PNC Financial Services Group
3.2 of 5 1,001 reviews
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews in Cleveland, OH

Updated Jul 7, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IT Project Manager

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThe Company is highly employee focused

ConsDue to growth, the company has become somewhat beurocratic

Great Experience

Intern (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGood work life balance at work

ConsLong commute but compensation is nice

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue going in right direction

Analyst

Cleveland, OH

ProsBenefits and they care about their employees

ConsIt take management a long time to make decisions. To many meetings

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All in all a fairly good company to work for.

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
    Brecksville, OH

ProsFlexible schedule, great incentive program

ConsManagement places much too much faith in the work coach, human resource employees are out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do your homework on how some people are able to obtain their goals so much easier than others.

Information Technology seriously lacking...but getting better...

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThere is a lot of room to move within the organization. Also, this is one of the rare companies that still offers a pension. Health care is decent and 401K, they match 1 for 1 up to 4% of your salary. Ability to work remote 1 or 2 days a week. Great benefits!

ConsAside from the big business benefits, the IT management is awful and directly responsible for numerous problems with infrastrcuture. PNC is a cheap company when it comes to supporting their IT infrastructure (just look at their website....hello 90s) but is getting better now that management has been cleaned out. They will only get better, but it's going to take a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management: keep holding middle and lower management accountable. They will try to hide and blame others...keep the focus on them. Technicians follow the attitude of their leaders and right now, the attitude in IT couldn't be worse.

Tumultuous Change

Technology (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThe company seems stable. Their commitment to early childhood education and the environment are solid. Reasonable vacation time granted after years of service.

ConsThere has been so much change in Technology and Operations, and a lot of it seems questionable.

Everything seems to be priority number one, but there aren't enough folks to get it all done. That leads to a lot of "fighting" for attention.

More process gets layered on top of more process, stifling progress and frustrating employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate. Don't just say the same things over and over; rather, expand on ideas. Engage the skill sets of the employees who already work at the bank. Settle on a set of priorities and stick with them, setting other initiatives to the side.

PNC is a great company with opportunity to advance.

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThe team leaders are genuinely concerned about your training and job performance.
    The pay is probably commensurate with comparable banks.

ConsThe hiring process is too long. Mine took nearly 90 days from first contact to offer letter.
    You need to be in your present position for at least one year in order to be considered for another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the hiring process.

If you are in IT, this job is NOT for you!

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
    Strongsville, OH

ProsIt's a paycheck, and not much else. The benefits are actually quite poor.

ConsThis bank is WAY behind the tecnology curve. IT Systems at PNC are only upgraded when they are no longer supported by the manufacturer. There is no cutting edge technology anywhere in the bank. Technologies like Voice Over IP, Power Over Ethernet, Video Conferencing and WiFi are all largely absent from the PNC roster. Lotus Notes is the email platform in 2014, need I say more?

I had a manager who is a VP, and his boss, another VP, tell me that the way IT workers are tracked in his division is by logging into instant messaging. If you are not logged into IM, you are considered to NOT be working. If you are not on instant messaging, your boss starts sending notes via email and SMS text messages to your personal cell phone begin immediately to ask why you are not on Instant Messaging. Did you close out the huge fat instant messaging window on your desktop to perform other work? You are not on instant messaging, therefore, you are not working. The instant messaging client? An 8 year old version of Lotus Sametime.

This bank celebrates longevity. I met a guy who had been in the same job for 35 years and was retiring. Everyone at the bank thought it was absolutely wonderful. I thought to myself, if I am doing the same job in 35 years, shoot me.

This bank is takeover bait at best by a larger more efficient bank. Many people within PNC state that the bank is different and unique because it's a "relationship oriented bank". Do you have a relationship with your ATM? How about your local bank branch? Do you even know anyone's name in your local branch? This is an outdated company in a commoditized industry.

I was lied too in my interview process. Had a senior VP tell me bonuses were 15% for an AVP position. Learned on day two that bonuses for the position I was in were about 1%. Raises were also a joke in discussions with other people on the team, some averaging less than 1% a year.

My bosses boss who was a more senior VP told me that "At PNC, decision just happen, we don't make decisions. Decisions are dangerous and carry risk". That statement came from a guy with FOUR different MBA's from FOUR separate colleges at PNC who is running technology, but has no detailed technology experience.

Run away as fast as you can.

Great Company for Work/Life Balance

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsVery great work/life balance, work from home opportunities, paid vacation, great benefits, etc.

ConsDepending on the group, a lot of things are left up to manager discretion. Some management is a bit too traditional when it comes to dealing with millenials, so they need to work on that learning curve a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage youth (millenials)

Recruiting is just an assembly line. You're Better off working in a factory or call center!

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsThe only pro is having bank holidays off. Perhaps the occasional free calendar or pen that they sometimes give out.

ConsFalse promises of career advancement; Poor applicant tracking system; Unrealistic expectations and metrics to meet; Lunch breaks are almost non-existent; your career development is based on whether you're in the clique or not; Hard work and loyalty means nothing; Managers will move up whomever they were friends with in the branches first, over an employee who has been there for years; Some employees have three times the workload than others because they're more dependable - yet others who have 1/3 of that work get promoted. It's all about meeting numbers and deadlines, not about the employee as a person. A lot of lateral moves with no real career progression or salary increases. Equipment is outdated and cheap. Poor candidate experience due to being severely understaffed. Lack of communication regarding processes between Branch Managers and Recruiters.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire "experienced and educated" team leads and managers with real college degrees. You are losing a lot of hard working, educated and dedicated employees due to unprofessional and uneducated team leads and managers. Their doors are usually always closed and all they care about is numbers and themselves. They are unprofessional and unreachable at most times, yet turn on the personality when their boss calls from out of town. They are not adding value or leadership to the company, which in turn causes a negative work atmosphere and a high turnover rate. Managers should be a role model of what PNC stands for, not playing the system just to get a pay check. It's very disappointing.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings in Cleveland, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.