desire to grow and expand the Firm. Managers are exceptional, skilled, and wanting to assist staff and seniors. Fair compensation (including bonus), opportunity for advancement (Partnership Development Plan), and great benefits (health plan, 5 weeks paid time off, 401K with 3% contribution, training).

Cons

As expected in public accounting, there can be long work days during busy season. However, the hours during busy season are not nearly as grueling as most make it out to be. The rapid growth and expansion of the Firm resulted in many changes, adaptions and challenges which for some employees resulted in a difficult work environment.

Recognize the challenges of rapid growth faced by your employees over the past couple of years. Keep on the course you set out at the beginning of the year by focusing on a positive culture, communicate openly with your employees on your direction and expectations, stabilize your growth, and continue to build a great Firm.

Strong employer

Current Employee - Auditor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor in Austin, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, especially vacation. I worked in industry and public accounting previously and not one offered as much PTO. Good work/life balance.

There is an open door policy...you just have to speak up and use it. If things are that terrible than let someone know. I've always had positive experiences when I spoke up. If the stress is overwhelming, talk to a manger or a partner. I've never had one turn me away without coming up with a solution. And yes OT is sometimes necessary to meet a deadline but it's nothing like Big Four. You have no leg to stand on with that argument unless you've worked Big Four.

As far as compensation, it may not be exactly par with Big Four but at the same time our employees don't pull the same hours that their employees do. The Company's supposed lack of funds to pay bonuses is new to me. My suggestion is to check the firm calendar...they're already scheduled to be paid out.

Cons

Engagements can be stressful, especially when deadlines are tight. But management will work with you on this if it becomes too stressful.

Negativity and rumors are a part of any workplace...that doesn't mean they're legitimate.

Consider addressing negativity openly. Where there is a flame, there is usually a fire and it's much easier to squash it when you deal with the fire in its entirety.

Frustrating to work here. Unable to grow professionally.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO - 5 weeks of vacation
    Flexible work hours - Can alter your schedule how you need to as long as you get your hours in.
    401K - 3% match
    Wellness Program - sponsors fitness events
    Outside of busy season there's a great work/life balance.

Cons

-Training doesn't exist. You're handed work and supposed to figure it out on your own.
    -During busy season, you're forced to work all day, every day but not provided with incentives to encourage you to work the long hours. It's kind of difficult to work 10+ hour days and have to leave to go get meals. Firm acts like a Big 4 without the perks.
    -Communication is horrible. New procedures and systems are always rolled out at the start of busy season or during the middle, which accounts for the failed execution every time.
    -Management has created "office hours" which is a limited time where you can ask questions.

Be willing to train your employees instead of shrugging them off. Be more open and approachable. Actually care about employees progress and professionally develop them. Get the staff's feedback on procedures since they are typically the ones doing the groundwork.

Big 4 hours and stress; Zero recognition by outsiders; Sub-market compensation

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is challenging and varied; regional offices provide opportunity for state and national work; Dallas office is cohesive and cooperative--less so at other offices

Cons

Hours are insane and unlikely to get better; new hires paid vastly better than promoted employees despite management's plan for "organic growth"

Put your money where your mouth is--if you want to stop hemorrhaging talent, start paying employees who've already proven their worth what you offer to people off the street. 14%+ below market is unacceptable in the long run and will cost you. Keep on the track you're setting by removing the current power-mad regime and replacing it with balance. STOP MERGING until existing firms have been brought into the PMB fold.

I enjoy working for PMB Helin Donovan

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Company is always seeking for ways to improve and continue to grow, foreign travel opportunities, monthly happy hour, awesome wellness program (crossfit, running group, etc), one week of training every year in Austin, TX & a chance to work with fun and talented group of people.

Cons

Tight deadlines on some of the engagements as well as lack of timely performance feedbacks.

I like the direction the Company is heading. The future is looking bright for PMB.

This is a good company to work for, and most people here seem pretty happy.

I have been working at PMB Helin Donovan, LLP full-time

Pros

Great career accelerator, great for the resume. I have learned a lot, seen many industries, been to some cool places, and met a lot of people. Plus, I like the people I work with (which gets me through tough times).

Cons

Professional services can be stressful (clients, deadlines, etc...). I think this is the same at any public accounting firm, though.

Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure to communicate with employees as much as possible about what you are doing and why you are doing it.