PNC Financial Services Group

www.pnc.com

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management(in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea(in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in(in 20 reviews)

140 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Displaced after 101/2 years

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSome of the coworkers younger coworkers able to find other positions, not so for older workers

ConsDisplaced - laid off after 10 1/2 years with them at an age where I was just 5 years from retirement, devastating financially and emotionally. Unable to find comparable employment, senior management in same office did not have courtesy to even say goodbye.

Advice to Senior ManagementOlder workers need more assistance in finding new positions, a few years from retirement is not the time to layoff people, it is time to support them, how would you like it if this happened to you?

Lost Culture & Poor Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt's just a run of the mill, uninspired corporate job with subpar benefits.

ConsConfused, lazy management. Inconsistent, under developed, and in some cases, backwards metrics are used to measure department success. PNC is rotting away from the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know the company culture is horrendous, but you've got to try to flip the current paradigm. Stand up for good processes and practices. Defend yourself and your respective departments. Don't allow yourselves to be steamrolled by the higher ups who are so painfully out of touch that they're willing to accept the current level of employee attrition as an acceptable one.

BAD IDEAS WITH NEW UNIVERSAL BRANCH

Financial Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosgood sales incentives and good benefits

Consupper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea. bad ideas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company on solid footing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey do take care of their employees. Decent 401k and pension, and they encourage employees to take advantage of it. Decent salary, excellent opportunity for career growth.

ConsThey have restructured their quarterly bonus , and not in a way that favors the employees. There can be a lack of communication at times too.

Great company, but undergoing a lot of change; uncertain if for the better or worse

Enterprise Services Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThis is a great, stable company, and among the largest employers in Pittsburgh. Work life balance is said to be an important part of the culture at PNC, and fellow employees are generally very teamwork-oriented and happy to offer advice.

ConsThis company is undergoing significant change, especially in the area of Technology and Operations. This comes following the retirement of several key executives, including the former CEO. All of the organizational change has contributed to high anxiety and has made this company a relatively unpleasant place to work over the past year. This will change over time, but is expected to continue for the next few years.

Expense management is a high priority in order to improve PNC's efficiency ratio as compared to peer banks. This affects employees by making it difficult to advance, or to receive salary increases. It also means that salaries do not keep pace with cost-of-living increases.

The company places a lot of focus on its annual Gallup Employee Engagement Survey results. PNC scores well on this survey as a company, and has received Gallup's "Great Places to Work" recognition. The results are steeped in Gallup research, can be anonymously broken down by department, and seem to suggest clear areas for improvement. I found that the results led to a lot of action, but not to outcomes that might actually budge the needle. For example, one question focuses on whether employees understand what is expected of them at work, and another focuses on whether employees have the tools to do their job effectively. Both of these questions received low scores in my department. While management rallied around the low scores, invested considerable time in analyzing the scores, and assigned employees to work on improving the scores, the seemingly obvious solutions never materialized. One would have expected such scores to result in better training, more growth opportunities, and improved employee-technology.

Finally, PNC is such a large enterprise that it is a management-by-committee environment. No one person makes any decisions, which means difficult decisions are rarely made. The committee structure ensures that the organization moves very slow. In fact, it can take as many as three months for information to get from the bottom to the top because there are so many levels of management, and so many meetings for those managers to attend. With all of these meetings, mid-level managers are always trying to get into more meetings, and especially trying to get into meetings with more-senior-level managers. Being "in the know" often takes precedence over one's day job, and suddenly these managers are too busy to actually be productive. In any given meeting, it seems like there are only a handful of people actually doing work, i.e. having developed some work-product or other evidence of their work. Everybody else just heads from meeting to meeting trying to shell out "advice" and complaining about being caught up in their busy schedules. I would argue that the 9,500-some member Technology and Operations area could get the same level of productivity by eliminating about a quarter of mid-level and upper-mid-level management, as they're only around to be involved in this game of meeting charades.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpense management should not take precedence over keeping your talent engaged and ensuring they are growing and developing their skills. If you neglect them, they will become less-productive or leave.

Great Place To Work!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFor a large company, they do a great job of making individuals feel special/welcome during the onboarding process. The work/life balance is good, and benefits are very good too. There's a definite path to moving into higher positions within the company

ConsThere is nothing I can say at this point that would be a con. It's a great company with great leadership.

Underpaid, Under-appreciated and Allowed to be Harassed by a Manager

Manager, Internal Communications (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe company is in good financial shape.

ConsPay not competitive, employee relations is terrible, employees allowed to be harassed due to sexual orientation, limited grown opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, pay them market value, do not allow good employees to take abuse from their managers, do not allow discrimination to take place, do not allow managers to make up their own rules about time and attendance

Stay away from Supply Chain Management department

Project Manager III (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe department is growing and you have a chance to advance with it. The have a new practic- Supplier Relationship Management. Please read the Cons section.

ConsThis supply chain management department does not have a clear direction. They have changed department head two times with-in 2 years. Give it one more year then try to apply for a job there.

Growing pains

Mid-Level Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWorking in the headquarters city, I have visibility with senior executives.
    This is still a relationship bank, so it isn't as cutthroat as the largest banks both between employees and with customers.

ConsLike all of its peers, PNC is going through tremendous change due to the regulatory environment both in retail and corporate businesses.
    PNC is evolving from a small company to a big company, and there are bound to be growing pains along the way. Some managers still think small. Some new executives brought in to help with the growth don't fit into the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for those of us in the businesses to get what we need to grow our business from technology professionals without long waits and cumbersome processes.

Look elsewhere

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWork-life balance is ok. Except not flexible. Management expects you to be in your seat 8 hours a day. Compared to other industries 8 hours a day is good, but management makes it hard to take doctor's appointments and run errands and make up the time.

ConsTerrible raises, in a banner year at PNC a good raise is 2%. My manager told me she tried to give me a 2% raise but leadership cut my raise to 0.6%. I don't trust my manager. I received a "Meets All Expectations" at my year end review. In my development meeting with my manager, I asked them how I could get a better rating next year and what I needed to do to get promoted. Their response was that I was doing a great job and I just need to keep doing what i'm doing. There is no framework in place to understand how to get promoted or how to increase your raises. It is all up to the discretion of your manager.

Internal politics is so frustrating. Department Directors fight with each other instead of cooperating to get work done.

Vacation time expires each year and you cannot roll over unused time. I have a family and it makes it difficult to plan vacations because I need to have some reserve vacation time in case a child gets sick. PNC needs to move to PTO give people more vacation and allow indviduals to roll over at least 1 week of vacation per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle Managers need serious training on how to be effective and develop employees. Technology is terrible, PNC work computers are still operating on Windows XP and Office 2007. And Lotus notes email versus Microsoft outlook.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!