PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Apr 15, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

121 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Firstside Loan Operations Center

Loan Support Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a job that pays you, right above the welfare guidelines. I have met some great people there.

ConsFirstside operations center only: Nepotism, favoritism, promotions based on favoritism. Management (supervisors, etc.) lack college degrees and any sense of leadership. HR ignores low Gallup scores. High turnover!! Too much work for way too little money.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the racism, favoritism, and unprofessional behavior among yourselves. Start having employee reviews of your supervisors, managers, etc. maybe that way your management will behave in a more humane ways.

Amazing place to intern!

Business Systems Analyst Intern (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsWork Environment, Culture, Values, Compensation, Hands on Learning

ConsI have absolutely no complaints.

Good company. Great future with new Leaders of Technology in place

Technology Lead (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany opportunities in Technology. Pay is competitive for performers. Flexible work schedules (work from home, etc.) New COO/CIO is bringing in new Tech Executives and modern views of Technology. PNC is a leader in Financial Services and is very profitable.

ConsTechnology has lagged but future is promising.

An attractive starting salary but little long term incentive

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsPNC offers attractive starting salaries for new hires. The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance. Most of my co-workers have been great, hardworking people.

ConsPNC provides little long term incentive to stay with the company. Corporate guidance for annual salary increases is about 2%, with very few employees receiving any higher than that. It is also cumbersome to apply for other jobs internally at PNC.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employees than they realize are fatigued from expense reductions and are likely looking to external employment for relief.

Great company to start but plateau quickly

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management. On-boarding process is in depth and thorough. Rotational positions allow exposure to different departments and networking opportunities.

ConsOn-board so many people you become a number. Flood ranks with junior people which forces experienced workers out and promotions hard to come by. Different departments pay can be drastically different. Salary for experience professionals is significantly lower than industry average.

Great company

Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat leadership in company. Open door policy and room to advance

ConsBenefit changes No options and increased cost to employees

Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsStarting salary was decent.
Get to work from home twice a week.

ConsDisorganized.
Lots of throw away busy work.
Boss is micromanager.
Benefits are terrible.
Annual merit raises are a joke.
Feels like this massive enterprise is being managed and run like a small mom and pop shop.

PNC must have bought the technology innovation awards listed on their hiring site because everything I have to use on a daily basis is obsolete garbage or broken/poorly implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe strategy and discussion at the executive level sounds nice but it doesn't seem to be making it's way to the lower level of management as most of these people don't seem to be on the same page.

good training

Inside Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Proslots of room to grow and many things you can learn

Consyou are just a number nobody is important

Advice to Senior Managementshare the wealth

Great company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

ProsUp coming technology is dominating the market

ConsToo many employees management doesnt have time to spend with them

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on your employees help them achieve goals

Worst work experience I've ever had.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros*Flexible scheduling is supported in some departments.
*Bank holidays are a nice feature.
*Annual department outings are a nice way to get out of the office.

Cons*Below market compensation, including eroding benefits.
*Very poor technology and an unwillingness to spend what is needed to catch up.
*Management at all levels is very task oriented and tends to micro manage. Focusing on medium or longer term prospects is discouraged.
*Work/life balance depends on your manager. Mine liked to come early and stay late because he resented that his wife wanted to stay home with the kids. This caused him to want others to stay late, even if it wasn't necessary.
*Promotions are being kept to no more than 5% of the company. This is not a way to retain employees.
*If you are ambitious in your career, this is not the place for you. Too many people seem to have found low paying slots in the company and don't want change or to grow. Turnover has increased as it's easy to leave when compensation is so low. Company philosophy is to have more people in place, but at much lower pay. This is very demotivating if you expect to work with at least some vibrant smart people every day.
*Lack of accountability at all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a "fast follower" won't cut it any more. Need to become much more strategic. There needs to be a real sense of accountability at senior levels. Also, Gallup has become a farce. Too many department heads work hard to influence the scores without improving anything. Too many leaders set poor examples in terms of working collaboratively. This is a stagnant old company that is on its way to being a revolving door for younger employees if changes aren't made.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings in Pittsburgh, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.