PMT Ambulance

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
1.8

John Wilson

Growing but not necessarily in a good way.

Former Employee - EMT
    Former Employee - EMT

I worked at PMT Ambulance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing 911 services. Lots of opportunity for new EMTs getting into the business. Good springboard to working at a fire department. Good training department.

Cons

Small corporate structure, very few decision makers available day to day. No bonus structure or recognition for going the extra mile. CEO is micro-manager with profit as ultimate motivator, mostly by stepping on the little guys.

Consider providing bonus structure or some other form of reward system for employees who come up with good ideas to make your business better. No company party? Nothing to ever look forward to. Could also form charity committees and ask for volunteers to do community work, or something to build camaraderie. Very disjointed employee base without access corporate officials to hear our complaints.

"HAHA"

I have been working at PMT Ambulance

Pros

There are no pros to this company anymore since Rural Metro took over

Cons

Pay sucks, wont give raises, management is horrible

Great opportunity to help people, difficult to deal with management.

I worked at PMT Ambulance

Pros

A big pro is being able to gain experience in the pre-hospital medical field. Another big pro is being able to build relationships with great men and women of the healthcare field.

Cons

For me a major con was not being able to pick or have a say in what schedule you worked.

This company was recently bought out by a parent company, maybe some things have changed.

make it what you will but mostly negative

Current Employee - EMT-B in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with more often than not were the highlights. However there are some horrendous people who work there who cant get jobs anywhere else in healthcare.

Cons

Where do I start?

Dispatch was often petty and unprofessional and would send you on a certain calls just to get back to you.

Field supervisors really could care less and it showed. Certain ones only wanted to elevate there position in their superiors eyes but tattling on the littlest of things which made you think you were getting in trouble but really went no where.

Actually listen. Dont remind people that they can shake a tree just to replace you.

Pmt needs to wake up

Current Employee - EMT-B in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great, minus managment. The union icepaz is outstanding you can read up on thus union by going to www.icepaz.com

Cons

– The managment and company could care less about there employees. They will go to great lengths to screw there employees every chance they get. They pay less than they pay there sister company employees, that does the same exact job as we do. They make us pay to have our recerts done when they pay for there sister company ( southwest ambulance) emoyees recerts. They will sit down in a union negotiation and tell you we want to do the right thing and we feel confident we will have a contract with u in 90 days then tell u to stick it up ur ass cause we wont give them everything they want. Rural metro and PMT managment is a joke they preech to us to do the right thing when all they do is the wrong thing. Go to work for mcdonalds you will make more money and will not have to pay for schooling and recerts every two years not to mention you wont risk your health or life on a daily basis.

Pay us what our sister company gets paid for doing the same job. Collect unuon dues from us for our union and finally stop being a company that is out to get every employee that works for you. Treat us right and i assure you we will start caring more about ur bottom line.

PMT Ambulance needs improvement

Current Employee - Paramedic in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at PMT Ambulance

Pros

ems / 911 contractor. Provides access to the health care system for people that use the 911 systema nd the interfacility transport vehicles. The field Personnell is second to none, coming from all over the country to apply their expertise to the patients that need it. Yhe job is basically recession proof and keeps health care workers employed through some of the toughest times in American economic history.

Cons

Poor Management team that is unqualified in their job assignments and treat employees poorly. All employees are disposable and their safety isnt a concern of the management team. The pay scale has not changed in over 5 years, and the benefits will lead most to financial ruin if it is ever needed.

Your employees are what make the exobinent profits this company make. You have not only not shared them as you said you would, but belittled anyone who attempted to negotiate with you on any level, Reverse you poor treatment of the human race and employ a 21st century management style,

PMT Ambulance, A Rural/Metro Company- Spiraling the drain

Current Employee - EMT-B
    Current Employee - EMT-B

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Fantastic people working in the field.

-Awesome work schedule if you are lucky.

