PMK*BNC

Best Internship Program

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at PMK*BNC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internship program is very hands-on if you have a good supervisor. Every department does pretty different tasks, but if you are in a department you are interested in and have a good supervisor you will love the program. Weekly lunch and learns get you familiar with different departments as well. It is paid to so thats a big plus.

Cons

Wish there was mobility to do hans-on tasks for different departments. Other than that a great internship experience !

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at PMK*BNC

Pros

Those that assigned work always explained what they needed done. Minimal errands to run. I received pay and college credit. A lunch with upper staff was provided as an informational interview session.

Cons

Unfriendly environment - nasty comments made by some upper staff members

It was definitely your typical intern job

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PMK*BNC part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was impressed by how willing my superiors were willing to help. I felt comfortable asking anyone questions. Met some extremely intelligent people, who continue to help me in job applications etc.

Cons

The environment was a bit rigid, it felt depressing at times. Not a lot of communication went on in the office, everything was done over e-mail for the most part

The training here was very useful, loved the intern 101 luncheons, but I felt like the upper management could be somewhat detached from the company at times.

Had no idea what I was getting into...

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at PMK*BNC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The contacts you make there are priceless. It's a great place to know if you want to be in the PR world.

Cons

The environment is not very friendly.

Treat people under you with a little more respect.

Didn't gain much

Former Employee - Entertainment in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Entertainment in New York, NY

I worked at PMK*BNC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is great to observe and there is hope to one day be employed by PMK*BNC. The higher up staff is very lovely and kind to the interns, while most of the other staff is nasty.

Cons

Absolutely no hands on work for interns. Interns didn't learn anything to take with them in order to "gain experience." Was told there was an intern program when in fact there was no program at all and supervisors had to find busy work for the interns.

Brand Marketing and Communications Intern

Former Employee - Brand Marketing and Communications in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Marketing and Communications in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PMK*BNC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Always busy with meaningful work. No running errands. It's PAID. Treated like a part of the team rather than as "just an intern". Leadership willing to help you learn and make the most out of the internship (also make you feel very appreciated - hard work does not go unnoticed!). Intern program has a great structure with Intern 101s featuring executives from each department. One of if not the best internship I have had

Cons

Overall great internship, can't really think of anything bad to say

Fair Warning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at PMK*BNC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People I worked with on my team were really nice, smart and funny. We worked well together. Centrally located. Commute isn't too bad if you live in WeHo, Hollywood, Studio City or surrounding area etc. Breakfast every Friday. Sometimes after events there are cool freebies in the break rooms.

Cons

Clients are extremely demanding and tough. They say jump and the account teams say "How high? Am I doing it right? Should I keep jumping? Is this good enough?" Overall, workload is intense no matter what team you're on. Expect to work long hours, late nights and be on call on the weekends. I worked closely with account teams, and while I didn't travel too much, I did not have a life outside work for the time I was here, including during the holiday season, where I found myself working right up until Christmas Eve even though the office was supposed to be closed. Though my supervisor did the best they could to ease the load, I constantly felt overwhelmed and client and account team demands felt never-ending (even with attempts made to politely push back). There is another review on here that describes this agency as a culture of "mean girls," which I feel encapsulates the environment here perfectly. Situations that shouldn't create stress or anxiety in other organizations do here. Senior employees are able to get away with nasty emails, throw people under the bus (or lash out at them for minor things in meetings), and overall, be rude to the point where some employees were so stressed they were losing their hair. In sending emails to some of them, you never knew what kind of response is going to come back. It made for poor morale and constant headaches. Overall, if you're young, full of energy and want nothing more than to be part of the PR world, I say go for it here. The clients are big name - talent and brand - but if you're even the slightest bit unsure, save your time, energy and life. I've worked at agencies before and there are many out there that while busy, won't take advantage of you and will compensate you much better.

HR and senior leadership need to truly listen to their employees. I can't tell you how many times I've seen colleagues in tears, falling asleep in meetings or complaining about how overwhelmed and overworked they are. It isn't healthy. I understand the clients are demanding and this can be the nature of the business, but in the long run, client's views of the agency and their relationships with the agency will only suffer. It creates resentment, low morale, and high turnover. Either hire more people or pay overtime to anyone Sr. AE level or lower. Conduct annual anonymous employee surveys about how they view team leadership, opportunities for development, and company culture. I think it will help you to understand how to improve things around here.

Experiential Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PMK*BNC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Always Busy I Great learning experience in marketing I Exciting clients I Friendly environment I Great Intern Program I Paid Internship

Cons

I don't really have any cons!

great place to work, with caring CEOs

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PMK*BNC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of opportunity because of high turnover

Cons

high turnover, poorly read workforce

good expansion plan, the place is really filling up

Brand Marketing and Communication Intern

Former Employee - Brand Marketing and Communication Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Marketing and Communication Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PMK*BNC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned at PMK last summer for the brands department and learned a tremendous amount. My supervisors were amazingly helpful and taught me all I needed to know to be successful in an entry level position in the PR industry. They gave me a lot of responsibility early on in my internship and really trusted me and my opinion. I also enjoyed the "lunch and learns" which gave you a lot of insight to each department, although I think the brands "lunch and learn" did not do the department justice. My supervisors also did a great job at making sure I felt like a true employee, I heard complaints from other interns but my supervisors were truly great and gave me so much guidance. Can't express enough how great PMK looks on a resume.

Cons

The intern program is at times unorganized and there is a high turnover rate. Also, when I interned there was no compensation which was disappointing considering that the interns do the same work as an Assistant Account Executive.