PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

3.2 1,003 reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

1,003 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance"
    in 82 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 54 reviews
Cons:
  • "upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea"
    in 44 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Inconsistent

Loan Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt's a great place to start to get a little experience so you can go somewhere else. The benefits are decent, but the company is shaving bits and pieces off of them every year to cut costs.

ConsHardly any raises, unrealistic expectations in the call center, there is no concept of teamwork or interdepartmental communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Human Resource at PNC is struggling due to a loss of key talent.

Recruiting Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPNC was formerly a great place to work, but the pinch on compensation is causing a mass exodus of Human Resources talent supporting Corporate Banking. Many of those that can leave - have left, or are currently looking to get out. In the past year, there are multiple key players that have left - leaving a knowledge and talent gap within HR.

ConsThe expense controls do not allow for exceptions- so negotiate your salary VERY WELL when you accept your position as raises to your base will be very limited (1-2%), The company is spread across the nation in terms of operations, but all key decision-making and career advancement is centralized to Pittsburgh. Also - be aware - it's an older "big bank" so nepotism is alive and well across the divisions of PNC. Many, many times I was asked to circulate a resume for a "son of a friend." There are good programs for diversity - and strong leaders driving that charge - but if you are female or diverse, you will need to get connected quickly and be both resilient and, at times, your own best advocate. There are pockets of well-skilled leaders that are trying to make a measurable difference - but sadly, the wheels of efficiency are blocked in many areas of HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul HR to be competency-based. Ruthlessly weed out those who do not possess the competencies required to be consultative and partnership-minded for the needs of the line of business.

Great for starting your career in retail banking.

Universal Branch Consultant (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat atmosphere to work in. Customer service is a primary focus. I would recommend for those starting in the banking industry.

ConsPay is one of the lowest in banking and the bonus structure is lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay scale to keep employees from moving to other banks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to get your foot in the door.

Default Specialist II (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsOkay base salary, managers are hit and miss, good coworkers, health benefits were good, employee appreciation was fun and was a good place to learn banking.

ConsIncentive was always changing and people would cheat the system to inflate numbers. Vacation was sometimes impossible due to only a few people being allowed off in one given day.

o.k place to work

Bank Teller (Current Employee)

Prosnice People to work with. Good hours for working Mothers.

Conslow pay. high sales pressure.

Advice to Senior Managementcare more about the People that work for you and less about the numbers.

Used to be a company I enjoyed working for.

Branch Financial Sales Consultant II (Current Employee)
    Lockport, IL

ProsThe teams I have worked for have been amazing. Great leadership, work environment, and people to work with.

ConsCompany is going in a direction I don't agree with. The company is trying to get employees to quit rather than having to fire them so they can't collect unemployment because we are being replaced with online and Atm capabilities. High sales expectations, more unrealistic than others. Undeniable presence of pressure from juggling many different "responsibilities".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your head up. We know that what you are doing has to be done to protect your job. Expectations are being pass down to you down the line, and your only option is to follow suit or search for employment elsewhere.

Branch Manager

ProsPersonal Growth, bonuses, learn and grow

ConsWe seem to be turning into every other bank.

It's all about who you know.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits options including HSA's and nice 401k, recognition for customer service.

ConsNo real growth, Short-sightedness in terms of goal setting. Competing cultures in terms of different business segments.

Please do your homework!

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsWhen i came in to PNC the company was focused on Customer Service and that was the major reason why i joined. They provide you with room to grow but wont tell you that you have to kiss their boots in order to get a higher possition (i guess is implied).

ConsCompany lost focus on customer service and now is all about sales, they paint a preatty picture but in reality if you dont make your sales your out the door. If you dont have your sales you have to do whatever it takes to get there, even if it means to work after business hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the focus on sales! I find myself selling PNC even on vacation!

PNC bank

ProsSolid management
    Highly trained staff
    work life balance is stable . Office culture is structured but fun. Very supportive staff

ConsHigh expectations to sell products in almost every position within the bank. New leadership in corporate part pushes higher turnover due to dissatisfaction among employees

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 1,003 reviews posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.