-Opens all kinds of doors for starting a career in the medical field.

-Great way to gain experience in Emergency Medicine.

Cons

-Company seems to hate its employees.

-Company tries to get rid of the employees after a year because they can replace them with new people they can pay less.

-Very little pay. ($9.60/hr for EMT-B)

-Crew quarters genuinely do not meet the basic needs of the employees.

-Ambulances are in a constant state of disrepair.

-Normally life-saving equipment is deemed "not necessary" by management.

-Unrealistic policies that change on a weekly basis without any notice to employees.

-Company belittles its workforce.

-No reward for hard work.

-No concern for employee safety.

-No concern for employee improvement. (Their solution is to terminate and hire somebody new.)

Dear Management of PMT Ambulance and Rural/Metro Corp.,

Please stop thinking so highly of yourselves and start thinking highly of your employees. They are the reason you make record profits year after year. They are the shinning example of the company. Instead of giving yourselves quarterly raises and awards perhaps it would be more beneficial to forward some of those pieces of paper to the employees who make it all happen. Even acknowledging that you see the hard work they put into every day and sincerely thanking them would do wonders for moral.

I recently read that your credit rating was downgraded to negative. This is entirely your fault. The direction you have chosen for this family of companies is not working. Perhaps a restructuring of the management team is now necessary. For example: AMR is not doing well either, why do you think hiring former leadership from that company will benefit you? Is promoting a secretary to manage two whole 911 contracted cities really the best thing for the company? How is outsourcing paramedics a financially savvy move when you pay them three times the average salary of your own paramedics?

These are just a couple thoughts that I hope will get your gears turning. It is time to turn this company around and not only make it a decent place to work but make it beneficial to the community.

Great for gaining experience, but once you have it, start looking elsewhere.

Current Employee - Dispatch
    Current Employee - Dispatch

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good job experience, on site Medic school for any EMTs who have been in the field for a year, and the fellow employees are awesome. With the exception of the dispatch/road crew divide that every EMS company has, everyone seems to have a great time with each other and be willing to help each other out in a pinch.

Cons

Employees are treated horribly by management. On the interfacility side, a 2 hour hold is mandatory, and seems to be taken advantage of to the extreme. Pay is lower than most other EMS companies of this size. Benefits are terrible. In dispatch specifically, raises have not been given in several years, nor have evaluations. Policies and procedures that are in place for road crews are held true in dispatch, even in cases where they make absolutely no sense. Dispatch also lacks an actual management team.

Hire more employees, and don't treat the ones you have like garbage. A 2 hour hold should only be used in extreme cases on the interfacility side, and not as an excuse to get 14 hours of work out of someone EVERY DAY. Raise pay and benefits to match that of our sister companies through Rural/Metro. We are one of their top 3 money makers, so it shouldn't be a problem to share so me of the profits with the employees who keep you in business.

PMT brining up the rear

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at PMT Ambulance full-time

Pros

Working with the field crews is one of the two good reasons to work at PMT. The second being that I really do enjoy being a medic.

Cons

PMTs main focus is to continually line the pockets of upper management at the cost of its field crews. They would rather see us go without to save a buck.Field management is taught and rewarded for being unsupportive of the field crews and no one in management is willing to stand up. There is a lot of power being flexed again at the cost of the field crews ( examples being having us getting off later for fuel, changing SOP on a regular basis,) as punishment to all for one crews mistake. PMT does the least to keep us in regulation and often with broken or damaged equipment. PMT does nothing to improve the trucks we drive often putting us in less than ideal situations. Dispatch also has a, "thing," with playing favorites with no reguard to how it affects field crews. This often results in some field crews doing very little while the rest of us make up the slack.

FYI rural metro does not own the monopoly due to federal regulations on how much can be charged for anything we provide for the patients.

Realize that you are only as good as those that choose to represent you and those of us in the field are who our clients, patients, and family members remember and be greatful by being appreciative of your field crews.