PMSI Reviews in Tampa, FL

Updated September 10, 2014
2.3

Eileen Auen

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at PMSI is just a job

I have been working at PMSI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some executive management is willing to go above and beyond

Cons

Not much room for growth

Leadership struggling to manage priorities with acquisition/merger. No loyalty among teams.

I worked at PMSI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in schedule. Compensation and benefits very fair. Offices are nice.

Cons

Non- existent HR team. Culture is off. Nobody takes responsibility. More time spent finger pointing than resolving the issues. No room for career advancement.

Burnout

I worked at PMSI for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, headquarters building is relatively nice. Depending on what department you are in (see below) you may have a different experience.

Cons

During the time I was employed, the company was in high turnover in departments such as IT and Marketing. There was definitely disparity among the different departments. Some employees were acknowledged for tenure of 15 - 20 years with the company, but seemed to be in the call center department or other areas. These employees seemed to normal hours, took lunch breaks, etc, and overall seemed happy with life at PMSI. Then those of us in the pressure cooker departments worked 60+ hours a week, never took lunch, etc. They hired from a pool of laid off employees (like myself) who were just glad to have a job and worked them for all they could.

Hope that the merger with Progressive Medical is an opportunity to create a better culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

analyst

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at PMSI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great for a 1st job to get the experience needed to move on to better things

Cons

Culture is a blame culture. There is a complete lack of planning. Company plans are unrealistic. Something at should get 6 months to get operational only gets 3. They expect staff to work day and night. Punished for explaining to management that deadlines are not possible to be met. Instead of getting thing right they are more concerned with putting issues under the rug. Very political environment with daily fire drills (Drop everything for this new thing we promised client without checking for resource planing). Management ignores the biggest problems, a lack of quality leadership. Not to mentor they are merging with Progressive Medical. So that takes the drama to the next level.
    HR refuses to promote. Even when they do promote it is always to your disadvantage. We are going to increase your responsibility 150% but your pay will only increase 5%. Pay is sub-market. A a result, talent is also sub-market.

Hire top talent, pay them market, get rid of entire senior leadership, and get realistic about you asks of your staff.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

I worked at PMSI full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are several long term employees that have been through all the pain points within the business operations that have great feedback and suggestions on potiental process improvements that would benefit the Co (and their day to day job).

Cons

Honestly, I couldn't get out of this position quick enough! I have worked in the Corporate environment for 20 years and have had the pleasure of working with a wide variety of employees- from entry level positions to the CFO/VP executive level. I have to admit, I've never worked with a group of executives that lack such basic common sense. It appears the Co. continues to work "stupid", simply because that's the way it's always been done. I understand that using such an outdated systems can be a road block to many process improvements- but this seems to be the normal excuse for not kicking off a project to improve the business. There is absolutley no accountability held in any department- and HR will appear to be helpful, but will throw you under the bus just like any other termed employee that feels threatened by your aggressive approach to change the business for the better. I believe the long term employees are content in their positions and don't want to deal with changes; which is sad bc I do believe the Co has potiental to be a big money maker if they had the right employees in the right positions.

Invest in new systems!! The current system you require your accounting staff to use has huge integrity issues and is not user friendly- causing hours to be spend on a single account research (and most cases the information is not accurate); get systems that will allow entry level employees to do their job accuratly and effectivley- if not, you will continue to have large head counts, paying out many OT hours and still not getting the accurate outcome.

Very uncertain future

I worked at PMSI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good location. Good facility. Good camaraderie between employees.

Cons

Extreme micro management. Anticuated systems.

Care about your entry level and middle level employees they are the ones doing all the work while upper management reap the benefits of great salaries and bonuses.

Fast-Paced, Fun and Fulfilling

Current Employee - Shared Services  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Productive and comfortable work environment. Friendly atmosphere. Lots of fun employee activities and wellness programs held each year. You get rewarded and recognized for your job as much as you put into it. I always have been able to grow through my own merits and efforts.

Cons

Tampa offices are at located two separate locations across town from one another. It would be more harmonious and improve organizational efficiency to have everyone in one location.

Keep up the good work meeting your annual goals

Current Very Happy Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at PMSI full-time for more than a year

Pros

PMSI works very hard to create a fulfilling work environment. The benefits (Health insurance, PTO, 401K to name JUST A FEW) are above standard, they recognize employees for their hard work and they offer continued education to help in our advancement within the company. Its a friendly environment with an open door policy. I have worked in a few other places in my time, and I have never been happier than I am now. PMSI is the largest and most experienced in the Workers' Compensation industry and they work hard to maintain that distinction. PMSI has a wellness program that is exceptional. They offer associates various organized activities that focus on health, wellness and nutrition. We also participate in charitable programs that benefit our community. PMSI is a top knotch, associate friendly workplace.

Cons

I am very happy here so I don't have alot of "cons". I would say maybe have management do more "one on ones" to keep informed of the general workplace attitudes and environments. If employees feel that their opinions count and are taken into consideration, it makes for a healthier and friendlier work environment.

Keep up the good work. Promote from within and maintain the open communication.

Great learning experience, happy in my role

I have been working at PMSI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary very good
    Work with great teams
    Good work life balance

Cons

Moves at a pace that is sometimes difficult to meet
    Unrealistic delivery dates

Keep bringing the business in
    Review health benefits and PTO accruals

Good place to fall asleep

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at PMSI for more than a year

Pros

You do not have to work very hard or do overtime in many roles. Other roles are worked too hard so it just depends. You can make a fair wage while not doing much.

Cons

Spiderwebed out dated systems and no real vision to make improvements. If you are intillectual you will need to check your brain at the door.

There are some really talented people that could be of great use if those in management with the overblown egos and insecurities were made to learn managment skills. Stop picking the loudest most aggressive people to manage and try to look at who is getting forward thinking results.

Worked for PMSI? Contribute to the Community!