PMSI Reviews

Eileen Auen

1. Specialist

Former Employee - (Retail Pharmacy and Mail Order) in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - (Retail Pharmacy and Mail Order) in Tampa, FL

I worked at PMSI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for the company for 10+ years. Lots of great people and opportunity for growth.

Cons

Good people are overlooked for opportunities. The company used to promote based mainly on skill and knowledge of the company. Knowing how everything works and who would be the best fit to make it work better. That along with the real family feel has gotten lost over the years. Promoting newer people because they are liked by a manager instead of promoting the seasoned people to help make the business stronger. There is a feeling that some managers don't want to promote people, for fear of making them look bad if the person has more knowledge of an area. Building a strong and solid team makes a manager look better not worse.

Advice to Management

Look around, make knowing and understanding the business, what every area does and how they fit together, a PRIORITY. The left hand needs to know and understand what the right hand is doing. This is how you make things better. When PMSI was the place everyone wanted to be with and work for, this was how it worked. Working as a team, as a family. Promote based on knowledge and skill and be willing to take a step back and look at training, the way they did in the good ol days, you don't just need to know how to answer the phone to do the job. I know with the restructuring that is going on now it won't be easy, but nothing really good or worth it comes easy. Hopefully what has been lost over the years can be found.

2. Company Changes, but Great Opportunities are Present

Current Employee - Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to provide ideas to better company processes as we are transitioning, quiet, not micro-managed, flexible, casual environment, stress free.

Cons

Some ideas are not easily accepted due to a lack of exposure to other processes or practices that have proven successful, I have not yet seen employee development or opportunities for personal and/or professional growth.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to know your employees individually, make expectations clear to each employee, provide more one-on-one feedback, invest in your employees through leadership and training opportunities as some employees want to grow and advance, offer a salary that is comparable to the employees background and skill set.

3. Leadership struggling to manage priorities with acquisition/merger. No loyalty among teams.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at PMSI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule. Compensation and benefits very fair. Offices are nice.

Cons

Non- existent HR team. Culture is off. Nobody takes responsibility. More time spent finger pointing than resolving the issues. No room for career advancement.

Nov 19, 2014Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback as it is always welcomed and appreciated. Your honest feedback gives us the opportunity to make improvements in the areas that are needed.

Always feel free to stop
    ... More

Burnout

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at PMSI (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, headquarters building is relatively nice. Depending on what department you are in (see below) you may have a different experience.

Cons

During the time I was employed, the company was in high turnover in departments such as IT and Marketing. There was definitely disparity among the different departments. Some employees were acknowledged for tenure of 15 - 20 years with the company, but seemed to be in the call center department or other areas. These employees seemed to normal hours, took lunch breaks, etc, and overall seemed happy with life at PMSI. Then those of us in the pressure cooker departments worked 60+ hours a week, never took lunch, etc. They hired from a pool of laid off employees (like myself) who were just glad to have a job and worked them for all they could.

Advice to Management

Hope that the merger with Progressive Medical is an opportunity to create a better culture.

Always feel free to stop
    ... More

6. Working at PMSI is just a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some executive management is willing to go above and beyond

Cons

Not much room for growth

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

I worked at PMSI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are several long term employees that have been through all the pain points within the business operations that have great feedback and suggestions on potiental process improvements that would benefit the Co (and their day to day job).

Cons

Honestly, I couldn't get out of this position quick enough! I have worked in the Corporate environment for 20 years and have had the pleasure of working with a wide variety of employees- from entry level positions to the CFO/VP executive level. I have to admit, I've never worked with a group of executives that lack such basic common sense. It appears the Co. continues to work "stupid", simply because that's the way it's always been done. I understand that using such an outdated systems can be a road block to many process improvements- but this seems to be the normal excuse for not kicking off a project to improve the business. There is absolutley no accountability held in any department- and HR will appear to be helpful, but will throw you under the bus just like any other termed employee that feels threatened by your aggressive approach to change the business for the better. I believe the long term employees are content in their positions and don't want to deal with changes; which is sad bc I do believe the Co has potiental to be a big money maker if they had the right employees in the right positions.

Advice to Management

Invest in new systems!! The current system you require your accounting staff to use has huge integrity issues and is not user friendly- causing hours to be spend on a single account research (and most cases the information is not accurate); get systems that will allow entry level employees to do their job accuratly and effectivley- if not, you will continue to have large head counts, paying out many OT hours and still not getting the accurate outcome.

Very uncertain future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at PMSI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good location. Good facility. Good camaraderie between employees.

Cons

Extreme micro management. Anticuated systems.

Advice to Management

Care about your entry level and middle level employees they are the ones doing all the work while upper management reap the benefits of great salaries and bonuses.

Fast-Paced, Fun and Fulfilling

Current Employee - Shared Services in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Productive and comfortable work environment. Friendly atmosphere. Lots of fun employee activities and wellness programs held each year. You get rewarded and recognized for your job as much as you put into it. I always have been able to grow through my own merits and efforts.

Cons

Tampa offices are at located two separate locations across town from one another. It would be more harmonious and improve organizational efficiency to have everyone in one location.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work meeting your annual goals

Nov 19, 2014Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback as it is always welcomed and appreciated. Your honest feedback gives us the opportunity to make improvements as our goal is to continue to foster an environment that ... More

10. Current Very Happy Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PMSI works very hard to create a fulfilling work environment. The benefits (Health insurance, PTO, 401K to name JUST A FEW) are above standard, they recognize employees for their hard work and they offer continued education to help in our advancement within the company. Its a friendly environment with an open door policy. I have worked in a few other places in my time, and I have never been happier than I am now. PMSI is the largest and most experienced in the Workers' Compensation industry and they work hard to maintain that distinction. PMSI has a wellness program that is exceptional. They offer associates various organized activities that focus on health, wellness and nutrition. We also participate in charitable programs that benefit our community. PMSI is a top knotch, associate friendly workplace.

Cons

I am very happy here so I don't have alot of "cons". I would say maybe have management do more "one on ones" to keep informed of the general workplace attitudes and environments. If employees feel that their opinions count and are taken into consideration, it makes for a healthier and friendlier work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Promote from within and maintain the open communication.

Nov 19, 2014Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Great learning experience, happy in my role

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary very good
    Work with great teams
    Good work life balance

Cons

Moves at a pace that is sometimes difficult to meet
    Unrealistic delivery dates

Advice to Management

Keep bringing the business in
    Review health benefits and PTO accruals

RSS Feed </> Embed